IGNORED

My Swing (mdl)

mdl

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It still exists and a moderator merged it for you.

Why?

I'd be more concerned with this:

image.png

P.S. Mind your camera angles, and I don't just mean how crooked that angle is above.

Because my hips are open like 0-5°? 😬

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, mdl said:

Because my hips are open like 0-5°? 😬

Yep.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Some attempts to keep some of the plane stuff I was working on while not forgetting to move my lower body.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• 1 year later...

Been a while. Only got DTL today. This is a 2i.

I see shallow at A3. A little narrow at A4. Maybe too much head dip on the back swing. Think I’m getting good hip clear left but not sure if I’m getting them forward enough. Will have to get a FO. This was a (not extreme) pull-draw. Need to be less rotational right from the top. Got a few swings after this where I did that successfully and it felt good at least.

Y’all see anything?

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

5 hours ago, mdl said:

Been a while. Only got DTL today. This is a 2i.

I see shallow at A3. A little narrow at A4. Maybe too much head dip on the back swing. Think I’m getting good hip clear left but not sure if I’m getting them forward enough. Will have to get a FO. This was a (not extreme) pull-draw. Need to be less rotational right from the top. Got a few swings after this where I did that successfully and it felt good at least.

Y’all see anything?

What is the specific piece you are working on?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

What is the specific piece you are working on?

Really I'm still trying to settle in with all the swing changes I made last summer and fall. Over six months I changed a ton. Straighten the back leg more. More width. Shallower at A5. Hips more left and forward. Maintain spine angle.

Yesterday I was concentrating on:

1. Athletic transition (rather than a less flowing more position checklist type swing, where I feel less athletic and hit the ball much less consistently). What I'm checking for in the video is lower body starting the transition at like A3.9+
  2. Hands forward at impact and a more bowed wrist. I'd gotten too much of a flip/roll going on through impact (though with my hands still forward). Pump drill and stop drill and partial and slow dry swings are my main drills for that.

I'm open to other thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
1 hour ago, mdl said:

I'm open to other thoughts.

Don't be. 🙂

Be a Stupid Monkey. Not a Curious Cat.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Don't be. 🙂

Be a Stupid Monkey. Not a Curious Cat.

Ha. I'm all about stupid monkey. My pace of improvement, solidifying and fine tuning my swing changes, has been dramatically faster than the time I've had to play or go to the range would suggest from obsessive no club and dry swing drills in my living room focusing on one element at a time.

I meant more, does anything stand out to anyone that clearly should be prioritized over what I'm working on?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, mdl said:

Ha. I'm all about stupid monkey. My pace of improvement, solidifying and fine tuning my swing changes, has been dramatically faster than the time I've had to play or go to the range would suggest from obsessive no club and dry swing drills in my living room focusing on one element at a time.

I meant more, does anything stand out to anyone that clearly should be prioritized over what I'm working on?

If you're comfortable with your instructor… ask that guy.

That's more what I meant.

For example, even though I could probably look at your swing and tell you a few things… I don't know your limitations. I don't know what you've messed with and what has and hasn't worked.

There's also only one video (a silhouette at that), and there's no face-on.

But… pressed to say something, I'd point out that you're narrow at the top AND that your left heel is off the ground for a REALLY long time… and those two things are related.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

If you're comfortable with your instructor… ask that guy.

That's more what I meant.

For example, even though I could probably look at your swing and tell you a few things… I don't know your limitations. I don't know what you've messed with and what has and hasn't worked.

There's also only one video (a silhouette at that), and there's no face-on.

Ah. Fair enough. I did a series of fortnightly video lessons for 3 months. I thought he was great. I should circle back around with him but am not currently seeing him so thought I'd post here.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

But… pressed to say something, I'd point out that you're narrow at the top AND that your left heel is off the ground for a REALLY long time… and those two things are related

Interesting. Can't say I'd ever considered that. Is this related to @boogielicious getting less shoulder rotation while straightening the back leg more?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, mdl said:

Interesting. Can't say I'd ever considered that. Is this related to @boogielicious getting less shoulder rotation while straightening the back leg more?

No. Not really.

Have you seen the "flow" stuff from my 30-day plan?

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. Not really.

Have you seen the "flow" stuff from my 30-day plan?

I have. I'd seen/read some stuff about that before but actually seeing that was what kicked off my current focus on it. It inspired some playing around with it and suddenly I felt like an athlete instead of a mechanic. Maybe I need to go back through those couple videos?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

2 hours ago, mdl said:

Ah. Fair enough. I did a series of fortnightly video lessons for 3 months. I thought he was great. I should circle back around with him but am not currently seeing him so thought I'd post here.

Ignore what I’m doing and focus on you. I’m a 61 year old with some limiters. We’re two totally different body types.  Be the monkey!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 8 months later...

After shoulder surgery and months out of commission, I’ve succeeded in coming back better! Lots of work on the lower body while I was out. Focusing on leveraging the new stability in my front shoulder capsule. Not being afraid of using my SC joint to get width. I’ve broken 80 for the first time in years and generally feel wildly more in control of the ball than I ever have. Anyway, here's where I am currently.

Seems the 7i links didn't work 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1. For a 7 iron, the ball position looks to be too far back in the stance.
  2. The grip looks super strong.
  3. It looks like you take the club too far behind you. Your right elbow gets behind you a bit, and is collapsed a good amount at A3 to A4. (see DTL).

At A5

Screen Shot 2022-07-20 at 11.48.26 PM.png

Right here, I do not think you have a chance of releasing all that angle in time if you have proper turn sequencing. You have to stay back and stall the turn to release that angle. This will sap you of power and consistency. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@saevel25 that's incredibly helpful, thanks!

On #1 in aiming for middle of the stance. I'll keep an eye on that. #2 I think is a trick of the forward press that's coming from my accentuating getting the left shoulder extended from the start. For my left hand at least, at a neutral so I can barely see the 2nd knuckle. I'm hoping to get back to neutral setup eventually.

#3 feels like maybe a huge unlock! I've been noticing and not loving how I'm pretty wide through ~A3.5 and then my elbow collapses a bit in the transition. And forever I've been trying to figure out why I lean away from the ball so much between A5 and A7. What you say makes me think of the rotated/tucked trail elbow from the 5 fundamentals. And of the waiter carry at  A4. That along the line you were thinking?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
19 hours ago, mdl said:

On #1 in aiming for middle of the stance.

No. That's way too far back.

The middle of your stance is where the back of the ball can go for a wedge. The center of the ball in the middle of your stance for any club is too far back, and that's progressively more so ("too far back") the longer the club.

(edited)

Just saw Erik’s note about ball position... Was working on keeping the arms closer together and keeping width in the back swing and the follow through. Still leaning away from the target. But feels like a step in the right direction.

Edited by mdl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Titleist 585h 19˚
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚