IGNORED

Best high handicap irons

kam
Note: This thread is 4889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in the market for new irons. I currently have a set of ram golf clubs. I am beginner golfer and a high handicap player. I would like to get irons that are forgiving. I was wondering what irons you would choose if you were going to get new irons.

-KB

I like my irons and they are tops for forgiveness. I chose them when I chose to throw my ego away and get stuff that works. They are in my sig..Mizuno MX-100s. All depends on your budget as well. Adams A3OS sets can be found for good prices. Tell us what you want to spend.

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

I have a 300 dollar gift card. I would be willing to spend about 400 dollars out of my pocket. So around 700 dollars.

-KB

Taylormade Burner Plus
Titleist AP1
Ping G15
Cleveland CG Gold
Callaway X20 or 22 or Diablo
Nike Full Cavity

Those are just a few to name off the top of my name that are pretty forgiving. You should just make a list and narrow it down to about 5-6 and hit them. I know I started with about 2 or 3 and then ended up trying about 8 different sets. I would recommend that you try and get fit as well because it will help you out in the long run and really get you started on a good note.

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

I'd say that there isn't any truly "best" iron set for anyone whether its high or low 'caps, its pretty much just grabbing a few and hitting them, getting a feel for them. Sometimes its just an instant click, you just pick it up, hit a few shots and just 'know' that they are what you want lol. If you decide to spend a little of that card or cash and get fitted, I'd say do it somewhere outdoors with a trained fitter since most big box simulators for some reason just can't capture everything unique about your swing/ballflight, although I HATE it when people do this to me, you can always try at one place, and buy at that golftown place...especially if the price is lower :P If you can still find sets, I'd maybe recommend the old R7 irons since although they are for "better" players, they can also make you get better by forcing you to improve your swing, although that could probably be argued.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

... are the ones that you hit the best.

Seriously. Hit some demo irons. Hit some used irons. Figure out what feels and fits the best before you invest hundreds of dollars.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

... are the ones that you hit the best.

agree! dont buy anything untill u have hit them.......trust me when i say you will know when you have the right club in your hand!

Keep it where the mowers go!

I am in love with the G15's. They are advertised as a helper club, but they are very workable and have great feel. But like anything else............. you should try alot of different clubs before you make your mind up.

Opinions on clubs vary from person to person.

The best advice I was given when purchasing my first set of irons was from the local pro shop. He likened buying your first set of irons to buying your first car - just because you've received your licence to drive doesn't mean you need a Porsche 'cos you won't be able to get the most out of it. Better off with something cheaper, but reliable, until you're ready for the next step.
This made sense when he said it anyway - I've probably made a hash of it in the re-telling!
After trying most of the major brands, I bought a relatively cheap set from him, and a year later I'm still very happy with the purchase. The cash I saved on the irons I was able to put towards a new putter and a few extras like shoes and a bag, which have probably added as much to my enjoyment of the game as any expensive irons could.
Whatever you decide on, definitely get fitted by a professional outfit.

TaylorMade R9 9.5° | Cleveland Launcher 15° | Cleveland Halo 19° 2-iron | Bridgestone J33 4-PW | Pelz 50°-56°-60° | Odyssey Marxman Blade | Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I too would agree with what everyone has said.. I only took up golf a whopping 3 months ago... and my very first set was some maxfli crossback.. which were ok... but never did feel good.. but when I bought them I did not really know even how they were supposed to feel. I played with them a month or so starting in the mid 120 per round... but everytime I went to the store I was always looking at a different set as my abilty improved... Finally a few weeks ago I ended up getting a set of Cleveland Hi-Bore 3... and I totally love them... I a sure there are probably better ones out ther for sure.. but for me and my skill level they seem to be great... but before I bught them I think I probably hit every set they had. and kept coming back to those.. Has it helped? Well to me it has I am currently now shooting in the high 80's but I am sure it has more to do with the time I have been putting in more than the actual clubs.. Like everyone said the ones that feel the best in your price range baecuase they all feel different to each of us.. Best of luck in your new purchase.. this is a great site for sharing of various information...
Thank You..
Kevin

My personal advice is this: Go cheap. Go Used. (at first) Here is why: As your game improves, you will quickly (this is relative) want/need/desire different clubs. If you spend a ton of money on some brand spanking new Super-Duper-Game-Improvement clubs and your skill level quickly jumps, you may feel you want some clubs with smaller heads, less offset, etc, etc. then you are kinda screwed money wise.

If you go cheap and used at first then you won't have such a financial loss when changing things up going forward. If I could go back in time I would have saved a lot of coin.

I would confidently suggest you take a look at PING G5-G15 clubs. They are forgiving, look good, and you can grow with them.

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

My personal advice is this: Go cheap. Go Used. (at first) Here is why: As your game improves, you will quickly (this is relative) want/need/desire different clubs. If you spend a ton of money on some brand spanking new Super-Duper-Game-Improvement clubs and your skill level quickly jumps, you may feel you want some clubs with smaller heads, less offset, etc, etc. then you are kinda screwed money wise.

I second all of this. The G15's will cost you big money right away though. I would go used off ebay for your first set, Callaway X series or something like that. You will spend ~$150. From there, your golf game will develop, you will see things you like/don't like about your irons, and make a better decision on what you want to buy long term when you are a little better.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Go hit everything you can! Buying a set of irons when you are new to the game is fun. Take some time, you can find some really good deals on used clubs. Make sure they fit you. And have fun!

Yup hit everything, stress about what to buy, then buy the MX-100s. They should come in at half your budget and I challenge anyone to find a GI set that is as solid as the MX-100s. You will be light on the long end as the set starts at a 4 hybrid...that's what the other half of your budget is for. For a longer hybrid take a peek at the Ping G15...pretty close to the 4h and 5h in the Mizuno set. Fill in from there. I strongly recommend adding at least 1 wedge with the aggressive grooves (any 2010 model form whoever you wish) before the 2011 wedges replace the good stuff. Again, I prefer the Mizunos in the wedge department. Yes, Cleveland, Vokey, and Mizuno wedges will eat $100 a pop, but they are worth every single penny....seriously.

What sets the MX-100s apart from, say an Adams set or a Ping set is the feedback they give. I believe it is critical for any golfer to feel what a fat, thin, hook, slice, etc. shot feels like when it is hit. It's like an electric fence for a dog..."Ouch, don't do that again." Every other set I hit was dull no matter how I hit them. Not sure how you can improve unless your sticks are talking back to you.

Gear DOES matter. There is a reason we all aren't hitting Tommy Armour Silver Scots or ancient Titleist DCIs. Buying some old piece of crap iron set may do nothing at all for you. A modern GI set of clubs will most definitely increase your enjoyment for the game. Have fun in your search for the right set up. I see NO reason to go old school for your next set of clubs.

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

Note: This thread is 4889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!