IGNORED

De-loft or not de-loft iron during swing??

very handicap
Note: This thread is 3560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been battling the issue with forward press (delofting the iron) for the last 1 year. I've taken some lesson from a pro, and he recommended some forward press on my iron swing. I notice that when i'm swinging well, the forward press will allow my ball flight to be lower, and make me the longest iron hitter among my buddies (e.g. 7 iron goes 165 yards). However, i also realize that having forward press also means that my grip tend to be strong, and on the day when i'm not swinging well, the strong grip is causing a big duck hook on iron shots.

Recently, i have changed to a more neutral grip and a "non-forward press" swing. The advantage of this is that the ball is going a lot straighter, but i seem to be losing up to 10-15 yards on distance per club.

Should i continue down this path and just use longer club for every shot?

Thanks.

I use a variation of the Hogan

5 Lessons swing. Hogan recommended addressing the iron shot with the club straight up and down, and then doing a waggle. The waggle supposedly would set the hands forward a bit, and encouraging hitting down on the ball. Similar to you, I had problems on days I was not swinging well. Sometimes the waggle would not really set the hands in front of the ball, and I ended up picking the shot clean, or scooping the ball (casting?) This spring I went to a forward press set-up with a waggle, and seem to be getting more consistent hits. Also, I would suggest that the forward press and the too-strong grip are separate, but related issues.
very handicap asked.... ... Should i continue down this path and just use longer club for every shot?

As one middle handicapper to another, I would suggest you consider going with whichever one will help your game and scoring the most. If we had time each week to hit the range three times

and play 36 holes, we could work on more hole-to-hole variations in our game. But I (and probably you) don't have that much golf time. If your area courses reward height and bite on your approach shots, I would sacrifice the distance and hit the extra club. If you have a lot of wind to contend with, you might want to continue with the delofting (especially if you have trouble with ballooning short iron shots).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When you don't do the forward press, do you scoop? Hit it fat? Don't hit down on the ball? What was the reasoning behind the pro telling you to do the forward press?

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

EVERY crisp iron shot has the hands slightly ahead of the ball at impact... every one. Shaft flex does some of this for you, but your swing should add to this slightly. Not a two or three inch "forward press" at impact but somewhere between 0 and maybe 2, 2 /1/2?

It will be different for various irons, shots, and of course handicaps.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I started doing a slight forward press with my irons and, dam. I am getting more consistent ball flight, better contact,and the added distance is just a bonus.

nike.gifTour
ping.gifG10 Driver 9*
ping.gifG10 3Wood 15.5*ping.gifG10 5Wood 18.5*ping.gifG10 Irons 4- PWping.gifTour Wedges 50*, 56*, 60*odyssey.gifPutter 33" Sabertoothbridgestone.gifBall E6

I only "purposely" deloft my irons when I'm punching out of the trees and need a way lower trajectory.. Other than that I don't consciously try to create more or less loft on normal swings.

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

I only "purposely" deloft my irons when I'm punching out of the trees and need a way lower trajectory.. Other than that I don't consciously try to create more or less loft on normal swings.

I find forward pressing to cure hooks for me. Its hard to flip at the ball with your hands forward.

I find forward pressing to cure hooks for me. Its hard to flip at the ball with your hands forward.

True, I see where you are coming from but I don't suffer much from hooks :)

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

De-lofting irons helps me get more of a hip slide/turn in before actually hitting the ball. It helps my meager distance a bit by letting me use my body a bit more to generate more clubhead speed.

EVERY crisp iron shot has the hands slightly ahead of the ball at impact... every one.

yup. thats what i was going to say more or less

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

I've taken some lesson from a pro, and he recommended some forward press on my iron swing. I notice that when i'm swinging well, the forward press will allow my ball flight to be lower, and make me the longest iron hitter among my buddies (e.g. 7 iron goes 165 yards). However, i also realize that having forward press also means that my grip tend to be strong, and on the day when i'm not swinging well, the strong grip is causing a big duck hook on iron shots.

Fix your grip, then!

Excellent players all have their hands ahead of the ball at impact. The pro was right to try to help you build that into your swing. If there are problems that arise while you correct your swing, address the problems rather than giving up on the proper swing. -Andrew

Doesn't it also depend on the club? Good players will tend to deloft short irons but add loft to long irons in order to optimize their launch conditions with both.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

I add loft if I need a mid iron to get up and carry (with a slight help wind) and land soft.
I de-loft if I'm keeping it low and out of the wind, or punching, or bump-and-running.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

• 3 years later...

I just started using a forward press at setup this past week, and it improved my ball striking significantly. I was hitting everything crisp and for good, consistent distance. I feel that it is a good trigger for my back swing, and helps me create enough lag on my swing. It did start to get a little too forward in the later holes, and cost me a little consistency, but I still got myself in good positions around the green.

In my :tmade: Burner Golf Bag

:tmade:R1 Black Driver 10.5 degrees

:tmade:RBZ 3-Wood

:tmade:Burner Superfast 2.0 3-hybrid

:tmade:Burner 2.0 irons 4-PW, AW, SW, LW

:tmade:Spiderblade putter

:adidas:Audizero Golf shoes

Note: This thread is 3560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!