IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

• Administrator
5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I've had luck using a silver metallic magic marker instead of the stick-on reflectors with the MEVO. It is less weight (although the weight is minimal), but it won't fall off.

Which one specifically? You feel it gives you the spin numbers you need?

Cuz that would certainly help when hitting balls you don't think you'll get back. Unless there's a good source for those stickers. I mostly see bigger circles on Amazon, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

Cuz that would certainly help when hitting balls you don't think you'll get back. Unless there's a good source for those stickers. I mostly see bigger circles on Amazon, etc.

I'll look when I get home.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 1/25/2019 at 11:37 AM, iacas said:

Sharpie Metallic Silver.

Scott

My Swing Thread

• 4 weeks later...

One of my golf goals for '19 was to have more under par rounds than over par. 19 rounds in, seven have been under par and five have been over, so good start (hope I didn't jinx it 😉).

Had a good session with my swing guy two weeks ago. When I showed up my shaft was getting on the shallow side going back and staying too shallow on the downswing. Basically the opposite of what most do. 

Pivot stuff was pretty good so worked on feeling the com of the club load a little further away from me, higher at 4 and then keeping the shaft in the same orientation (across the line) into 5. Have worked on this before. For whatever reason when the hand path and shaft is "steep" I do a better job of lowering in transition. Making sure I rehearse this with a good amount of speed.

Instead of just sending swings where I'm just making the picture look good, I'm sending him a dtl and caddy view of me exaggerating the feels and a dtl and caddy view of me making a stock swing at play speed where I'm just focused on the target/shot. Then we can compare the differences. Gotten to the point where it doesn't make sense to just send him good swings and then show up with it looking different, not a good use of our time.

First couple swings here are the exaggerated swings and the second set are the "play" swings.

Play swing hold up ok, especially with 4 and 6. Ideally want to see it more inline with the hands.

4-5.jpg6-7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Gotten to the point where it doesn't make sense to just send him good swings and then show up with it looking different, not a good use of our time.

This is a great point. I try not to send in the “good” swing to Evolvr. I send the typical swing of the session and most of the time it has the fault we are correcting.

Scott

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

This is a great point. I try not to send in the “good” swing to Evolvr. I send the typical swing of the session and most of the time it has the fault we are correcting.

This is a great idea. This should be mentioned to other Evolvr members as well.   Thanks guys. Beautiful swing Mike.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 12:54 AM, mvmac said:

One of my golf goals for '19 was to have more under par rounds than over par. 19 rounds in, seven have been under par and five have been over, so good start (hope I didn't jinx it 😉).

Had a good session with my swing guy two weeks ago. When I showed up my shaft was getting on the shallow side going back and staying too shallow on the downswing. Basically the opposite of what most do. 

Pivot stuff was pretty good so worked on feeling the com of the club load a little further away from me, higher at 4 and then keeping the shaft in the same orientation (across the line) into 5. Have worked on this before. For whatever reason when the hand path and shaft is "steep" I do a better job of lowering in transition. Making sure I rehearse this with a good amount of speed.

Instead of just sending swings where I'm just making the picture look good, I'm sending him a dtl and caddy view of me exaggerating the feels and a dtl and caddy view of me making a stock swing at play speed where I'm just focused on the target/shot. Then we can compare the differences. Gotten to the point where it doesn't make sense to just send him good swings and then show up with it looking different, not a good use of our time.

First couple swings here are the exaggerated swings and the second set are the "play" swings.

Play swing hold up ok, especially with 4 and 6. Ideally want to see it more inline with the hands.

4-5.jpg6-7.jpg

What was the device you were swinging at the end of the first video? Swing looks great by the way.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

What was the device you were swinging at the end of the first video? Swing looks great by the way.

An alignment stick.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

An alignment stick.

A TST alignment stick 😉

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Continuing to shoot good scores, lots of rounds in the 60's. Shot -2 in the SCGA mid-am qualifier and playing that tournament this Monday/Tuesday. Currently playing to a +4 at my club.

Long term piece to start. Sticking with the theme of getting the com of the club further and higher on the backswing, I've been doing a lot of practice and rehearsals feeling my wrists stay uncocked (ulnar) on the takeaway. My tendency is to do the opposite, head and handle works down and the shaft rotates around it's com too much too early. From there it's going to be hard to do anything but force the grip out in front of me, which gets me super shallow.

Basically I want to be more like Rory or Dechambeau on the takeaway which would do a few things:

- hands have to ascend sooner (feels like I'm literally picking my hands straight up)
- easier to stay centered
- easier to lower in transition
- will lessen the amount I force the grip out which gets the com to fall behind me

I'm doing this by continuing to feel myself "upload" before the club moves back and actively feel the handle raise on the takeaway. Can't "push" down on the grip if I do those two things.

Shorter term piece as I'm struggling with shots trailing left, especially off the tee. Issue is as I'm feeling the steep hand path (my last post) my chest is staying closed for too long as I'm doing it. To get the chest to open earlier the image I have in my head is that I have a laser pointer sticking out of my sternum and I want the laser to point to a spot in front of the ball by impact, so that gets my left side to stay lower longer in the transition/downswing.

That's what I'm working on here with the steep hand path. I give the backswing stuff a "B". The slow-mo shots were hammered.

On course or play feels are the same:
- Trigger move
- Complete my backswing
- Hit it as hard as I can 

Some pitching practice, gradually increasing the distance with each shot. This is the most improved part of my game the past several months.

Feels are:
- Chest in front of the ball at 1
- Left arm rotates while maintaining extension in left wrist
- Turn chest, stay flexed over, right arm is passive

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

21 minutes ago, mvmac said:

To get the chest to open earlier the image I have in my head is that I have a laser pointer sticking out of my sternum and I want the laser to point to a spot in front of the ball by impact, so that gets my left side to stay lower longer in the transition/downswing.

Can you explain this more? What is your left side doing currently?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Can you explain this more? What is your left side doing currently?

Raising too early because the chest isn't opening, upper center is a bit behind the lower center. At 5 you would want them on top of each other or the upper a little ahead.

Left is earlier in the week. Leads to flippy pulls for me.

P5.jpgP6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

DTL and face-on from today, working on same stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

If you follow the swing thread you know I'm always working on getting less shallow/more steep on the downswing but only made minimal gains mechanically. To see if I can really change it I've been wanting to experiment with a couple things and got to run it by my buddy Mario a few weeks ago. Cool thing is he agreed and funny thing is it was what he wanted to try with me as well.

Here is the change to the pattern, also ties into the hand ascending and steeper hand path pieces. Obviously these components are specific to me, Mario laughs that I'm the only player he gives these feels to and would prefer it if I didn't share because he thinks it'll hurt his business 😛

A piece that was left out that we are also working on is trying to do more "work at the hip" on the backswing, more internal rotation at the hip joint. Tendency is to rotate the right femur more external, pelvis turns a little flat and then the leg kicks internal hard and fast, causing me to tip back and flip. If I can get more internal work going, I'll be able to move the pelvis down and away from the leg in transition (internal to less internal). Doing that by setting up with the right knee more bowed out (was getting it kicked in, not on purpose) and feeling like the left knee "holds" until my right hand passes my right thigh. Here I am focusing on that along with some downswing rehearsals.

Club head "tumbling" out on the downswing, not way under at 5.5-7.

Mechanically I think this is the best my putting has ever looked and it's been pretty good on the course the past several months. Mostly working on setup stuff. Shoulders level, arms external feeling, lats packed, right hand controlling the stroke, underhand release feeling of the putter.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Keasbey Peppers said:

I enjoy watching your swing changes, it's a very nice swing aesthetically! Do you feel active with your arms in the downswing?

Yes, very active on the backswing and downswing. Like how I was demonstrating in those videos, more lift on the backswing and trying to throw the club head out on the downswing. Obviously specific to my tendencies. 

Mike McLoughlin

9 hours ago, mvmac said:

Yes, very active on the backswing and downswing. Like how I was demonstrating in those videos, more lift on the backswing and trying to throw the club head out on the downswing. Obviously specific to my tendencies. 

Thanks for the reply. That's great to hear. I've struggled for years from different instructors telling me to let my arms fall on the downswing, and use my hips to square everything up. I end up with my hips wide open and my arms only half way down my chest, barely at hip high. I had a feeling I need to get my arms more active, but it seems like it's not taught enough in instructions. Everything is "fire the hips".

20 minutes ago, Keasbey Peppers said:

Thanks for the reply. That's great to hear. I've struggled for years from different instructors telling me to let my arms fall on the downswing, and use my hips to square everything up. I end up with my hips wide open and my arms only half way down my chest, barely at hip high. I had a feeling I need to get my arms more active, but it seems like it's not taught enough in instructions. Everything is "fire the hips".

@mvmac knows better than I, but I'd bet that most amateurs have far too little hip rotation and far too much arm effort, so the general thrust of instruction for the bulk of individual golfers probably SHOULD be oriented towards better lower-body mechanics.  You might consider reviving your MySwing thread to get some advice that's appropriate for you.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.