IGNORED

Dealing with "Stop & Go" golf on a ridiculously crowded course

ERdiesel
Note: This thread is 4970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You can play many NYC municipal courses in under 5 hours as long as you know when to play them. Labor day was probably bad day to go out since with the economy being horrible, many chose to stay close to home instead of going away and play some golf. I don't even bother trying to play them on the weekends. I usually play Forest Park on weekdays around 11am-12pm and pay $35 with a cart. Usually finish around 4-4:30pm. Haven't been to Dyker Beach or the Bronx courses this year so I don't know how bad it is out there.

To the matter at hand, I am quite used to waiting and playing behind slow groups so I try to not let that get to me. Just relax and enjoy the weather. Chat with your playing partners about golf, college football, and whatever else you are in to.

« Keith »

So why not just skip around them? Get ahead and then play 2 balls on "similar" remaining hole(s) to the one(s) you skipped. Yeah, you'd like to play them all legitimately, but that's the choice, I guess.

Honestly, it didn't even cross my mind. Like I said, I play early on weekdays so I don't encounter much, if any, hold ups. Plus, I keep my handicap official with a club so it just never crosses my mind. Sorry for the rant by the way.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

I've enjoyed a 7 hour round once at Pelham. Never again.

During weekends, peak hours, at NYC munis, rounds are mostly guaranteed to be at least 5 hours and you'll usually get a 5.5, 6 hour round.

I usually try to get in 9 holes as early as possible. Usually those rounds last 2 1/2 hours at worst.

Getting out of the city helps too. For example, Rockland State Park, it's not as hard to get early tee times and the rounds are a little shorter, about 5 - 5.5 hours, sometimes shorter.

Another course I like where the rounds are shorter is The Links at Union Vale.

I know courses in NJ where the rounds are shorter as well.

NYC muni rounds totally blows the term "In a New York minute" out of the water. Not only have I seen some truly awful habits in terms of keeping pace, but some truly god awful swings.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've enjoyed a 7 hour round once at Pelham. Never again.

Hahahaha, i've seen some truly awful swings at every course that i've been too :) I play a lot in NJ as well, you should try the crystal springs courses like wild turkey and ballyowen. I also play Patriot Hills, great scenic course and only 45 mins from the city.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

Yeah, Patriot Hills, there's another one, Hudson something. Also Neshanic Valley.

I saw a foursome, each with a truly bad swing and with four tee shots, not one of them passed 50 yards - Bethpage Blue. I kid you not. I knew we were in for a loooonnngg day's journey into night. I think this was on a weekend morning.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yeah, Patriot Hills, there's another one, Hudson something. Also Neshanic Valley.

hudson hills golf course? Haven't been there, but heard mixed reviews of that course. I've played neshanic valley and it's a nice course. If you get a chance you should also try Berkshire Valley, it's a muni in Morris County, not crowded, and very very well maintained and just a beautiful course.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

I haven't played any of the NYC munis in ages. Last time I played douglaston, you needed a hammer to put a tee in the ground. Anyone play Clearview or Kissena ? Are they kept ok these days ? Dog tracks ?

If I play bethpage or IKE, it's usually a 5 or 5 1/2 hours as well. If you get out early on a weekend at bethpage, chances are you'll move a little quicker. Played black the other day and luckily the group in front consisted of 3 bombers and 1 graduate of the charles barkley golf swing academy (but he moved). The group behind us was ok. We only waited for a couple of minutes at the par 3s. Finished in a little over 5 hours. That's fine with me.

When I play the slower rounds, I agree, it's tough to get a rhythm to your round. I've waited on 18 tee boxes numerous times this season.

I played a number of courses out east on the island where I was able to finish rounds in a little over 4 hours. It's a hike for me (Nassau), so it would kill you guys living in NYC.

'09 Burner (UST ProForce V2 77g - S)
4dx 15.5 hybrid (UST V2 - Stiff)
'99 Apex Plus 3-EW (Stiff)
TM rac 50/6 GW
Arnold Palmer The Standard SW (20-30 years old)'99 Dual Rossie Blade

I don't think I have ever played an NYC course under 5.5 hours. I think 5 hours is slow but acceptable on a weekend, but 5.5 - 6 is grueling and just not that fun. Once I finished 9 holes at Dyker 4.5 hours after my tee time! (Granted, I had to wait an hour to tee off...). My advice: spend an extra 30 min driving to any number of fine courses in L.I., Westchester, Connecticut, or NJ and avoid the issue completely.

Yes, Berkshire is a good layout and decent pace I think. Love that course. Have yet to play the others - Flanders something.

Hominey Hill and Howell Park - I forget the pace, but I think they should be better than NYC as well.

Steve

Originally Posted by Rexx View Post
So why not just skip around them? Get ahead and then play 2 balls on "similar" remaining hole(s) to the one(s) you skipped. Yeah, you'd like to play them all legitimately, but that's the choice, I guess.

You don't have to play every hole to post an offical score for handicap purposes. Only need to play 13 or more. (Or 7 or more for a 9-hole score.)

Bill

I don't think I have ever played an NYC course under 5.5 hours. I think 5 hours is slow but acceptable on a weekend, but 5.5 - 6 is grueling and just not that fun. Once I finished 9 holes at Dyker 4.5 hours after my tee time! (Granted, I had to wait an hour to tee off...). My advice: spend an extra 30 min driving to any number of fine courses in L.I., Westchester, Connecticut, or NJ and avoid the issue completely.

I haven't played a round in over 5 hours lately at the NYC muni's. You guys just go out at peak times which you definitely should not.

Do not play Forest Park for about a week or week and half. Half of the greens and the tee boxes have been aerated. To whoever was asking about Kissena, that course is never in good condition late in the season. It's only good during the spring time. I play it once in awhile since I live like 5 minutes from it. It's where I learned to play. Clearview is a course that can produce 5+ hour rounds at any time of the day. I haven't played it in a month so I have no clue what shape its in but the course is so boring that I can't get myself to pay and play there.

« Keith »

If the front nine takes anywhere near 3 hours there is no chance I finish the round. I'll walk off and make sure I stop in the clubhouse to let them know what I think of the job they're doing...

My Equipment:
Driver: 9.5* R9, 73g Fubuki stiff | 3wood: 15* R9 3 Wood, x-stiff shaft | Hybrid: 19* Lynx Hybrid, reg. flex | Irons: MP-68s (4i-PW), 5.5x flighted |
Wedges: 52.08*, 56.11*, & 60.07 Vokey Spin-Milled | Putter: Pixl L1.8, 33.5" | Balls: Pro V1x |

I get on my cell and call the pro shop and ask for a ranger to come out and light a fire under who ever is causing the slow down. I believe it is reasonable to expect to tee off within 15-20 min. of your tee time (barring weather delays) and to complete the round in 4 hour 30 minutes or less. When that isn't possible I stop by the pro shop and complain. If it happens often I don't go back. Too many golf courses where I live to put up with slow play.

Butch

So I played a NYC muni on Labor Day and it was ridiculously crowded. 12:37 tee time, probably didn't tee off until 1 pm. By the time we got to the fourth tee, it was 2:30. Basically an hour and half to play 3 holes!!! I had a pretty bad round, been hitting in the mid 80's lately but yesterday shot in the low 90's even though this particular course was pretty "easy" as in straight and wide fairways. I was getting tired by the 5th or 6th hole, it felt like i played a whole 18 holes even though we didn't even hit that many shots. It was basically hit, wait....wait......wait.....wait.......wait......wait......wait......hit........wait.....well you get the point. I just couldn't get myself into a rhythm and my muscles never felt "loose". I was actually starting to doze off just waiting to take my next shot. Back 9 opened up a bit (i think people just got tired and went home early) so the total round finished in a little over 6 hours.

As soon as I read the first sentence and saw "NYC, muni and labor day" I knew it wasn't going to be good. Sorry man, I think if I lived in NYC proper I'd probably give up the game. I can't even handle a 5 hr round.

Note: This thread is 4970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!