IGNORED

Cheaters you have see on the golf course, tournaments or otherwise

majorchamp
Note: This thread is 3035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played a round with someone last year that always seems to be just a little better when I worked my tail off getting a bogey or double.  I've seen them whiff or hit it a foot in the thick rough but they don't count them.  When they go into the trees and you happen to see there ball sitting right up next to the trunk finds them hitting their next shot with no obstructions at all.  It's no biggie because they are only cheating themselves but you can bet your life that I'd be calling them out if it was for money.  It does get annoying when they say they "smoked you" at the lunch table at work.  I think the best one was when we both tee'd off from and elevated tee box, over a creek, and hopefully to a reasonable landing zone on a sharp dogleg left hole.  Too far and you have big trees to deal with or you are in the woods or creek below if you try and cut the corner to hard.  I tee off and hit one straight that just went a little to far of the fairway landing area and in the rough with a good look at the green between two big trees.  His tee shot hooks around the trees to our left and goes out of sight.  Judging by the ball flight, I thought for sure he would be in the creek on that side of the hill with the amount of spin that was on it.  We get down there and ride up and down that side for probably 8 minutes looking for his ball.  The grass was recently cut so things are easier to see.  Up and down we went but no ball in sight.  I said go up and hit another for your third or drop one down in this area and take two penalty strokes so you are hitting four.  That got the ball a rollin' because he then proceeded to drive a few passes up and down about a cart width on the edge of the fairway.  There is no way in hell that ball could have ended up anywhere in that zone.  I happened to be turning my head as we are riding along and seen a ball rolling to a stop behind us.  He makes a turn and says "There it is".   The ball is sitting up on a freshly driven area and could have been seen from 100 yards away when we drove across the bridge at the bottom of the hill.  We went over this area too many times to mention.  He bomb dropped it on me as we were riding along.  I was chuckling inside that it was hard to not have it bust out.  To go to that length to get bogey or double with our talents is beyond me.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

How many of you have cheated on the golf course? Fess up.

On purpose?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On purpose?

Yup.   When I used to play as a single and not for money and never in tournaments, and posted for handicap.   I saw no reason to go replay a lost ball, or if something was O.B and I didn't think it was since I was only keeping my own score.   What ended up happening is that I would calculate my score and then basically know I was several shots over that with the penalties.

If anything is on the line with anyone else, then I was strict to the rules as I knew them.   I made my mistakes with hazards and other stuff out of ignorance, but as I got more serious about playing and improving I took the time to either apply the rules correctly, or make sure that if there was a situation that ended up with me in the wrong, I took the score that I should.

—Adam

ive rolled my ball out of areas where work has clearly been done but hasnt been roped off.  local courses are sometimes hardscrabble and dont bother to rope or stake stuff off.

Colin P.

This past weekend a group was letting us play through. I hit a shot that skirted a water hazard. A guy in the group ahead said he saw it and pointed me to a ball just on the edge of the hazard in deep rough. I played it, only to find out on the green that it was not actually my ball.

Now in the past I would've just played on pretending it was my ball under the justification that it was "close enough, and that guy said he saw it."

This time I took the two shot penalty as I was supposed to and moved on. This is my first year playing 100% by the rules, but it is also the first time I am keeping an official handicap or played in any competitive golf. The only person I was cheating before was myself.

I don't care if people cheat when they aren't competing, if that makes them feel better, fine. But not competitive golf, that fires me up.

- Mark

Well I don't know but I hit a ball into a large area of Ground Under Repair and looked at my options and played the ball because the NPR was down a hill behind a tree on a steep slope, whereas I had an open lob shot pin high from where I was. I ended up on the green and had a tap in for a birdie. The question would be if I could legally hit from GUR.

We won't discuss the other times. But they weren't in competition or anything like that.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Not sure I'd call what I see people doing on the course cheating. Just because they don't abide by the rules doesn't mean they are cheaters if they are golfing for fun. There are no victims considering most probably don't play competitive golf and don't keep an official handicap. If people want to play a variation of golf that makes it easier for them I am all for it. I'll take casual, do whatever I want golfer that moves a decent pace to the overly pedantic golfer that thinks he's Slugger White on the way to shooting 100.

I play with my Mom quite a bit. She's the type of golfer that rolls her ball around, might even push it into the fairway if it's just in the rough and will pick up her pink ball and toss another down if she fears hitting it into a hazard. I am glad she does it. At her age it's good she is out there at all and I want her to have fun.

This +100

Shooting a 165 is no fun for anybody so if you are terrible and just want to have fun nobody should have a problem with foot wedges, preferred lies, or anything else they want to do.  Lots of people just want to have fun outside, hang out with the people in their group, and relax.  My parents play golf with me a lot and they are absolutely horrific but they have fun and its a good way for us to spend 4 hours hanging out.  They only thing I take issue with is when they hit my five footer back to me because they just knew I was going to make it anyway.  :)

Titleist 915 D, 3W, 3H

TaylorMade RocketBladez 4I-AW

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 56 degree SW and 60 degree LW

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance

Bridgestone B330

Well I don't know but I hit a ball into a large area of Ground Under Repair and looked at my options and played the ball because the NPR was down a hill behind a tree on a steep slope, whereas I had an open lob shot pin high from where I was. I ended up on the green and had a tap in for a birdie. The question would be if I could legally hit from GUR.

If you look at the definition of "ground under repair" in the rules, you'll see a note that says:

"The Committee may make a Local Rule prohibiting play from ground under repair..."

If the Committee hasn't made such a Local Rule, I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to play from the GUR.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'm one of my high school matches last year, we were playing in 2 somes and my opposing player kicked my ball behind a tree. I didn't know until after the fact because a spectator told me. I ended up medaling the match though. Karma.

My friend thinks a gimme is if he is putting to make a four and it's two feet away he picks it up and takes a three

When I was starting out, I thought the same (putting for double though), not intent on cheating: it was just that I thought if you would give it to me, I wouldn't have to spend a stroke for it: see?. Some things have to be explained to newbies: they are not necessarily obvious and golf if full of non-obvious jargon.  Another example: what does open (stance, shoulders, club face etc...) mean?  What does weak/strong (grip) mean?  People I was playing with when I started never bothered defining those terms and yet used it all the times to fix my swing etc... It was hard and it took me a while to get it, lol.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

The "gimme" rule needs to be explained to beginners. It means: Okay, that's good. We'll assume you made the NEXT putt. Add one stroke to your score.

I didn't know what it meant when I was starting out either, not that it really would have made a difference anyway.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 2 months later...

2 years ago I take an old friend out at my club for his 50th birthday, we have 2 other old friends, I am the only regular golfer. On the first T my buddy asks my HC and we negotiate a game between us, he is an action guy and a good athlete just only plays a couple rounds a year. We agree to 7 a side (to many) par 3's are straight.

I drive a ball down the middle, he slaps it left into the trees...we get to his ball and he is sitting deep in the rough with a tree in line, he is going nowhere but chip out. He looks at me and says "do you play the ball down"? I say yes...he smiles and says I don't, picks it up, cleans it, moves 2 steps to the right to clear his line and gently puts on top of the rough...and says so do we have for a distance here!!!!

LOL one of my favorite golfing stories!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

The most blatant example of cheating I ever saw was from a playing partner I was keeping score for in a high school tournament. It was a varsity invitational tournament that a wide range of teams attended, so I had never played with this person before. First thing out of his mouth on the #1 tee was that he was his team's top player, which seemed like a rather odd statement out of the blue, but the others mostly ignored it and we teed off. 

First hole he spins his second shot off the front of the green into a lake, and we have to remind him that his drop need to be on the fairway side of the lake, not the side with the green. He grumbles about it but complies and drops for 3, hits 4 on, and two-putts for a double. He tells me he got a 5 until I point out that his true score should have been a six. It goes like this for at least 4 other holes that day, with the worst lie coming on a par 5 when he attempted to claim a par thinking nobody saw him take 3 attempts to get out of a fairway bunker rather than 1. Throughout the entire round he is a fairly belligerent person, disregarding etiquette and even going so far as to attempt to mess up the other players in our group (he yelled, "What's your score" as players were in the middle of their swing for a tee shot - multiple times). Overall just a person who was no fun to play with.

When we get to the scoring table at the clubhouse after the round it's clear to everyone in my group that this player is a regular cheater, and I had asked the other players to document his score along with me throughout the round in case there was a dispute at the end of the round. Lo and behold, when we arrive at the scoring table he tells the scoring official that he got a lower score than I marked on 3 holes. Que the other two members of my group pulling out their scorecards they marked with his score and a conversation with the official about the players dishonestly/etiquette and he gets slapped with a DQ from the tournament for egregious breaches of etiquette. The player then complains to his coach and team, who then proceed to attempt to back up the player saying he was misunderstood, has a poor memory, etc.

The best part about it was when the official said he would remove the DQ, because the smug satisfaction of getting his way soon turned sour when he realized that the score that got posted up for him instead was a 93 (after making sure to tell my group at the start that he, "never shoots above 75"). His team was far enough out of contention that nobody really cared whether he was DQ'ed or not (and the team ended up dropping his score from the total anyways), so nobody ended up worse off as a result besides the player and his pride.

Some of the competitive players I meet on the range call Stroke Play "Joke Play". Mostly because of the people who don't quite play by the rules or under count their strokes. :-P

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Realistically, I've played in a couple of situations where my playing partners expected to play by the rules.

Aside from this year when I was keeping a handicap, my partners and I have done things to move play along that aren't by the book. Calling it cheating is a bit harsh as very little of it had any positive impact on our score. None-the-less, it isn't by the book.

True, recreational golf could be enjoyed without having to adhere to rules that could make life miserable for everyone. However, if you compete, then you really should know exactly what rules you broke and how to deal with it if the round was needed for handicap or something else.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3035 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!