IGNORED

Aggressive or Conservative?

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm playing in the club matchplay knockout competition.

I'm through to round 2 and I was paired against a 16 handicapper, he doesn't play regularly in competitions so I don't know how he plays.
Yesterday I played 9 holes. I made 4 pars, 1 bogey and 2 doubles and 2 triples.
the 2 triples were because of OB drives.

As most of you who play matchplay know, taking the lead early is important. Should I start off aggressive with the driver as I'm a pretty long hitter or should I stick hitting my hybrid off the tee and making the odd par and mostly bogeys waiting for him to slip up?

it's matchplay. i'd take it aggressive first and see how you play your driver. but thats me by nature...i don't like competing conservatively...but on the flip side, i also don't like playing 'catch-up' because I OB'ed a bunch of drives early on. I still say take a driver for first few holes...if your driving like crap, put that stick down.

If your hitting further than him see if he hits the green,if he misses you aim for the center of the green.If he hits the green you aim 3yrds left or right of the pin pending if the pin is on the left side or right side of green.

I would say don't do anything to get yourself down early. Taking an early lead is not nearly as important as avoiding giving away a fairly even match by playing aggressively when it isn't necessary. I don't believe in taking risks in match play unless there is a need for it. Grinding out par after par can wear a typical opponent down. Avoid donating any holes to your opponent, and try to make him feel as if HE is the one who has to get aggressive in order to win a hole. If you get him to deviate from his normal game, then half the battle is won.

I'm playing a semifinal match in one of our match play bracket tournaments tomorrow. Winner goes to the finals. I will simply play a fairly conservative game to start and see what happens. I'll base my continuing strategy on how the match progresses. That has been a fairly successful match play strategy for me over the years. Most of my match losses seem to come where either my swing just isn't there that day, or I just hit an opponent on one of his good days. Most of our club matches come down the last 3 holes (often they go into extra holes), so I always try to still be in the match for as long as possible, and that means not doing anything stupid to beat myself.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just play your game the way you know how to. A few weeks ago was our club championship and I tried to play the same as the others in my flight and it bit me in the you know what. You know what clubs to hit and where to play smart or go all out.

. Should I start off aggressive with the driver as I'm a pretty long hitter or should I stick hitting my hybrid off the tee and making the odd par and mostly bogeys waiting for him to slip up?

He's roughly the same handicap as you. He might be waiting for you to slip up. Play your normal game.

I lost on the 17th.
But I played the best golf of my life. I made 9 pars, 8 bogeys and a double. 10 over.

I played aggressive and so did he. It was a great game and neither of us was up by more than 2.
I couldn't have played any better.

Im conservative by nature in matchplay. Middle of the greens, lay up if I dont have the shot, iron off the tees etc. Make your opponent have to hit the pinseeking shots. Do you know how disheartening it is to see the guy you are playing with always near the pin?

That being said, see how the first few holes go. If he seems to be a guy who is capable of an 8 and then a 3, you have to play smart and pick your spots.

Hopefully he'll you can hit it past him so you can see what he's doing with his approach.

EDIT: Didnt read the results until after my post. GOOD job on the round. Matches are a blast.

The way I see it, you keep making pars, he'll eat himself up. If you can keep playing good hole after good hole, it will start to get to him. You're not going to birdie every hole. However, on holes where you have an opportunity to attack, you got to go for it. Good luck!
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The way I see it, you keep making pars, he'll eat himself up. If you can keep playing good hole after good hole, it will start to get to him. You're not going to birdie every hole. However, on holes where you have an opportunity to attack, you got to go for it. Good luck!

you are aware that posted already reposted saying he played aggresive, great and lost a tough match right?

Note: This thread is 3987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!