IGNORED

Drill for faster hip turn?

TTJR
Note: This thread is 4958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking at my swing on video my hips are pointing sideways to the target and then after I hit the ball my belt buckle is at the target. Any drills or suggestions for me to get my hips turning sooner?

I can tell you what works for me. First off I am not sure you are looking for a faster hip turn more likely an earlier one. The movement of the lower body in my opinion is most critical for developing power and a good impact position. During the backswing I feel my right hip moving straight backwards (perpendicular to the target line and away from the ball). This prevents swaying and keeps my body centered while still allowing weight to transfer to the back foot via a coiling action. Just as the club gets to top of my backswing a line drawn across my hips will point right of the target. The club is just finishing the back swing when I start sliding my hips along that line. Everything else happens automatically. Timing wise you want to perform the hip slide while the club is still travelling to the top of your swing. For more power slide the hips a little sooner in the backswing to create more lag but be careful. Too soon and the club will get trapped behind you and the ball will end up going right. Also, keep your grip pressure light and your arms/wrists/hands passive.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

For sure looking for a earlier hip turn, my son tells me I have a great finish position but I guess it not soon enough. Sliding the hips toward the target, then turning them? After playing golf for over 40 years I have learned how to play with poor impact and loss of distance, only saving grace for me is my short game. Most par 4's I am short of the green in two then have to rely on my 56 degree wedge to put it close and get a par. My two sons are 18 and 20 and both murder the ball, I am not trying to hit it as far as them, but would like to at least have the proper swing technique. Thanks for the help!

We're in the same boat, and similar handicaps as well. I think is what's keeping me from getting over the hump and consistently playing in single digits. I've been told by a pro who took a quick look at my swing that my finish position was "fake". Meaning, I wasn't really in a good impact position and then basically I just lift my arms up to make it look like a decent finish. Apparently I have the slide part down, but at impact my hips are almost pointing towards the ball(ever so slightly towards the target at best). Causes me to kind of lift up to finish the swing since my hips are in the way and haven't cleared.

Here's a clip of my swing and you can see what I'm talking about. notice that cramped/chicken wing position at or just after impact. For the life of me I can't seem to change it. Sorry for hijacking the thread, this is not meant to be a "help $2 nassau post" but I think the vid could help identify problems and hopefully we can both fix it.

http://www.swingacademy.com/videoPlayer.aspx?id=7383

I dunno, I practiced about 10-15 minutes a day setting up for my shot and then going through my backswing, rather than practicing my downswing I just practice getting my hips around before moving my arms. You outta notice your arms should be pretty far through the downswing. I just kept practicing this until it felt natural to get my hips around before swinging my arms through the ball.

In the Bag:
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2
Fairway wood: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2 4 wood
Hybrid: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2
Irons: some type of generic imitation, will look asapSand Wedge: Nike

for me it feels like I start the downswing by slowly starting to turn my left hip towards the back but trying to visualize the wall/chair thing....I stress feel because when I look at it on video, I am definitely moving to my left pivot point via a weight transfer/small slide. I concentrate on a smooth slow turning back of the left just as I reach the top of my backswing.

In the bag:
G-15 9 degree with Proforce V2
Ping Anser V-2
MP-52 3-PW, JPX-800 Pros 3-PW
52-08, 56-11 Vokeys G-15 15.5 3W G-10 5W

Oh man I never slowly turn my hips, I always find I strike the ball better when I really get my hips around before moving my arms.

In the Bag:
Driver: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2
Fairway wood: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2 4 wood
Hybrid: Nike Sasquatch Sumo2
Irons: some type of generic imitation, will look asapSand Wedge: Nike

• Administrator
Heh.

I'm working on a slower hip turn. More linear, and less open at impact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

$2 Nassau, If I could figure out how to post my video you would see our finish is just about the same, thanks for showing your video. It just seems like after looking at all the pictures of the PGA pros we could do it too! LOL.... Maybe someday we can figure it out.

Heh.

That's interesting. I'm guessing getting the hips to open has never been a problem for you. For me the slide has always been there but virtually no rotation at all.

I'm trying to exaggerate the feeling right now, then I guess I can scale it back a little if needed.

I'm trying to exaggerate the feeling right now, then I guess I can scale it back a little if needed.

Try to have your front leg flexed a little longer. The earlier you straighten your legs, the less the hips will be able to turn.

Had a look at your video. Simply compare yours to Charlie Wis - great legwork.

• Administrator
Try to have your front leg flexed a little longer. The earlier you straighten your legs, the less the hips will be able to turn.

I think it's quite the opposite of the last part, Holger. The extension of the left leg is partly what allows you to turn (just as straightening the right leg on the backswing allows your hips to turn).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!