IGNORED

My Swing (mvmac)

mvmac

13 hours ago, Keasbey Peppers said:

Thanks for the reply. That's great to hear. I've struggled for years from different instructors telling me to let my arms fall on the downswing, and use my hips to square everything up. I end up with my hips wide open and my arms only half way down my chest, barely at hip high. I had a feeling I need to get my arms more active, but it seems like it's not taught enough in instructions. Everything is "fire the hips".

Like I said, I can only speak for my swing/tendencies. Someone else might have to feel the complete opposite. Like @DaveP043 said, start a swing thread and get help specific to your move. Having said that I do agree it is popular in instruction right now to be more body focused and passive with the arms.

All I can say is that in reality the arms aren't "passive" in the swing but the body sequencing and positioning is important to fully utilize the arms. Here is a good example of a player into the downswing, the body positioning on the right is going to allow the player to "use" his arms more effectively than the left pic.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 11.06.45 PM.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/14/2019 at 12:13 AM, mvmac said:

Mechanically I think this is the best my putting has ever looked and it's been pretty good on the course the past several months. Mostly working on setup stuff. Shoulders level, arms external feeling, lats packed, right hand controlling the stroke, underhand release feeling of the putter.

I’m curious what you mean when you say “lats packed”.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, Grizvok said:

I’m curious what you mean when you say “lats packed”.

Grab an alignment stick, take your putting stance with your palms facing away from you and bend the stick in a way that would bring your elbows closer together. Similar feeling to the start of a deadlift.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Grab an alignment stick, take your putting stance with your palms facing away from you and bend the stick in a way that would bring your elbows closer together. Similar feeling to the start of a deadlift.

Great. This is what I thought you were referring to, but I wasn’t entirely sure. Definitely a feel that has helped my putting tremendously and something I need to get back to focusing on.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:09 AM, mvmac said:

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 11.06.45 PM.png

I’m asking cuz this might be similar to my priority piece...but what’s the deal with the hip box? I can’t see much difference, or are the boxes supposed to be on top of each other?

Actually, just tell me what the boxes show lol. (When you have time of course)

thanks

5 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

I’m asking cuz this might be similar to my priority piece...but what’s the deal with the hip box? I can’t see much difference, or are the boxes supposed to be on top of each other?

Actually, just tell me what the boxes show lol. (When you have time of course)

thanks

It’s pretty subtle, but I think clear that the correct version has been a more centered pivot and that the weight has started getting forward a bit earlier on and you can kind of see the “feel” of falling into the lead leg a little bit.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Edited by Grizvok

7 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Actually, just tell me what the boxes show lol.

In the left pic the sternum is "behind" the belt buckle and the right one the sternum is "on top" of the belt buckle. Easier to fire the arms down in the right pic and potentially create more speed. Left pic could lead to more pushes and over-draws.

On 6/4/2019 at 6:16 PM, Grizvok said:

Great. This is what I thought you were referring to, but I wasn’t entirely sure. Definitely a feel that has helped my putting tremendously and something I need to get back to focusing on.

I like it because it helps me rotate a little with my mid-torso and get my shoulders close to level. Also puts my wrists in a position that I like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Recent stuff. Feeling more of what Mario describes below because if you follow this thread I have a tendency to lower my head on the takeaway which causes sequencing issues with rotation, wrist set, shaft inclination and momentum, right off the bat.

Feeling more of that "upload" trigger move here,

So my play/stock swing where I'm just hitting shots can have the head staying more level, like this swing.

@Grizvok, @Slim_Pivot

Email from Shaun Webb, reiterating the images with the boxes.

What we see with the best players in the world is that they move very little off the ball in the backswing with the center of the torso. 

Then in the downswing they tend to move it forward more than most amateur golfers tend to realize.

Here’s a snap shot of one of the best players in the world at lead arm parallel in the downswing. 

As you can see he's moved the center of his torso (and his pelvis) around 3 ½ inches more forward in the downswing than where he started.

This move allows him to position his body in a way that will allow him to compress the shot and take a divot in front of the ball. 

It also keeps him in a position to avoid nasty blocks and hooks which can come from “hanging back” the upper body.

To work on it yourself, try to position the buttons on your shirt even with the ball as you move into the downswing. 

This will put you in the best position to not only hit solid shots but to use the ground as you extend the lead leg into impact. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Some practice and driver swings from yesterday. Hitting it solid.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Looking good. You can really see the changes in the video. 👍

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 month later...

Shelving the upload stuff for now, as some takeaway issues have reared their head. 

Was seeing the hands get too far away from me and the club head banking inward. From there I would lift the arms and hit thin pushes.

Obviously the better I can upload/shift the pressure early the cleaner the takeaway becomes but I've needed to really put some mechanics/change the picture work in. So working mostly on 1-3, feeling the right arm stay more "on top", then having the right elbow as high as I can at 4. Easier for me to "tumble" the shaft into a steeper position from there. Starting to see the sweet spot consistently line up better at 6.

Bad timing that when I first started working on the takeaway I had a big tournament, fought the feel and hit it horribly. Turned it around this week and have hit it really solid. This week I also experimented with not grounding the club and it's been really good so far, can't "snatch" the club away from 1-2.

Was on Trackman the other day, angle of attack was 5 down and swing direction was 2-3 left, basically right where I want it with my speed right now.

9F6A799F-958A-40E4-925B-3BA05B20F422.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 weeks later...

This was a solid one. Slightly pulled with a little draw.

Experimenting with a different transition feel, something Mario came up with. Hit some of the most solid shots of my life this last week.

Literally feeling like I spread my elbows apart from 3.5- 5, more of the right arm separating from the left. Idea is to force me to lower and steepen the shaft without the left arm zeroing out at 5. Left arm could get too far out when I felt my right arm stay more on top in transition, which creates too many pieces to manage.

I think this 5 is better, I'm actually lowering a bit, right shoulder is a little more retracted, left arm a touch deeper and the knees are where they were at 1 (better rotation). Impact has more of that "open with right side bend, with right arm flexion" look.

P5-7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 5 weeks later...

After a 5-6 weeks of being takeaway focused, started to "free it up" this week. Mario puts it like this, "extended arms and flex torso to P2 and retract arms and com with extended torso to top....unweighted left" but obviously I have to make it my own.

Bounce, bounce bounce, flow right with club staying behind ball, then “throw” my arms and club back and ride out the momentum. It’s almost like the arms/hands are synced with the pivot early and as the backswing builds the arms get “thrown” by the momentum of the pivot and re-centering of CG to create the torso "separation" and trail shoulder retraction I'm looking for. Also important for me to be 90 degrees or more at 3 with the shaft angle (caddy view). Really tough piece for me.

Which led to this round. Really cool to play like this, just one of those days where the hole was a bucket and every shot started where I was looking and all the yardages "fit". Unfortunately had two 3-putts and the drive on #10 was just pulled a bit up the left fairway, got a bad bounce and went in the desert in a bush. Took an unplayable and actually made a good bogey. Funny thing I'm not a fan of the course, TPC Vegas, too much target golf, had to hit five 3-woods off the tee, which I hate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

you ever try to lower your dynamic loft at all?  you don't look like you really compress the ball at all. clearly as  +2, it doesnt really matter. Just wondering. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

How annoyed are you at that bogey on 5? Sheesh. Shooting 30 with a bogey on the front 9 is crazy.

Did you try qualifying for the US Mid-Am this year?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Mannnn what a swing!

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 
Irons: Titleist AP3 4-Pw

Wedges: 48,52,56 Titleist vokey
Putter: Scotty Select Newport 

15 hours ago, downbylaw11 said:

you ever try to lower your dynamic loft at all?  you don't look like you really compress the ball at all. clearly as  +2, it doesnt really matter. Just wondering. 

lol yes everything I'm trying to do is addressing that. I'm not working on my backswing to make the picture pretty 😛 Everything I work on is connected to improving impact alignments, otherwise what's the point?

Dynamic loft is about is about 2-3 degrees higher from where I want it. My angle of attack is around 4-5 down now with a 7-iron. I'm hitting the ball first (can see the shaft is inline with my left forearm) and taking a divot so there is some "compression" 😉

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 12.59.46 PM.png

5 hours ago, DeadMan said:

How annoyed are you at that bogey on 5? Sheesh. Shooting 30 with a bogey on the front 9 is crazy.

Did you try qualifying for the US Mid-Am this year?

What annoys me is that it was a 3-putt from only about 25-30 ft. Honestly though I had no idea what I shot after the front or after the round. I knew it was pretty good but crazy when one of the guys told me 9 birdies and an eagle.

Shot 73 with no birdies. So overall solid round, lipped out 6 putts, it was almost comical. Only one spot where I tried, played with a guy who got it, he shot 67 with a bogey on the last hole.

3 hours ago, Double_AA said:

Mannnn what a swing!

Thanks!

Mike McLoughlin

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

Everything I work on is connected to improving impact alignments, otherwise what's the point?

Curious if you have a 'feel / trigger' or if it is just a natural move and no thought involved for when you initiate your down swing (transfer weight forward).  At normal speed it's easier for me to see that your weight moves forward like a slide or bump before you turn, but with slow motion I don't see the slide/bump as well, it looks more like just a turn.  This is something I am working on, some days the weight shift is so easy, but others I feel like I do it 5 different ways and can't remember the feel/trigger from the days it is easy.

Gus
---------------