IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

Nice to see shorts and golf again,,,45 degrees here today,,frost. And possible rain mixed with sleet late tonight. Nice swing man, I see nothing to work on except just playing

Nice to see shorts and golf again,,,45 degrees here today,,frost. And possible rain mixed with sleet late tonight.

Nice swing man, I see nothing to work on except just playing

Thanks.  Yeah can't complain about the weather, 80* today

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@mvmac I am not sure what your priority piece that you are working on is, but I noticed you have quite a bit of extension. Is this something you are working on? Or something for later. It is not terrible and even some model swings can have it, but just curious.

The right elbow looks really good these days. Your hard work is paying off there.

@mvmac I am not sure what your priority piece that you are working on is, but I noticed you have quite a bit of extension. Is this something you are working on? Or something for later. It is not terrible and even some model swings can have it, but just curious.

The right elbow looks really good these days. Your hard work is paying off there.

Good question.  The extension or head on the wall isn't a priority piece.  For me the amount of extension you see is actually a good thing, it's a power move.  Could I work on making the picture "perfect" and not having my head come off the wall, sure but I would be sacrificing speed, and I don't have much to sacrifice to start with ;-) Early extension is a good thing and will be found in a lot of great golf swings, like Robert Rock.  I would agree that some of my earlier swings had too much EE, it's about finding that happy medium.  I think the head can start to come off the wall at about A5.  Any earlier than that and it could lead to some problems.

I would like to see a little more rotation with the hips more forward in the left pic, left hip and shoulder more open, ankles cranking a little more counter clockwise to assist.

Priority piece for me lately has been feeling the right forearm vertical at A4-5.  My right arm likes to get "bunchy" and the handle stays too high so I can be inconsistent with contact, thin shots and slightly off the toe.  So the vertical forearm feel gets my right arm to release downward and I can sustain the leverage better.  In my mind I "see" myself doing it from dtl.  It also helps my head from drifting forward from A4-6.  So more 2nd axis tilt which for me will help me improve impact conditions, take divots, more center contact, etc.  Good shots feel like my right elbow is below my left at impact and into the followthrough, as a result.  Also doing some practice like this that reinforces the feel (below), from about a week ago.  Played last Sunday and was pleased with how I hit it for being a little rusty.

These are swing thoughts or feels that are currently working for me.  I've always been one to feel more with my right side, in high school and college my go-to swing thought was to turn the right shoulder back on itself and then "cover" it with my right side.  Wish I had video of some of those swings, I use to swing past parallel with a 7 iron :doh:

• 1 month later...

Looking good Mike.

I have a few thoughts which I would like to point out to the many members who follow this thread.

1. The take-away is a beautiful one piece motion. Notice how the V of the arms and hands are together as he takes the club away.

Many golfers tend to lift the club to early with the right hand, causing a pre-hinge of the wrists.

2. The transition at the top is very smooth and complete.

Again, most golfers never reach this smooth transition because they are too quick starting the downswing.

3. The pivot through the ball is also a notable movement. Very smooth and fluid. Nice job again Mike.

4. A player who develops these skills will generally strike the ball with good consistency.

Keep up the good work.

Club Rat

For me, I lean towards focusing on the positives. The negatives can't be ignored, nor should they, but whenever I'm working on something I'll be also working on keeping hold of the positives :) It helps me anyway, probably a move to protect my sanity.

Great thread (even with the Bomb :-D that was dropped in the middle of it ) and great work Mike.

How is your son getting along?

This may be a stupid question, but:

When do see an end to you work on the swing? Or am I being naive there, do we never stop working on our swing?

I'm not qualified to be giving advice and I'm not familiar with all the terminology (you have mentioned that you don't really see this as a problem) but my one comment would be that that ass needs to tamed a bit and I think you've got a little to much curving on the spine. Your full spine seems to be curved as opposed to curve being found in the upper spine with pros...

Just my 2cent, my 2cent isn't probably worth a cent though :loco:

Looking good Mike.

I have a few thoughts which I would like to point out to the many members who follow this thread.

1. The take-away is a beautiful one piece motion. Notice how the V of the arms and hands are together as he takes the club away.

Many golfers tend to lift the club to early with the right hand, causing a pre-hinge of the wrists.

2. The transition at the top is very smooth and complete.

Again, most golfers never reach this smooth transition because they are too quick starting the downswing.

3. The pivot through the ball is also a notable movement. Very smooth and fluid. Nice job again Mike.

4. A player who develops these skills will generally strike the ball with good consistency.

Keep up the good work.

Club Rat

Thanks.  Regarding the "one piece" takeaway, I spend 5-10 minutes practicing/hitting balls with the Impact Ball between my arms.  I'll also practice with a tee in my right arm pit.  I wouldn't call it a one piece takeaway the way some people think of it, like Nicklaus or early Tiger, but the arms are sequenced with my pivot.

Great thread (even with the Bomb  that was dropped in the middle of it ) and great work Mike.

How is your son getting along?

Doing good, busy with school, has tons of homework everyday.  Only playing on the weekends.

This may be a stupid question, but:

When do see an end to you work on the swing? Or am I being naive there, do we never stop working on our swing?

When Tiger stops working on his swing ;-)

Seriously though I don't see myself ever not working on something.  I think if you want to keep getting better, you need to keep an eye on things.  This doesn't mean that I'm going to change my swing every week,  just make sure I incrementally make it more and more efficient.  Like I said in my last post, I fell into a bad habit with my set-up and had to spend a little time "getting it back".

I'm not qualified to be giving advice and I'm not familiar with all the terminology (you have mentioned that you don't really see this as a problem) but my one comment would be that that ass needs to tamed a bit and I think you've got a little to much curving on the spine. Your full spine seems to be curved as opposed to curve being found in the upper spine with pros...

Just my 2cent, my 2cent isn't probably worth a cent though

Not exactly sure what you're saying about my posture, maybe this thread will help

• 2 months later...
Making sure my right hip keeps turning and translating slightly more towards the target from A1-4. Doing this to change the pressure in my feet during the transition allowing me to make it easier to use the ground as leverage in order to engage the proper thrust pattern.

Couple checkpoints, want to see the right hip joint go from over the right ankle at A1 to inside the ankle joint by A4. Left knee joint rotated outside the left hip at A1 to inline with the left hip at A4.

Still a new feel for me, just gotta put in more reps :-)

I'm not qualified to be giving advice and I'm not familiar with all the terminology (you have mentioned that you don't really see this as a problem) but my one comment would be that that ass needs to tamed a bit and I think you've got a little to much curving on the spine.

Mike, for what its worth, I think your ass looks great.

And your swing, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Two ball drill to get the club to ascend more from 1-1.5. Drill ball is about a foot away from the one I'm hitting.

Feeling like the amount of right wrist dorsi flexion doesn't change from 1-3, helps me load the club "up the plane". I tend to "snatch" the club inside due to overdoing the right wrist bend and get PP#3 twisted around the grip at 3. Part of the reason I lift at 4 (the pivot stuff I've been working on has also helped). I like this swing, no lifting and was a solid strike.