IGNORED

What does it mean to be a good ball striker?

very handicap
Note: This thread is 4869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 2 months later...
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours...rikers#slide=1

This provides a good idea of good ball striking and the best of all time.

Driver: Nakashima 10.5 degree
3 Wood: 15 degree F2
Hybrids: 19 and 21 degree
Irons: MP-58, 4-9 iron
Wedges: Vokey sm 47.06, 53.08, 58.08Putter: studio select 2.5Ball: Pro Vx : Warren Golf Club 73.6 : 146

Greg Norman once said that when he was on he could hit the ball with in a foot of were he wanted to hit it.

But golf Digest just did a list of best ball strikers, The few i can remember were,

Lee Travino
Nick Price
Tiger Woods

Since Nick Price is my altime favorite golfer, he was tearing it up when i first started watching golf back in the 90's, they say that his irons sounded like they were shot of a cannon he would it them so flush.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The tag "great ball striker" , with no majors is a nice way of saying 'terrible putter'

Or it's in the head somehow. Case in point, Joe Durant.

FIR: 76%, 2nd GIR: 72%, 3rd Proximity to hole: 31'6" 3rd Scoring average before cut: 69.48 1st Final round scoring average: 71.43 127th

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Great ball striker besides of what all its been said in this threae, is the ability to hit it flush, solid, in the sweat spot, with great lag, in a downward motion, taking a divot after the ball (with irons of course) compressing the ball against the turf, therefore feeling that glorious sensation that can only be feel a couple of times in a round of 18 holes.

What´s in my bag

Driver: Hibore Monster 10.5 Regular Flex, Fujikura
3 wood: Big Bertha 15 Stiff Flex
Hybrid: Halo 22 (3) StiffIrons: X18 3-PWWedges: Vokey Spin 56; 60Putter: Ball: Pro V1

The interesting thing about ball striking is that it can be something completely independent of game play. I think of myself as a good ball striker in the sense that i am able to consistently make great contact with the ball and not hit it fat/thin/etc... However good ball striking does not make good game play. As I will often miss greens but make almost every fairway. To me a great ball striker is one who has able to have consistent hits AND stellar game play.

A great ballstriker can leave his 7i in the trunk because there isn't a 7i shot on the course.

Not saying I'm a good ballstriker, but I honestly can't tell you the last time I hit a 7i. Hmmmm.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

• Administrator
not really...

Perhaps rather than the short and snarky you could tell the guy why his answer is poor.

Your answer was the opposite of helpful and informative.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

the ability to hit it flush, solid, in the sweat spot

Of all the posts, I think this captured it best.

@ cassino - when you're 180 yards out, do you step on an 8, or hit a 3/4 shot with a 6?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4869 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!