IGNORED

Driver distance vs. Handicap

birdiedream
Note: This thread is 3179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the data shows that driving distance does not necessarily equate to a low handicap. That's all, nothing more. I don't think that everyone here is lying about their distance like so many others think. I still can't fathom how people think hitting a ball 270+ yds is out of the question for an amateur.

For example, the league I play in. Teams of 2. One team has 2 guys that both played college baseball. You would not believe how far they hit the ball. But the closer they get to the green the worse they are. And overall they are terrible iron players and their short game is scary bad. One is an 18 hdcp the other is a 22 hdcp. They would definitely be guys that hit it around 300 on a regular basis. They are strong and athletic, but they are not good overall golfers. There's a ton of guys like that out there, young athletic kids play golf now, moreso than in the past. and yes, they hit the ball further than you do.

This has been a great thread, very interesting to see the correlation between driver distance and handicap. While the numbers could be tainted by over-estimation of avg driver distance by many mid - high handicappers, it could also reflect the lack of time spent on the course to improve their short games and that a majority of their time is spent at the range grooving their driver swing. My numbers: Driver distance 200 yards, handicap 36+

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

interesting how most low handicap's are roughly in the 240 range while the high handicappers claim to be in the 270 range. :)

Looks to me like some lower handicappers need to start eating thier Wheaties. They're skewing the data for the rest of us.... From -10 and down, there are 7 under the 250 and 10 at 250+, that tells me the opposite of what you see.

I just wonder which teebox the participants tee off from. As I wrote mine in previous reply, 260/3.4 from Blue (avg. 6500 yds) but my dad (70 yrs old) 220/2.0 from White or senior tee if available (avg. 5600 - 6000 yds). Then getting low scores are not related to how far one can tee off. Do we always tee off from right tee box for our ability? For me, choosing right tee box is very important. Even i'm hot on driver, I don't go to Black (Championship) tee automatically. Hell, My rounds should be that I enjoy golf and take and get back to whatever architect throw at me, not agonizing for more distance for every shot.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

driving average 286.4 yards. I play from the tips and the courses are usually anywhere from 6900 to 7100 yards long and a slope rating of 128-134. 1.x handicap. I play 4 times a week and practice everyday for about 2 hours. I'm 6'3", 27 and I'm a professional dancer. Lankiness, rhythm, and huge flexibility = big tee shots and opportunities. the problem is that my "short irons" (7 iron and down) start from 195 yards out, and that has taken a while to get used to.

Driver: Adams 9064ld 6.5* w/ Oban Devotion 7 .... 281 cpm at 44"
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge xcg 4 3 wood w/ rapport blue velvet shaft

hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics cg4 17* 2 hybrid
Irons: Miura series 1957 "baby blades" w/ KBS tour shafts
Wedges: Miura: 52* wedge, 56* K grind, 59* Y grind
Putter: taylormade white smoke 35"

I still maintain that age should be a factor. A young scratch golfer may not rely on bombing drives, but they sure will help him go low. A senior scratch golfer will be relying on a stellar short game. As I said earlier in the thread, I'm averaging around 230 at a 24 handicap, but it's not because I have a good swing, not even close. Youth is on my side.

driving average 286.4 yards. I play from the tips and the courses are usually anywhere from 6900 to 7100 yards long and a slope rating of 128-134. 1.x handicap. I play 4 times a week and practice everyday for about 2 hours. I'm 6'3", 27 and I'm a professional dancer. Lankiness, rhythm, and huge flexibility = big tee shots and opportunities. the problem is that my "short irons" (7 iron and down) start from 195 yards out, and that has taken a while to get used to.

O.M.F.G.

My BS detector just melted.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

O.M.F.G.

hahaha i thought it was a joke until I just read it again...

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

no BS.....will play with anyone to prove it anyday. Come to nashville and we can play the black tees at gaylord springs. That one is nasty enough to have some fun.

the key to a low handicap isn't a big tee shot. it is knowing what distances you can repeatedly hit every iron in the bag.

no BS.....will play with anyone to prove it anyday. Come to nashville and we can play the black tees at gaylord springs. That one is nasty enough to have some fun.

Something off-putting about the last couple sentences...

the key to a low handicap isn't a big tee shot. it is knowing what distances you can repeatedly hit every iron in the bag.

yes we know that.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Something off-putting about the last couple sentences...

Whatever happens in Nashville stays in Nashville.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

not meaning to be put offish.......I'm just saying that I can back it up. both the distances and the handicap even on challenging courses. I play nearly everyday, and have no reason to BS....when I posted my response to the thread that is all it was meant to be. a simple response to a thread. I have no reason to bs

not meaning to be put offish.......I'm just saying that I can back it up. both the distances and the handicap even on challenging courses. I play nearly everyday, and have no reason to BS....when I posted my response to the thread that is all it was meant to be. a simple response to a thread. I have no reason to bs

Ironically, if we thought you were actually lying we probably wouldn't have responded.

Welcome to the Sand Trap!!

I didn't think you were being a jerk at all, just joking about the combination of some of the words you used (see Sean Miller's Nashville reference).

Handicap: 11
Average Drive: 220

I'll occassionaly hit one 240+...last week I hit a GPS verified drive of 292 yards on a course that was firm and fast becasue they had scalped the bermuda and were preparing to overseed. But...my "average" drive truly is about 220yds. I have trouble with a course over 6500yds but I still manage to beat many of my friends who outdrive me.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Note: This thread is 3179 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!