IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

Originally Posted by bomberman

And you're qualified to say whose qualified to give advice and whose not? Who qualified you to qualify others then?

And how do you even qualify one to be qualified? A PRO?

Bloody h***

There's more than one way to swing a golf club. If you don't like (or agree with) what an instructor is teaching then find one that you do agree with. There are plenty out there.

You seem to have the illusion that a coach has to have what you (and only you) consider the perfect swing.

News flash for you:

If a coach had to have THE PERFECT SWING none of the top players in the world would ever have a coach.

• Administrator
I've been telling Mike that his swing sucks for years now. ;)
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Geez I go on a cruise for a week and all hell breaks loose on Mikes thread. All I have to say is Mike knows exactly what he is talking about, and is the most generous I instructor I have had give me any advice. I have never seen any ounce of arrogance out of him. He has a ridiculously good swing, and I am sorry but one year is not enough time to discern good teaching from bad. Please bomberman, also learn what coming over the top and flipping wrists actually means.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by David in FL

Quote:

And you're qualified to say whose qualified to give advice and whose not? Who qualified you to qualify others then?

And how do you even qualify one to be qualified? A PRO?

Bloody h***

A wise man knows his own limitations.

Conversely.......

Or as the saying goes: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

As far as being qualified to give advice because he's a pro - yes.  That's kinda what being a teaching pro is all about.  Mike has the game, the handicap, the education/training, experience and abilities which qualify him as a teaching professional.  For a snot-nosed, self-taught, inexperienced teenager (with a 24 handicap, no less) to come into a thread and start insulting him, his swing and his teachings is utterly beyond ridiculous.  I'm actually amazed that the mods haven't banned him yet - but I'm guessing they're letting him hang around for a while purely for the entertainment value.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

I replied nicely with no intention to go against you but just curious about why you do swing differently etc etc hopefully able to learn some pointers and tips , but no you had to prove that you're right and i'm talking rubbish because i have not attended any physics lesson about golf and you're a pro.

Bomberman, it's clear from your first comments on the thread that you had no intention to be nice,

Originally Posted by bomberman

You guys are learning from him?

Horrible/bad back posture.

If you're pro I'll better join the web.com tour and get my pro card.. (haha kidding)

Originally Posted by bomberman

hold your gun.

You're pro? You cant even turn 90 degrees and finish off properly. You're like doing punch shots on every swing how in the world. You do realize that right?

What have golf become nowadays. really.

I'm a professional golfer because I get paid to teach, not because I'm playing on any tour, just how the rules are laid out.  I was a 2 handicap before I "turned pro", so obviously I don't have a "perfect swing" but I'm always trying to get better and keep learning.  Posting my swing up provides some transparency, is a great way to share what I'm working on and illustrate that you don't need to be "perfect" in order to be a single digit handicap.  I'm the harshest critic when it comes to my own swing.  If you want to try and provide some insights, then point out the things I actually do wrong, I certainly mention them in almost every post.

You said my swing sucks then gave me a few reasons why and I shared why you were wrong.  I wasn't defending my swing just educating against bad information.  This is where we put bad information http://thesandtrap.com/t/41332/the-comics-thread

If you really are interested in learning, this would be a great forum to check out. http://thesandtrap.com/f/4088/swing-thoughts

Now it's time for the thread to get back on topic.  If you have any questions for why I'm doing something then please feel free to ask.

Originally Posted by Mac62

I'm actually amazed that the mods haven't banned him yet - but I'm guessing they're letting him hang around for a while purely for the entertainment value.

We very, very rarely ban people from the site.  I don't have a problem with other's opinions, but we have to make sure thread don't get too far off track.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by iacas

I've been telling Mike that his swing sucks for years now. ;)

Now that's just piling on!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

We very, very rarely ban people from the site.  I don't have a problem with other's opinions, but we have to make sure thread don't get too far off track.

How about just banned from this thread? I think it's pretty sh!tty that your thread is now forever polluted with some 50 odd posts of Bomberman generated crap. It's not fair to the rest of the users on this site who want to learn from your thread.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Mike, since you were working on a steeper hip slant in the backswing, what are some of the feels/drills that you worked with? James wanted me to work on steeper hips as well but the higher hip isn't really clicking for me.

Originally Posted by LSU_justin

Mike, since you were working on a steeper hip slant in the backswing, what are some of the feels/drills that you worked with? James wanted me to work on steeper hips as well but the higher hip isn't really clicking for me.

Couple feels that might work.  If you're having a tough time feeling it, this is the order I'd work in.

- At home, set-up with your butt barely touching a wall, then feel your right ass cheek slide up the wall on the backswing

- Stick an alignment stick through your belt loops and make backswings where the stick is "steep".  Literally make the right hip go up and the left hips go down.  Will feel like less rotation, less "around".

- On the backswing feel like you stretch your right side, stretch that right hip UP

- Think of your thighs as pistons, the right goes up and the left goes down.  Allow the right knee to gradually lose some flex and the left knee to gradually gain some flex.  Notice I highlighted "gradually" ;-)

Be careful not to try and do it with your shoulders, can lead to the head moving around too much.

Then at home and on the range, practice the backswings and stop at the top, holding the position for 10 seconds.  You'll really feel it in your right glute, or at least I do.

Get in front of a mirror and try to copy this hip slant.  See what "feels" helped you get there.  Then do it a few thousand times Keep this image or something similar in your head when you hit shots.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

Oh goodness. Don't make Mike do that hip motion thing again. No wonder the waiter put my pie down between us. Must have seen Mike on the range...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Oh goodness. Don't make Mike do that hip motion thing again. No wonder the waiter put my pie down between us. Must have seen Mike on the range...

hahaha

obviously an inside joke

Mike McLoughlin

Was asked these questions in a PM.

- Why do you change your angle of attack when coming down the swing plane?

Angle of attack refers to decent or ascent into the ball at impact, so not sure how I can change it from backswing to downswing.  There are many "planes" in the golf swing.  I tend to have a rightward swing direction, measured on 3D systems.  So even though I do have a little up and out move with my arms, my horizontal swing plane is oriented to the right.

- I think if you draw a circle around your swing it wouldn't be even? I mean your striking is solid because you come back to the plane eventually through impact which is remarkable so why? (i just think it looks that way) maybe DTL view would be clearer.

Like Erik said a few posts ago, virtually every tour player comes "over the top".  Meaning the left arm was more inward (from dtl) on the backswing than on the downswing.  I would like to see my left arm more in on the downswing.  The "plane" that I come back to isn't that important, some great players are on it some are way above it, not a commonality of the games' best

players.  Obviously the camera angle is huge.  For "plane" stuff it much better to measure what is really going on with 3D radar systems like FlightScope and Trackman.

Arms "deeper" on the backswing.  Both these guys draw the ball.

None of these guys shaft's match where they are at address.  I'd actually like the see mine higher but that would be a result of some other things.

- How do you initiate your down swing? Do you slide your hips then turn or?

and why do you over rotate your hips during the upswing? habit?

I don't think I over rotate my hips.  Hips should def be open at impact but I wouldn't say mine are too open.  I would say I tend to rotate my upper center a little early.  Not an optimal kinematic sequence.  For me I FEEL the downswing initiates by flexing my left knee forward (towards the target).  This allows the hips to slide forward along the circle, so sliding and rotating.

Mike McLoughlin

Finally got out for some practice (since I've been told a lot lately that my swing sucks ).  Played three times last week, my 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds of the year. F or the most part I was pleased with how I hit it on the 3rd and 4th rounds but on the 5th round things were starting to deteriorate.  Felt almost like I was "rushing" through shots.  So today was dedicated to slow, mapping swings.  Both swings feeling the right hip stretch upward and then transferring my lower center forward.  Hips "steeper" for me does some nice stuff with how I load the shaft and less lifting of the arms at the top of the backswing and makes Keys #2 and 3 much easier.  First swing, maybe 50% speed, second swing felt slower than it looks lol  Lots of center face contact today, my miss tends to be off the toe (which I hate).  Also great to have Erik in town last week and give me his thoughts.

Things I like:

- For almost a month now my alignments at A4 have been pretty good, always been a player that has had the shaft "laid off", pointing too far to the left.  I've had short periods where it's been good but never stuck.  Cool thing is I'm not trying to manufacture the picture, just a result of a better pivot.

Things I don't like:

- Better footwork with the right foot

- Arms deeper on the downswing and handle down more at A6

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator

Things I like:

• You're wearing a slightly different outfit
  • You're not doing the hip squat that sticks your butt out backwards but are actually sliding the hips forward a little more in the practice move

Things I don't like:

• That it's 42° here
  • That you don't play very much. Get out with Stephen more.

Things I like:

You're wearing a slightly different outfit

You're not doing the hip squat that sticks your butt out backwards but are actually sliding the hips forward a little more in the practice move

Things I don't like:

That it's 42° here

That you don't play very much. Get out with Stephen more.

lol

Yeah I'm definitely going to be playing more

Mike McLoughlin

Do you have a posterior view of this position?

The reason I ask is I struggle to get my hands anywhere near this high while keeping my right arm (armpit pp) on my body and I'm interested to see how far in front of your body your hands actually are (as opposed to off to your right hand side/behind you) and I believe this would help me to understand better the position I'm trying to get achieve.

• 3 weeks later...

Working on the same stuff.  Just want to share how I'm practicing.  Trying to make very few "full" swings.  Takes some patience Getting much better at doing these mapping swings.

Mike McLoughlin