IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

Still feeling right palm down on the takeaway, more internal with the right arm. In transition feeling the left shoulder lower while the arms stay deep or across my chest. Then basically the sternum feels likes it’s pointed more down as I pivot the right shoulder through the shot.

Putting stroke mechanics are pretty good right now (for me), new routine has been working out well. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Is the left knee from 7-9 in the short to medium term plans?

Definition of Inline Impact, btw. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Is the left knee from 7-9 in the short to medium term plans?

Yeah. Part of the goal of the downswing torso lowering and lead arm depth (more neutral in reality) feels is to help "encourage" me to extend them.

Might eventually get to the point where it has to be more of a conscious thing. Maybe combine that with the feel of the arms blasting off my chest early/mid downswing. Smash ground, thrust legs type of thing.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Definition of Inline Impact, btw. :-)

Thanks. Cool to see it's consistently in a good place with that week after week now, obviously result of all the other "stuff" I'm doing.

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Few months ago I was really struggling with my pitching, especially from tight fairway lies. Got into some bad habits.

Few changes I've made:
- Weakened my grip
- Feeling negative axis tilt at address
- Feeling the left arm bent at address
- Feeling some chicken wing through the shot
- Right shoulder moves down across me, towards the left foot on the downswing.

Basically all those things are helping me be more aggressive and engage the bounce properly. I've been able to get rid of a lot of the "fear" I was experiencing around the greens. Last part of the vid are low, high and medium trajectory shots with a 60 degree.

Mike McLoughlin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So, @mvmac, what's your miss these days when you (rarely) miss?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

41 minutes ago, iacas said:

So, @mvmac, what's your miss these days when you (rarely) miss?

For me when ball striking is going well like it has lately the miss with the irons/wedges is a solid straight pull. The pulls start a little left or on the left edge of my shot zone and hopefully don't curve more left. With the driver it's similar, solid straight pulls with a few straight pushes. 

Pattern lately has been to work it a little left to right, just set the feet and body a little open and if anything it encourages me to be more aggressive with the torso rotation and keeping the chest "down". So the pulls can be a very functional miss as long as they stay straight or curve back a little.

The other kind of miss is the playable thin/bottom groove shot, which typically starts pretty straight and doesn't curve much. 

Going to post some updated swings this week.

Here's a swing from a new drill I just started doing for better start line control that also goes along well with my downswing feels.

mm dtl 1.jpgmm dtl 2.jpg

mm caddy.jpgmm caddy 2.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Drill I've just added along with the diagonal stick one I've posted. Different way of feeling the same motion but with some Key #5 awareness. I like that the harder I go with the arms and pivot with these drills the better I hit it. Obviously have to be conscious of not starting the ball left of the stick by just swinging the left arm out and left. Which is why they work well together.

Full swing, under turned at 3, would like to see it closer to 75 degrees with the thorax. 

DTL looks good with the hand path though. Same goals on the downswing as the last few months, left side crunches down as I maintain some lead arm depth. So working the hand path vertical, getting the shaft as steep as possible, basically like I'm trying to stab myself in the right thigh with the butt of the club.

P4-4.5.jpg

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Working on the same pieces as my previous post, transition hand path is improving. Couple bad habits popped up so in the las couple days in addition to what I've been working on I also focused on,

- Hips more centered at 1, was getting too much reverse K.
- Making sure I fully turn my hips on the backswing. Little more "step" onto my right foot to help this.

P4-5 caddy.jpgP4-4.5.jpgP5-7.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

5 hours ago, mvmac said:

Working on the same pieces as my previous post, transition hand path is improving. Couple bad habits popped up so in the las couple days in addition to what I've been working on I also focused on,

- Hips more centered at 1, was getting too much reverse K.
- Making sure I fully turn my hips on the backswing. Little more "step" onto my right foot to help this.

P4-5 caddy.jpgP4-4.5.jpgP5-7.jpg

Looking good - love how well you shallow the club in transition and there's so much good that you do that I'm trying to manage with my swing.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

2 hours ago, b101 said:

Looking good - love how well you shallow the club in transition and there's so much good that you do that I'm trying to manage with my swing.

Yeah, he shallows the club extremely well. I bet he gets a nice draw from this path.

Nice swing @mvmac

20 minutes ago, Grizvok said:

Yeah, he shallows the club extremely well. I bet he gets a nice draw from this path.

Mike plays a fade. Shallow != draw.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, b101 said:

Thanks.

Like I've been posting recently, if anything I can get too shallow. Or another way to look at it is that I shallow for too long.

In those swings I just posted I'm feeling like I'm trying to tip the sweet spot out towards the target line (pic below). The hand path feels working vertical from the top has helped but hasn't gotten me the progress I've wanted. 

practice feel.jpg

Here some practice from last month when I was in Vegas, first time experimenting with the feel of tumbling the club head out from the top.

12 hours ago, Grizvok said:

Nice swing @mvmac

Thanks.

Yes, like @billchao said I've been playing more of a fade recently, just doing it by aiming my body left at address. From a square-ish stance I do tend to draw it.

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit of a "back to basics" practice. Played Fri-Sun and struggled with ball striking, a lot of weak drives low in the face and thinnish irons. So today I made sure to work more on the body pieces: left shoulder/head lowering in transition. I think this was something I just got lazy with after two weeks off and adding the piece I mentioned in my last post.

Hit it way better, the caddy-view shot was puuuure.

P1.5-4.jpgP5-7.jpgScreen Shot 2018-07-17 at 9.14.46 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

Really happy with these swings. Experimented this week with a little different backswing and transition feels. Might be starting to get somewhere with the downswing.

A6 is the best I've ever seen it for me (not making an exaggerated downswing feel). Shafting is "riding" on top of the right arm longer coming down, sweetspot isn't falling behind me as much, right arm is more bent, right shoulder is shrugged less. Also more space between my hands and body at 7. With the caddy swing I like seeing me get the shaft and left forearm inline just after 7.

P1-2.jpgP3-4 dtl.jpgP5-6 dtl.jpgP7-8 dtl.jpg

P4-5 caddy.jpgP6-7 caddy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

:-P

😂

Yeah I know, I know but it does help when it's been so hot.

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin