IGNORED

Driver distance vs. Handicap

birdiedream
Note: This thread is 3153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Average 230, index 8.5

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is obviously a relationship between handicap and distance, although it is not a perfect correlation.

In general terms, lower handicappers hit the ball further than higher handicappers. Not ALL lower handicapper are farther than ALL higher handicappers, of course, so you don't need to cite the example of the 24 handicapper at your club who hits it 310 yards through the air. With his 7 iron.

There are some genuine exceptions. UK 2 times Amateur Champion Gary Wolstenholme, now a senior pro, barely hits it 240 carry. But he hits it awfully straight.

Me: driver swing speed 100-102mph, carry distance about 245. 6 iron 165 carry. UK handicap 8.

----------------------------------
909D3 10.5 Matrix Code 6
909F2 15.5 and 18.5 Whiteboard
585H Ozik Altus
MP68 4-P, KBS ZTP 52. 56, 60 KBS DASS Luke DonaldHome club: http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

Not too many low handicappers are not long hitters, they just simply have a better swing than high handicappers. That doesnt mean high handicappers cant be long hitters, but if they are then the rest of their game doesnt measure up, irons and short game and putting especially. Not being able to hit long drives does put more pressure on the rest of your game as it makes for longer 2nd shots on longer holes and much less likely to hit greens from farther away. Im a pretty high handicapper myself, not exactly sure just put 25 on profile as a guess and I'll probably average about 220 with driver, occasionally getting up to 240-250 with a really good one, maybe once every 9 holes or so. If i could hit my irons more consistently, i would be a much better player as i have a pretty good short game and can putt pretty good. Its just getting those iron shots on or near the green that i have trouble with, especially out of the rough.

Driver-Taylormade Burner Ti 420 cc 10.5 deg reg flex
3 wood-orlimar rcx 14 deg
Hybrids-warrior golf 20 deg, 23 deg and 26 deg
6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 irons steel shafts, reg flex, 56 deg tour series wedge
Putter-Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet...

Like most have said there is a minor relationship between hc and driver distance. IMHO handicap has more to do with what happens after your tee shot. I'm a 21 handicap driving 250ish on "average" with the occasional 280 bomb, and 200 duff/slice/hook.

Prime example was yesterday, I hit a drive 287, leaving +/-60 to the hole. Duffed chip, long chip on but way past the hole, three putt. Two holes later, drive 305 pin high but left and behind a bunker. Chip into bunker, blade sand shot out and across green, chip back on, 2 putt. My long game was spot-on yesterday, but my short game was garbage. Many holes that should have been par at least turned into doubles or worse!

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

I have good and bad driving streaks. At the moment I am straight but short. Not hitting the sweetspot.

I would say my total overall average is 210, my hcp is 17,7

In my Tour Combo Bag:

Driver: Superquad 9.5°
5W: 2008 Burner 18°
3H: Idea Pro Gold 20°4H: 2008 Burner Rescue 22°Irons: MP52 R300 5-PWedges: Vokey SM 50.08, 54.11, 58.04, 60.11Putter: Itsy Bitsy SpiderBall: TP Red

I took my driver out of my bag for a while due to horrific inconsistency, but last time I used it regularly I'd say I was at about 220 carry, 230 roll on average, and my handicap will have been oh, let's say 25 at a guess. I haven't done a good job of logging my stats/scores this summer, I've just been trying to get out as much as possible.

I think this also needs to take age into account. Without youth on my side, I think my terrible driver swing would result in something more like 190-200.

• Administrator
275, 0. Add that to the chart.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I Think people overestimate their distances too much. Having said that though I usually keep track of drive lengths with my gps and with no wind flat ground and roll out(I like to hit my driver mid-low as it gets really windy in perth), I'd say 235m average. obviously you skank some that go about 220 and absolutely flush some over 280m when you are swinging well. HC index: 3.9

EDIT: Btw I pretty much swing out my shoes with the driver as the fairways at my home course are huge and even bad shots can still find fairways

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I am only 185 to 190 off the tee, but thats because i use a 4 iron since i am still struggling with the longer clubs. That being said, i have dropped from a 36 to a 19.6 this year using just my irons, so im super excited for next season

Rapture Driver (12 degrees)
Rapture V2 4 Wood (17.5 degrees)
Rapture Hybrid (21 Degrees)
X-24 Hot Irons (4 through PW)
CG15 Wedges, 48, 52 and 58 degrees Method Putter #1 HX Hot Plus Golf Balls

I am only 185 to 190 off the tee, but thats because i use a 4 iron since i am still struggling with the longer clubs. That being said, i have dropped from a 36 to a 19.6 this year using just my irons, so im super excited for next season

do you play on a really short course or something?

What are you hitting into the green? another 4i? it's going to be hard to get past 18 just hitting a 4i on a medium-long course

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

13.2 - Average 230

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Handicap at this very moment: 1.9
Normal driving distance: 260-275 (average about 265)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

275, 0. Add that to the chart.

Not to go off topic, but I noticed that you stopped displaying your handicap in your profile a couple (few?) months ago, roughly corresponding to the time you changed your status to "pro". Any particular reason?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Note: This thread is 3153 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!