IGNORED

European Ryder Cup team

bogie
Note: This thread is 4956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ed. Molinari birdies the last 3 holes at the Johnnie Walker to win the tournament and grab a captain's pick. Bravo Mr. Molinari.

Harrington has not been in form from 2009-2010. As everyone knows he owns 3 majors. Harrington is still a good scrambler and putter. Perhaps Montgomerie was thinking of an all-Irish duo with McIlroy. (Read cracking the code by Azinger/Braund).

For me the last slot would've come down to Rose and Casey, Monty chose Donald.

Rose 2009: Masters T-20, US T-108, British T-13, PGA T-81
2010: Masters DNP, US 157, British 78, PGA 99
2010: W Memorial, AT&T;
Last 3 starts prior to Barclays: British Open Cut, Firestone T-19, PGA Cut

Scoring avg: 69.81, driving distance: 287 yrds, GIR: 67.45, scrambling: 64.27, putts per round 28.73

Luke Donald 2009 Masters T-38, US T-61, British T-5, PGA T-43
2010 Masters 54, US 47, British 11, PGA 109
2010 Season W Madrid masters, 2nd Riviera, T3 Harbour Town, 3rd Canadian Open.
Last 3 starts prior to Barclays: 3rd Canadian, T-46 Firestone, PGA Cut

Scoring avg. 70.62, driving distance 276.4, GIR: 64.96%, scrambling 66.16%, putts per round 28.56.

Rose with his 2 wins, better stats and prior history with Poulter would seem to have been a better pick than Donald. However Rose missed cuts at the worst possible time in St. Andrews and the PGA. In 2008 people accused Faldo of favoritism in selecting Poulter who had so-so results that year. Poulter than lit it up at the Ryder Cup.

I would've selected Rose. Now to use a cop-out line, time will tell about the Donald pick.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps Montgomerie was thinking of an

Rory's much more likely to play with Graeme McDowell.Played together in the World cup and did reasonably well.Good friends also.Not sure who Harrington would be paired with, but I think it'd be interesting if he was put with Martin Kaymer, another efficient grinder when needs be.That's a pairing I'd hate to face.Miguel Angel might be another option to put with Paddy, as two of the more experienced members of the team, they could be tough to beat together.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

The World Cup of Golf 2009. Thanks for the tip. In the coming weeks it will be interesting to talk about pairings. Both from a stats, generalization about game/personality types and past histories.

I think Monte is a douche bag for announcing the team during the Barclays. When Tiger had a press conference during a match there was a poop storm. Seeing how it emotionally effected the Euros.........it just seemed like a dick move.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good picks imo, I heard alot of people are upset about harry being picked but some experience is needed I think, mollinari bros and the two mc,s will be unstoppable in imo, I really cant wait when are tthe american wildcard picks?

Monty had a very tough job to do with his captain's picks. Casey and Rose will act like gentleman, but they've got to be burning inside. Isn't Casey ranked #8 in the world golf rankings?

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I think Monte is a douche bag for announcing the team during the Barclays. When Tiger had a press conference during a match there was a poop storm. Seeing how it emotionally effected the Euros.........it just seemed like a dick move.

The announcement today was scheduled months ago - late in 2009. As the regular supply of crystal balls had dried up, no-one foresaw the current situation. The timing was the same two years ago and caused no problems then. When do you suggest the announcement press conference be held? At 1am UK time?

Er...you are aware of time differences, I hope? Tiger is on the PGA Tour and his press conference was in the middle of a PGA Tour event. The European Ryder Cup Team is announced by the European Tour at the end of a European Tour event.

Monty had a very tough job to do with his captain's picks. Casey and Rose will act like gentleman, but they've got to be burning inside. Isn't Casey ranked #8 in the world golf rankings?

Casey is ranked No 9.

It's the most difficult job any European captain has had, because Europe has never had the 'embarrassment of riches' before - the team virtually picked itself. The only controversy, really, was Poulter, two years ago - and he did more than enough to silence the critics (the Bjorn/Clarke fuss in the previous fixture was a non-event - the only person who really thought it was controversial was Bjorn). Personally, I would have gone with Casey over Harrington, on the last 18 months' form plus the last two Ryder Cup performances - but I accept the reasons Monty has given for his decision. They're valid, they're just not the ones I would have relied on, in the end. But an argument can be made for each of at least another 8 players, including Rhys Davies, Simon Dyson and Ross McGowan. Glad it wasn't my head above the parapet!

The announcement today was scheduled months ago - late in 2009. As the regular supply of crystal balls had dried up, no-one foresaw the current situation. The timing was the same two years ago and caused no problems then. When do you suggest the announcement press conference be held? At 1am UK time?

Your statement really of time really doesn't make sense. The PGA schedule was in effect well before this annoucement was planned and it is idiotic to think that some of the prime players would not be playing in the first FEDEX playoffs. A Monday morning annoucement would have been more than welcomed I am sure.

I would have taken Rose and Casey over Harrington and Donald. Harrington, though I really like him, has been very mediocre for the last two years and Faldo on CBS today said he has picked up 1 of a possible 10 points in his Ryder Cup career. Donald is too up and down and I'm not sure why, again I like him, I don't get a good vibe from him in terms of him being able to play well in the Ryder Cup; I guess I question his mental toughness.

Looking forward to watching it all unfold.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

OK, take back from previous evaluation of Donald... just read on ESPN he is 5-1-1 in Ryder Cups.... still I don't have a good gut feeling over his selection for this Ryder Cup for some reason. Hope he proves my intuition wrong.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

Some stuff being written on here in just plain wrong. The European Qualification is a bit obscure with the two lists but basically

Molinari - World 5th, Euro 10th
Donald - World 6th, Euro 16th
Harrington - World 8th, Euro 12th
Rose - World 9th, Euro 72nd
Casey - World 12th, Euro 11th

So Monty went for the guys that were the next three highest on the world points list that hadn't qualified - hardly that controversial??

Molinari had to be picked - missed by one spot on both lists - two wins this year, including the last qualifying event, ready made partnership
Harrington has not had a great year by his standards - but his standards are higher than everybody else on teh team - he has more majors than the rest of the team combined - and look at the standings - not exactly that he has been picked from nowhere. Also his game is far more suited to Wales in October than Casey or Rose
Rose to my mind had 3 good weeks in the US - and hasn't done anything before or after - and realy importantly didn't make any effort to qualify from Europe - this would have been a big thing for Monty
To my mind Casey is the unlucky one - Donald/Casey is probably a close run thing - I think the fact that Donald could probably partner anybody on the team is what got him in there

First partnerships - Westwood/Donald, McIlroy/McDowell, Harrington/Kaymer, Molinari/Molinari

Your statement really of time really doesn't make sense. The PGA schedule was in effect well before this annoucement was planned and it is idiotic to think that some of the prime players would not be playing in the first FEDEX playoffs. A Monday morning annoucement would have been more than welcomed I am sure.

I think you may overestimate the importance of the FedEx Cup to the European Tour. Its competition is the Race to Dubai, with its nice pot of gold at the Dubai World Championship. The FedEx Cup is important, yes (especially to the players in it) but it isn't a European Tour series.

The European Tour qualification period runs to the conclusion of the Johnnie Walker Championship. The Ryder Cup team is announced after that tournament and in time for European newspaper deadlines. Simple as that.

Faldo on CBS today said he has picked up 1 of a possible 10 points in his Ryder Cup career.

You see, this is why we don't listen to people like Nick Faldo.Harrington's record is 7-11-3.He's won 8.5 points in 21 matches, which isn't that impressive, but he's been on 3 winning teams in 5 Ryder Cup appearances nonetheless. The pick could have gone to Paul Casey, who was unlucky with a long injury lay off last year, and who has a great matchplay and Ryder cup record.Harrington's major wins are probably what settled it for Monty.I think he did the right thing leaving out Rose though.In 2 years, Rose had one hot spell that lasted little more than a month.He missed both cuts in the Majors he played this year.I don't think he's that reliable under real pressure and has little Ryder cup experience. Every English golf presenter I've heard from since the picks were announced has been almost spitting mad that Harrington was picked over Casey and Rose.What do they want, an all-English Ryder cup team? 5 Ryder cup appearances and 3 Major wins counts for a lot, like it or not.
A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

You see, this is why we don't listen to people like Nick Faldo.

The pick could have gone to Paul Casey, who was unlucky with a long injury lay off last year, and who has a great matchplay and Ryder cup record.Harrington's major wins are probably what settled it for Monty.I think he did the right thing leaving out Rose though.In 2 years, Rose had one hot spell that lasted little more than a month.He missed both cuts in the Majors he played this year.I don't think he's that reliable under real pressure and has little Ryder cup experience.

That's a little unfair - Rose performed rather well in the last RC. He and Poulter were the only ones who truly acquitted themselves well.

The point about Monty picking the next three on the World points list is an interesting one, which had escaped my attention. It reinforces his choices, really. One feels sorry for Casey - but also for Rose. And Rhys Davies, who did so well at Celtic Manor in the Wales Open and is Welsh - every little helps! And a few others, too. This year, we have such a wide range to choose from, there was always going to be someone - or some people - outstanding left out. Harrington may turn out to be inspired, he may turn out to be a broken-down donkey. But that could be true of any of them! What we know for certain is that the Molinaris will bring a bit of fire in their bellies, as will Sergio, and Miguel, and even Kaymer, in his quiet way.
Every English golf presenter I've heard from since the picks were announced has been almost spitting mad that Harrington was picked over Casey and Rose.What do they want, an all-English Ryder cup team?

You have a point. There has been chat this year about the 'tradition' of the Ryder Cup and what Sam Ryder intended - the underspoken point is, we can do without those Johnny Foreigners. Older, 'traditionalist', be-jumpered wine-swigging pundits - I think we know what we're talking about, here?

Quick reminder to anyone who yearns for a return to the historical competition (a point I've made on other forums): the established 'tradition' of the Ryder Cup up to the extension to include all of Europe was that the US kicked GB&I;'s butts from here to Christmas next year. That's what happened for decades, interrupted only by Lindrick in the 1950s and the Concession in 1969. They did it without all their big stars turning up - Tom Weiskopf went moose hunting one time, I believe, rather than be bothered playing. And I think that was when it was at home, too. And hardly anyone came to watch - there might have been some edited highlights on TV but I don't remember that far back. Jack Nicklaus saw it was on the verge of dying if it didn't turn into a proper contest; it was, I believe, his idea that it should include Europe - so another tick on Jack's credit score. To anyone who suggests it should revert to GB&I; should be told, in no uncertain terems, that they are talking out of their backsides. And we all know what comes out of there. We - and the whole golfing world - owe the European inclusion a hell of a lot. (Oh, and the American commentator chuntering on about the 'globalisation of golf' last night because Martin Laird, from Scotland(!) was leading the Barclays, was also talking either through a hole in his arse or from previously-unplumbed depths of ignorance.)

I think you may overestimate the importance of the FedEx Cup to the European Tour. Its competition is the Race to Dubai, with its nice pot of gold at the Dubai World Championship. The FedEx Cup is important, yes (especially to the players in it) but it isn't a European Tour series.

Tell that to Paul Casey

Note: This thread is 4956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!