mvmac

My Swing (mvmac)

551 posts / 90720 viewsLast Reply

Good session with Mario today. Been a struggle lately, hitting good shots has been feeling like a lot of work. Hitting it fairly solid but just too many left shots. The tweaks/cues today turned it all around. Kinda going back to some feels I was working on in late Nov/Dec when I was playing well and shooting "easy" under par rounds. 

Focus the past month has been more on the re-center, implementation was off, I was almost trying to close more at the top and fell back into my tendency of turning the pelvis too much too early. Which gets me too shallow, swing direction too far out, face closes like a mother. With more pelvis/pressure shift, it cleans up a lot of the hand/club path on the takeaway and allows me to use the muscles/load the tissue up my right side so I can transition with more stretch (upper center opening later) and inclination.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Qualified for the U.S. Am Four-Ball yesterday. I was -5 thru 13 on my own ball and my partner carried me on the last few holes, especially with his birdie on the 4th playoff hole.

As Mario mentioned, made a visit to Dr. Kwon last week, got measured and analyzed.

I was turning my pelvis like 70 degrees on the backswing and losing all the stretch between the upper and lower body from 3-4 and couldn’t take advantage of the early shift. Have to engage muscles in right side, especially right hip, which I wasn’t doing.  Upper and lower turning at same rate from 3-4. No stretch which means I open the upper early and left arm swings across it. 

So my horizontal stuff was good just need more vertical on backswing with better transition rhythm/sequencing. Right hip much higher to 4. 

Dr. Kwon recommended more “kick” up and outward after the shift at 1. Tried out some triggers and he changed mine a bit. More trigger with right knee going down and in (right hip lowers as a result) to elevate the right hip more going back. "Post up" move Mario is talking about.

Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.08.24 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.08.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.11.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.08.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-02-21 at 9.09.48 PM.png

Biggest takeaways from the whole thing. 

- What the pelvis is doing is his top priority, ground interaction is second. What the arms, wrists, club does is a reaction to all that. 

- How he suggests training the changes.

- Importance of self discovery. Figuring out your trigger move to create momentum early. 

- How anyone who is good is still winding up the upper body as the body is shifting forward (transition/downswing). 

- According to him, swings should feel like “less effort” at impact. Ties into creating a big enough moment arm, the point above and loading the thigh to rib section of the trail side on the backswing.

PG-13 warning for this post 😂

One of Kwon's assistants sent this to me.

Pleased I was able to capture some good swings during my visit. Not snatching the club inside at 2, not narrow at 3. Have worked hard to get it to where I can do it without thinking about it.

IMG_0443.JPG

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

We can’t unsee this @mvmac! But it is better that it’s you in the photos than me for everyone’s sake!

13 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

First thing I see in the morning is @mvmac pretending to be Henrik Stenson. What a day to be alive lol

Could this be the next TST challenge / badge...

Edited by CarlSpackler

Had a couple questions for Dr. Kwon, mostly double checking on some parts of the report, this was his response. Drawing he added was at the TB image, red line/right hip.

IMG_0692.jpgIMG_0613.JPG

Review from this week.

Swings from this week. Working through the updated feels/priorities. Still have a long ways to go on the sequencing. Got ball speed to 160 on driver with stock speed feeling swings, which even though it's a ways off, shows it's better. I like how that right hip/thigh is working "to the line" and then climbing up it (face-on), rather than sliding past it like and then over-rotating like some earlier swings.

D90CB2DF-EA82-4F87-A7FA-530AA70AC5B4.JPG

Good progress the last week. Put in a lot of time on what I posted last week along with some self-discovery of my own. Feeling on the good ones is after the shift, I push outward and maintain a long “stretch” up the trail side while the bad ones I lose the stretch. Lose the tension/torque which means I'm just going to coast on the downswing. Best way I can explain it right now.

Step Drills.

Few highlights of the updated feel is that the right hip is climbing up rather than sliding. Compared to the swing on the left where I was moving too far right and over-rotating.

6.jpg

Right thigh/femur is more vertical as a result (Kwon drawing in last post). Puts me in a better position to windup as I fall left in transition. Easier for me to take divots, "compress it".5.jpg

In terms of sequencing, I like this, some shift early and then back to the line by 4.5. Swings from a year or few months ago would have been late here.

1.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg8.jpg