IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

Was in Vegas for an archery tournament for my son so after the first day I got to spend a couple hours with my buddy Mario Bevilacqua, who I've been working with on my game for the past 2 1/2 years.

Great session. Was able to get my distance wedges and pitching in order, refine some downswing feels and get some numbers for my driver. 

After the lesson I have Mario give me a review of what we worked on. I do want to make it clear that I'm basically the only student that Mario has working on these feels, this isn't a "Mario swing" ;-)

A medium window flight fade makes sense with some of the feels I'm rehearsing. Mario was concerned that if I'm trying to draw it, having the hand path and shaft steep at 5 doesn't compliment those components. I think it also works better with the intention of lowering the ball flight, a fade biased pivot will only help me rotate better and my miss lately that I hate is a push. So basically what we found was that with the "new" downswing (still a long ways to go), if I bail on it the shot is a little thin, starts fairly straight and stays straight. If I do overdo it, I'll hit a little pull, which when I'm playing my best my good miss is a pull.

Having said that I could also seeing going with a draw. My swing direction is right around zero (on the drill swing below I'm only 2.5 left), I'm going to have some down, the arms are deeper coming down, the transition feels only help me get the handle higher at impact. Either way the ball won't be curving much, I think my misses will be better with a fade intention.

Here are a few clips of me working on those pieces. With these drills swings I was trying to keep the rehearsal speed and exaggeration but continue it all the way to impact. Last clip is me exaggerating the pitching feels with a 9-iron. Pitching tweak was similar to what @iacas pointed out with the head/upper body more over it, just needed to make sure it stayed that way during the downstroke, at least that was the feel. Torso was getting vertical too early and head was moving back a bit.

The face-on swing is the "cleanest" downswing I've ever made, I don't care that it was 54mph ;-)

Numbers for a 7-iron after a few drills swings.FullSizeRender.jpeg

mm drill 1.jpgmm drill swing 3.jpg

Numbers for one of the drill swings. Check out that VSP/swing plane number! The shaft isn't pointing down by my kneecaps :-P Again, I'm weird, the steeper I get the hand path and shaft the more I raise the handle. Handle and belt buckle have to "raise" as a result of what I'm doing into 5/6. If the hands work out too early and I get super shallow I have to sag the knees to get the club down to the ball.IMG_4839.jpg

Still crazy that the feel on the left translates to the motion on the right. Feeling the crunch and staying closed actually helps me open up (drill swing).

mm drill 4.jpgmm drill 5.jpgmm drill 6.jpg

Then played TPC Summerlin the day after and shot 68 :beer:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Feel ain’t real… except in what it changes to an individual student.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Same feels.

Couple swings after the round yesterday. Wouldn't mind seeing the hands a little deeper/shorter on the backswing but I like the "flow" of the movement. I've been trying to doing more filming after rounds because they'll look closer to my "play" swings than when I'm just out there practicing.

For example, here's a swing from last week that I would say is ideal for me. Hit the crap out of this one.

mm p4-5 dtl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...

First two swings were 65 yards and he last two are 75 yards.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Been on a good stretch of putting (for me) the past couple months. Unfortunately I played in tournaments the last two Mondays and it was more of the old me on the greens. Pro-scratch the week before and my speed control was horrible. I usually don't make excuses but the greens were crazy, fast and undulated and I got overly tentative.

This week I missed the SCGA Mid-Am by two and had five 3-putts (shot 76). Looking back even though the numbers might not back it up I actually hit more good putts than bad ones, made some really great putts but also hit three unbelievably shitty putts. Two misses from almost gimme range and a lag putt that went 7ft past the hole. Greens were fast with a good amount of slope but it was a fair test, no tricks. It sucks because I hit more practice putts last week than I ever have, was able to see improvement but it was still a glaring weakness.

Mechanics wise I think my stroke is decent, the claw and standing a little taller have helped. From about 10-25ft I feel like I give myself a lot of chances to make them and have been seeing more putts from that range go in. With the distance that I'm practicing below I've been really good, yet when I get closer to the hole I suck. I think part of that is the claw mechanics, it's hard for me to make a "short" stroke and I end up making strokes with a pace that is too slow. It's a tendency I have regardless of length and it's been something I've wanted to address.

So I'm working on being more "reactive" with my stroke, trying to start it back as my eyes get back to the ball rather than hanging out over the ball which can make pulling the trigger harder for me. This is kind of what I do with my full swing, two waggles and go, I'm always in motion. Plan is to put it into play this weekend and stick with it to give myself an idea if it's a good option for me. 

Mike McLoughlin

On 1/3/2018 at 5:48 PM, SunkTheBirdie said:

vestigated P6 a few years ago.

Google:  MORAD p6 face on golf swing 

mmvac_p6.analysis.thumb.jpg.f5b02813a69266920a12ed4a0b30b46b.jpg

Love the improvements.  "What did you change" ? 

On 1/3/2018 at 5:48 PM, SunkTheBirdie said:

vestigated P6 a few years ago.

Google:  MORAD p6 face on golf swing 

mmvac_p6.analysis.thumb.jpg.f5b02813a69266920a12ed4a0b30b46b.jpg

• Administrator
1 hour ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

Read back through the topic man. That’s why they’re here.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

Yes what @iacas said, I feel like I've provided a good amount of detail on what I've been working on. 

Happy to answer any questions.

Mike McLoughlin

On 2/3/2018 at 4:24 AM, mvmac said:

Started the month as a .6 and ended it as a +1. Lowest I've been since college. 

A3.5 backswing (feeling) 55 degree swings, goal was to hit it around 65 yards.

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 7.42.19 PM.png

A3.5 backswing 60 degree swings. Trying to keep them in that 50-55 yard range. I can have a tendency to get too "pitchy" with these and they'll come off too floaty. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 7.43.49 PM.png

Great work with the handicap! Haven't checked in here in a while, but love all of the stuff you're doing and it's genuinely inspirational in terms of the right way to practise :beer:. Amazing how something so simple as changing a putting grip can have such a big effect as well - I still remember the first time I played around with left hand low and how much of an impact that had on start line.

As a side quesion, do you find the Mevo accurate when working with range balls for partial wedges? I've always been a little concerned that the yardages I think I'm hitting will be way off due to hitting range balls, but if it's good enough for a +2 golfer... 

On 2/8/2018 at 6:34 AM, mvmac said:

Love the effortless, fluid motion and the soft hands. Great work here and expect a follow on IG!

On 3/10/2018 at 5:57 AM, mvmac said:

Final comment for now, but as someone working on lower body motion, I really love the way your hips are so powerful through transition and pre-impact. Awesome stuff and exactly what I need to work towards.

Just a brilliant thread and thanks for keeping it so well-updated!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

12 hours ago, mvmac said:

Yes what @iacas said, I feel like I've provided a good amount of detail on what I've been working on. 

I was just surprised to see so much change so quickly in my P6 view of the swing.

Great job !   I figured my MS paint work would get me a reply. 

People rarely can change their P6 so quickly.  You must be a golf expert !

I was also wondering if the new swing felt alot different. Crisper ? 

• Administrator

@SunkTheBirdie, part of the problem with comparing the BOC to the hips is that the hips could very well be in a different position.

Mike's A6 is about the same as it was. There's not much difference there.

01.jpg

He's done a lot of great work, but it's not necessarily about the hips (which are further back on the right than on the left).

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

There's not much difference there.

to me, the images represent many significant differences that total fairly big changes.

I'll have to watch the videos to see the differences and see if his hands work for effectively through the impact zone.

Edited by SunkTheBirdie

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

to me, the images represent many significant differences that total fairly big changes.

I was commenting only on your comment about the hand location. It's virtually identical, but looks a little different because of the difference in hips.

20 hours ago, b101 said:

As a side quesion, do you find the Mevo accurate when working with range balls for partial wedges?

Yes it's been very accurate in my experience. If I'm working on a 65 yard shot on the range, I'm expecting to hit that yardage on the course with a similar swing, within about 5%, range balls go a bit shorter.

20 hours ago, b101 said:

Final comment for now, but as someone working on lower body motion, I really love the way your hips are so powerful through transition and pre-impact. Awesome stuff and exactly what I need to work towards.

Just a brilliant thread and thanks for keeping it so well-updated!

Thanks!

Yes part of the work I've been doing is to get the hips/legs more involved in the dynamics of the swing with less slide and stall.

10 hours ago, SunkTheBirdie said:

People rarely can change their P6 so quickly.  You must be a golf expert !

I was also wondering if the new swing felt alot different. Crisper ? 

Like @iacas said, the biggest difference is the body, not really the handle location. The camera angles are also probably a bit different so that will skew things. 

Also that swing with the blue shirt/pants is one where I'm exaggerating the lowering feels and swinging a bit slower (think I said that in the post). The one from Dec was more of a "stock" swing. So by no means is the exaggerated swing what my swing on the course looks like...at least not yet ;-)

But thanks. Yes the swing with the "cleaner" looking 6 it does feel different. Basically feels like I'm going to hit it a foot behind the balls :-P I would say the strikes are just more solid, more "compressed", than crisper.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Drilling my pieces.

Less shift out and arms deeper on the downswing. Easier to just rotate through it.

P4-5.jpgP6-7.jpg

Getting back into speed training, only a couple weeks in and seeing some results. Goal is to get 7-iron to 125 ball speed and driver to 165.

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 1.48.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-13 at 1.48.17 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Drilling my nieces.

Whoa!!!

Okay then.

;-)