IGNORED

The best long iron shot you've ever seen on TV

Note: This thread is 3834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Isn't this the one? I remembered seeing this one live on TV when he cruised to win the US Open during his best years.

High fade, 263 yards, 2-iron. Never going to be able to do anything close to that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't hit my drives 264 yards. That is amazing.
But I think Tiger's best iron shot was the 8-iron from 185 yards -- wasn't it in the 2008 US Open? -- from the adjacent fairway, over the trees, to a peninsula green.

It was a few years ago, Phil Mickelson was playing in the World Golf Championships at the Greatwater course at Renyolds Plantation. 2nd shot on a par 5, 283yds across the water to a small green. 3 iron for a DOUBLE EAGLE...AMAZING. I still play there and think about it every time I walk by the bronze plaque in the fairway. Many times I have hit 2 iron, and 3 wood and yet to carry it, but I still try every time.

Phil's iron out of the pine needles at this year's Master's on hole 13 was pretty remarkable because the lie is steep downhill, and the margin of error was pretty small with the steep banked creek staring at him. The ball can squirt anywhere on shots like that. It looked like he hit it super high and soft, just landing in the perfect place.

Phil's iron out of the pine needles at this year's Master's on hole 13 was pretty remarkable because the lie is steep downhill, and the margin of error was pretty small with the steep banked creek staring at him. The ball can squirt anywhere on shots like that. It looked like he hit it super high and soft, just landing in the perfect place.

I was standing about 20 feet from that shot, I remember turning to my buddy and saying "well, this is where Phil throws it away!!!" So much for the doubters, I remember there were alot of "holy Sh#t" coming from the gallery. Dude has game!

Jack Nicklaus 1 iron 1972 US Open

beat me to the punch

you know the clubs were bad back then when Jack (a huge hitter) hit a 1 iron 218 yards and Tiger hit a 263y 2 iron.

you know the clubs were bad back then when Jack (a huge hitter) hit a 1 iron 218 yards and Tiger hit a 263y 2 iron.

It had very little to do with the clubs and everything to do with the ball!

beat me to the punch

Well, the lofts are probably equivalent, Jack's 1 iron had the loft of some of today's 3 irons. Plus it was extremely windy. But the biggest difference is probably the ball.

OK, on the border of "long iron" but Rory McIlroy's 210 yard five iron to three feet on the 15th at Quail Hollow this year was just one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It had very little to do with the clubs and everything to do with the ball!

Hmm okay. Equipment then. I thought the shafts and technology of the club head weren't nearly as good as they are today and that a had a big impact on distance.

OK, on the border of "long iron" but Rory McIlroy's 210 yard five iron to three feet on the 15th at Quail Hollow this year was just one of the sweetest swings I've ever seen.

Thats the shot that is filmed between the trees right ? If so, that finish, the whole swing really, is just a thing of beauty and determination.

Wow, the look in Tiger's eyes is just awesome. Hope to see it again soon!

Didn't see this one live, but the 4-iron hit at the President's Cup was pretty sweet. Mostly because of his reaction. Look of a killer in his eyes, hands in the hair when the ball didn't even land yet.

Thats the shot that is filmed between the trees right ? If so, that finish, the whole swing really, is just a thing of beauty and determination.

Yeah, that's it. Ripped a 352 yard drive, hit the second stone dead, tapped in for eagle. Way to play a par 5!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess it's technically a mid-iron shot but Tiger's 6-iron over water from the fairway bunker on the 72nd hole at the Canadian Open was fantastic.

Also, not a long iron but Corey Pavin's 4-wood at the 72nd hole in 95 US Open was amazing.

Note: This thread is 3834 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!