IGNORED

balls ... whatever .....

Note: This thread is 4176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I will try and pick up a pack of the Srixon soft. So my swing speed needs a soft ball? Hmm is that why I liked the Nike soft in the green package when I used them? Very interesting. Thanks again for the info

You may like the feel but you don't "need" to use a soft ball at that swing speed, but like sean said, avoid any tour balls as you won't be able to compress them. Also, try the Top Flite D2 feel. It's a soft mid level ball with a great price ($1 a piece) I think you'd like them.

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year in the spring me and one of my friends spent a few hours picking up golf balls from the woods and near water hazards before the coarse had actually opened (we play for free for a few weeks before it opens).  we split them up and i think we had like 50 balls each or so....many of them being prov1s and NXTs.

I also had a friend who worked in a proshop who got a great deal on NXT Tours who picked up a dozen for me.

Along with finding a few here or there on the course thats how i got golfballs last year.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Gerald

I see a lot let's say high and midhigh cappers playing Pro V1 or similar in their signature, but I see also a lot of really low cappers saying in their sig that they play what ever they can find.

I personally like (the about $3) midspin balls best, but some times I find a nice ball like a Penta, Pro V1, Z Star and sometimes I find a really soft ball like a lady this or that, made for up to 80 mph swings.

IRL I see lots of midcappers strugling with high end ball taking too much side spin, but I see also low single handicappers spinning back wedge shots, ask which ball they prefer, not seldom answering like "I don't know, doesn't matter much, it is just hitting it perfect".

Most of my wedges don't hop and stop, and I don't mind much, just playing them short, knowing that they will move another 5% forward after landing, last week while playing a 9 iron on an about 70 yds approach.... it went a bit lower than expected, hit the green about 5 yds behind the flag and spun back to about 2 ft. from the hole ...... how I did that ??? with the Top Flight "rock" I was playing (must have been the new "butter" Mizuno's )

More and more I kind of become in the camp of that the ball has lesser influence on our scores, than we are willing to believe. 5-10 yds longer or shorter doesn't matter much either.

Your opinion ?

LOL, so you have finally seen the lite. Pretty much all high and mid hc'ers can't spin the ball back b/c they aren't good ball strikers, plane & simple. They also don't have much of a concept of what chipping & pitching is, not to mention how many times do you see high & mid hc'ers practicing they short game?--they are usually on the driving range trying to hit their driver, which they do equally as bad.

In the summer I like a soft tour level ball; last year it was the Niki tour--I buy the most inexpensive close out tour level ball. In the winter I like Laddy Xtrems b/c they are soft I get close to my summer time distances plus in the winter the greens are generally so receptive I can stick them with a 3i. When I'm play'n a tourney then I'll break down a buy a sleeve of Bridgestone e6+'s. For the life of me I can't understand why ppl play a tour level ball during the winter.

Basically, if you want distance than a mid or low level ball is usually better. If you're more interested in checking the ball on the green, then a tour level ball.

If it don't feel good putting, I don't like it. I'm partial to the Bridgestone e6. I've played almost everything though!!

Cleveland Hibore XLS Driver: Nike Ignite2 Irons: Adams SW and LW: Odyssey White Hot Mallet: Bridgestone e6 and TreoSoft Balls etc...

I like TP blacks, and not just because I'm a TM man. I've tried my share of tour balls, I've experimented with pentas, pro v1s, mike tours, bridgestone tours, callaway tours, and I'm finding my self going back to the TP black. It's just a sheer performer. Good, predictable spin around the greens, nice feel off the driver all the way to the putter, and they're long. Not to mention the cut through wind like it's not even blowing.

As for the winter, I'm just playing whatever I can find. No point in buying nice balls when all of my winter rounds are pretty much practice preventing game deterioration.

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

• 1 year later...
Originally Posted by mcgriff

Bought 96 Mojos for $64 off the bay. That'll cover me for quite awhile. More than anything I believe it is important to hit the SAME ball type to become familiar with how they behave. The Mojos may not be the best ball out there, but they seem durable, economic, and pretty consistent. I will take that over oscillating between 3 different ball types and giving shots away because one ball tends to check up quicker than another....or drop 5 yards shorter or longer than another.

I have enough on my mind on the course without worrying about losing $2-3 balls every other hole

Agree.  I think it’s actually to your advantage to use the same (type) of ball for a while.  You get to know how the ball will behave, off the tee and on approach or wedge shots.  Even if you aren’t a consistent ball striker yet.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

I've only ever really played one ball, the Callaway Warbirds (2008 models I think), mostly because Sports Authority has them on sale once in a while for $20/2 dozen. I recently bought some Noodle Tour LTD's that were on sale for something like $10/dozen.

I just started playing in September, so for the time being, a ball is just a ball. I haven't played the Noodles yet, just the Callaways. But I am still new enough to the game and still learning, so I have no idea what is a good ball and what is a bad ball!

But I am improving, my short game is getting better, 3 and 4 putts are happening less frequently, and my scores are coming down..... all while playing the same ball. Drives are getting longer, fairway shots are more... well, I'm hitting them now anyhow! The short game is what I have spent the most time on at the practice facility. So for me, I can't really say it's the ball.

So as long as the Callaways are reasonably priced, I'll keep gaming them. The next time I need to buy balls I'm going to try www.golfballsdirect.com. A dozen AAAAA grade Warbirds are $7.

When I get a little better then I will probably start experimenting with different balls

Agree, for starting up a ball is a ball.

I think I bought a dozen ProV’s when I first started, going to my friend’s CC and I just sliced every one into the woods in that round.  Nice spin...

Once you can hit the fairway, or at least not hit into the deep woods, but jsut the rough, you can start concentrating on the feel and flight of ball, and of course the check up, cause you’ve been working on your short game.

Note: This thread is 4176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!