IGNORED

The best long iron shot you've ever seen on TV

CPT
Note: This thread is 4988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hope you're kidding.

I believe they were referring to someone carrying hybrids to replace 4 and 5 irons, and most tour players dont. Some carry to replace a 3, but that is as far as it goes... normally.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the attitude that hybrids are somehow separate from other golf clubs, and so much easier to hit than everything else that's come before. There has always been all kinds of different equipment in the game of golf, including clubs in the 1910's and 20's that look eerily like hybrids with hickory shafts.

Hybrids have their advantages, and their disadvantages-but they don't somehow magically make difficult shots easy. I've seen tons of golfers hit absolutely terrible shots with hybrids-at least as much as with any other type of club. They require a specific approach and swing to pay off-which is why we've seen pros gradually add them to their bags over the last decade. Higher lofted hybrids don't work for me, mine are all 16*-20*. Sometimes I play with 2, sometimes none. Just another club. Y.E. Yang's shot was outstanding.

I suck at hitting hybrids so more power to people who can hit them. I hit my muscle backs higher/better.

as for long irons, Just take a look at Tiger's week at Hoylake or Jack's 1 iron.

I don't understand the attitude that hybrids are somehow separate from other golf clubs, and so much easier to hit than everything else that's come before. There has always been all kinds of different equipment in the game of golf, including clubs in the 1910's and 20's that look eerily like hybrids with hickory shafts.

With the right swing on both clubs, a properly fit hybrid is easier to hit out of the rough than a 3-iron. Equipment manufacturers might tend to exaggerate their usefulness to the point where high handicappers think they're magic, but trust me, those players would have F'd up that shot with anything longer than a 7 iron. Take into consideration the last few times you've witnessed a duffer make a mess of a hybrid shot from the rough - now picture someone making that same godawful swing while clutching a 3-iron. : (

A flyer lie and a crisply struck 5 iron can very long, with the result being more in doubt the longer the iron gets. Theoretically a person should be able to put the same swing on a 2-ron and a 19.5* Fybrid and get the ball out of the rough. Yeah, I'm sure that's possible, but not very likely. The day I can hit a 2-iron out the rough and hold the green from the same distance I can make that shot with a hybrid, I'll start a thread telling people they should throw their hybrids away and game muscleback 2-irons. FYI - Don't hold your breath.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!