IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Save the club space. Just choke down on an 8 or 9 iron and make an exagerated putting stroke.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

You will have lots of golfers say, "why use a chipper when you already have that club in your bag, it is called a 7-iron". Or they will say, "chippers are for old men". Or, "just practice chipping with different clubs and learn how to chip with what you have in your bag". Or, "I can't remove X club out of my bag to make room for a chipper". I have seen and heard them all.

This is

by far the best post on this thread. Many years ago I had one. I was actually more comfortable using my 7-iron so I gave it to a friend of mine. He still uses it. Good for him, it's what he's comfortable with. I guess that makes him an old man, a hack, lazy, etc. etc. Whatever. Great post packerfan1.

What's in my bag?
Bigger Sticks....: Driver: ping.gif G15 9* Fairwayping.gif 4-wood  Hybrids: 4,5  taylormade.gif Rescue Dual
Smaller Sticks...: Irons:  ping.gif G15 5-PW Wedges: titleist.gif Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 degree
Flatter Stick......:  odyssey.gif 2-ball putter
Not a Stick.........: Ball:  titleist.gif Dt So/Lo or NXT Tour  Bag:  taylormade.gif Catalina clicgear.gif

• 3 months later...
Played with a buddy today and he decided he'd rather have a chipper in his bag than a hybrid.

His is a really old classic Ben Hogan chipper blade.

So anyone play with an updated chipper?

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I dont play with one or see a reason in doing so. I do have a buddy that only uses it around the green though. He doesnt have a handicap but usually shoots in the 110s+ with counting no penalties and being VERY generous with gimmies. I keep telling him to use his hybrid and use a putting stroke with it so he can put a useful wedge in his bag but he refuses.

if by chipper you mean 7i, 8i, 9i, pw, sw, and lw i chip with....then yes i do.

In my Diablo Edge Tour/ Titliest Stand Bag:
Driver: Nike VR Pro 8.5* w/ Myazaki 43g X
3 Wood: Nike VR Pro II 13.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X
5 Wood: Cobra S9-1 Pro 18* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 83g X

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21* w/ Prolaunch Red X
Irons: 4-7 Titleist 712 CB, 8-9 712 MB w/ TT Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: 46* Vokey SM4, 54* Vokey SM4, 60* TMade ATV

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Belly 43"

I must be the biggest hacker ever because I chip, 99% of the time, with an L-wedge. Where the hell did I put my dunce cap?

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

\All BS aside, your buddy may benefit from a chipping lesson.

Well yes, but if I'm on the fringe I'm using my 8i 9 times out of 10 over my lob wedge. It's much easier to hole it when its rolling.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I regularly chip with my 25* hybrid. The head shape is not too far from a chipper, but it does many other things. Chippers, like many people have already mentioned, are only good for one type of shot and take up space in your bag when you could just chip with a more versitale club (i.e. 7-iron).
Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

• 4 weeks later...

All I know is from discussions with other golfers, most consider chippers as a non-legitimate club, but most of them still make room in their bag for one.    I'm a newbie & love mine - use it from the short rough regularly.      I'm only guessing, but seems to me the better you get, the less you need a chipper ?    Curious who uses one ... thx.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Legitimate as in legal for play during a sanctioned event ? I doubt any of the major companies even make a club that is not legitimate in sanctioned events.

My buddy plays the clevland niblick chipper and he loves it.

I tried it once and it was ok. I can see the attraction to using it but I prefer to use my existing clubs for chipping. Typically a 8 iron for bump and run.

I say, if you like it play it. Who cares what others think. You are playing the game for your own enjoyment.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

Originally Posted by Camo

I say, if you like it play it. Who cares what others think. You are playing the game for your own enjoyment.

Camo is exactly right.  It's a legal club, and if you like it, use it.  I think you'll find over time that you will eventually not need it, since the loft probably matches a club in your bag and you'll learn to chip with that (among others).  Or you'll find you want to add a 15th club to the bag, and you'll learn the chipping with another club to make room for the new club without breaking the 14-club limit.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I suspect after you learn how to chip, you won't find any use for that chipper.

Double edge sword being of course that if you use crutches you won't learn how to walk.

I had a chipper at one time. It and the ball retriever have long since been removed from my bag. ha ha...

-Dan

They are legal and although I would cringe when I see one in use can't fault someone for trying to make the game easy. Some people don't practice or play often and a chipper might be a solution for them. I have friends that putt from the rough or from 20 yards away because they are trying to make the safest play and a chipper is no different. Use it until you can build some confidence with the wedges.

I've never seen one used, do people just drag it along the surface or actually take a chipping motion?

« Keith »

Originally Posted by wrx_junki

They are legal and although I would cringe when I see one in use can't fault someone for trying to make the game easy. Some people don't practice or play often and a chipper might be a solution for them. I have friends that putt from the rough or from 20 yards away because they are trying to make the safest play and a chipper is no different. Use it until you can build some confidence with the wedges.

I've never seen one used, do people just drag it along the surface or actually take a chipping motion?

It's used just like a putter - same motion.    The high angled face just pops the ball a few inches in the air to get it up off the rough ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!