IGNORED

Shorts On the PGA Tour (Updated 2013, 2016)

GreensDruid
Note: This thread is 1580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PGA Tour allow its players to wear shorts during tournament rounds?

• Yes
    • Yes, with stipulations
    • No

I cringe thinking of this weekend's winner donning the green jacket while wearing shorts.  Yeah, that would be an iconic symbol.  Sorry, I think they should keep the pants, they earn the big bucks.  I'll continue to wear shorts.

CARBITE Putter

Originally Posted by phillyk

I don't really know about this, but has anybody actually heard a pro golfer complain about having to wear pants during a tournament?

I remember Michelle Wie doing so when she played against the men.  Does that count?

I am not sure my opinion matters, and agree with those that with modern fabrics, shorts are not that much cooler.  Since the majority of tournaments cater to their sponsers and customers, kind of a business casual situation, I can see why they would prefer a slightly more professional appearance.  I do believe caddies shoudl be allowed to wear shorts, probably with a simple dress code.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 1 year later...

Lee Westwood and Charl Schwartzel took advantage of the opportunity to wear shorts during the first round of the Turkish Airlines World Golf Final.  Hunter Mahan and Matt Kuchar also decided to give their ankles a breather.

Do you think Pros should be allowed to wear shorts?

Pics provided by Getty Images

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have no issues with the Pros wearing shorts.  I care about watching shot makers hit shots I could only dream of hitting.  And, I don't think it matters if they are hitting those amazing shots in pants, or if they're gaming shorts.

This is bigger than those shots of the Duchesse of Cambridge. Bare knees are a good thing, 'specially if you come from a climate like Britain's. No wonder Westwood is taking full advantage,

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

The one and only time I've worn long pants this year so far was for my Dad's 91st birthday party. So you can count me firmly in the shorts camp!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

And, I don't think it matters if they are hitting those amazing shots in pants.

Sometimes the differences in our language is great, and I mean that in a good way. To a Brit this would be one hell of a tournament dress code turn-around :-)

Pete Iveson

For an event like this, I have no problems, but like the pants on regular tour events.

I agree. Yes for the silly season, but I like pants during the regular tour events.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I have no problem with events like this. But, for the Tour events, I think pants are a must.

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

Originally Posted by lumpuckeroo

For an event like this, I have no problems, but like the pants on regular tour events.

I'm with this.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Sometimes the differences in our language is great, and I mean that in a good way. To a Brit this would be one hell of a tournament dress code turn-around :-)

What?

They should defer to the golf club local rules on this one. Augusta National--gotta wear pants Bethpage--knee length shorts permitted. Best shorts in pro golf (Ladies European Tour)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

for the one who say pants should be worn on tour...what is your reasoning?

Do you always wear pants when you play?

Not an attack..just curious about the reasoning.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Note: This thread is 1580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!