IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Danattherock

I notice you don't have your "chipper" listed on your signature

Uhhhhh ... with all the low handicappers frequenting this establishment, I'm trying to establish some street cred

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't kid yourself man. Average golf score is around 100.

I bet the average forum member here shoots that number as well.

Even though folks tell you different of course.

-Dan

Of course they are legitimate, probably more so than the 64 degree wedges that some folks are so infatuated with lately. Good club for a beginner, or someone who only plays once in a while. As your game develops, you will find more options with multiple clubs in your short game. The bottom line is, use whatever works best for you,

:tmade: 09 Burner
:cobra: Speed LD F 3 wood
:cobra: Baffler 20 degree hybrid
:cobra: Baffler TWS 23 hy
:ping: G15 5-UW
:snake_eyes: 56 deg SW 
:snake_eyes: 60 - 12 wedge  
:scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by wrx_junki

I have friends that putt from the rough or from 20 yards away because they are trying to make the safest play and a chipper is no different. .

n?

Emulating Jack Nicklaus short game isn't the worst thing a newb could do.

20 yards is out there but I will putt from well off the green if the setup is there.

Jacks advise is:

Always use the putter, if you can't putt then chip , pitching is your last resort.

Try it some time on the practice green from 10 feet off the fringe. 3 balls each club and see your own results.

I fancy myself a damn fine technician with a lob wedge and even so , putter gets it closer more consistently....... Putt when you can,, even if makes your buddies cringe .lmao

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

The putt v chip thing is individual.  I've tried that putt 5 v chip 5 and my better shots were the 8 iron chip.  Having said that, if I'm close to the flag and only need to putt through 1-2 ft of fringe, I will use a putter in that case.  But with any good distance to the flag with 2ft of fringe, I will chip.

As for the "chipper" club.....I've never used one and someone above said that they are used with a putter stroke.....well I do "near" that with all my chips no matter what club I have in my hand, PW - 5i.  I even use a "near" putter stroke with pitch shots with all my wedges incuding LW.  It is very consistant.  The only thing I change with the chip v putter stroke is that with the chip or pitch I take the club back just slightly higher in the back swing.  This is to avoid catching grass in the backswing and downswing. Other then that it is the same.

Use it if you got one....its a totally legal club.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

I carry a Niblick, and I do pull it from the bag several times per round.  I could use my 8 iron, but I have gotten very used to the Niblick, and has the same black pearl color and grip as my 56 wedge, which I use all the time 75 yards and in, so the consistent look brings a confidence boost.  Plus (and probably the biggest reason), I really like if for a cruddy lie that could be a bit rocky underneath, I would rather beat up/replace my Niblick then have to replace an 8 iron out of my set.

Callaway Diablo 13* Driver
Mizuno MX-700 20* hybrid
Mizuno MX-100 4-GW
Cleveland CG14 56* and 42* Niblick
Ping C67 Putter

Modern-day chipper is similar to the jigger , or pitching mashie, from hickory-shafted days. The jigger was used for chipping and short approaches; some say it was an early wedge, although it often only had the loft of a 4i or 5i.

A guy who has a modern chipper told me it strokes more like a putter than an 8-iron. So, if you're a person who only carries a dozen clubs in the bag, a chipper may be useful and easy to use. Some of the women's sets contain chippers.

If you play a lot and are always undecided on what the best club No. 14 would be, you might consider the chipper a luxury. But, if you have room in your bag and find it useful, play it. Make the scoffers pay up at the end of the round.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by SwingIt

I carry a Niblick, and I do pull it from the bag several times per round.  I could use my 8 iron, but I have gotten very used to the Niblick, and has the same black pearl color and grip as my 56 wedge, which I use all the time 75 yards and in, so the consistent look brings a confidence boost.  Plus (and probably the biggest reason), I really like if for a cruddy lie that could be a bit rocky underneath, I would rather beat up/replace my Niblick then have to replace an 8 iron out of my set.

Isn't a Niblick more versatile than a regular chipper though?

Originally Posted by Gordon McTavish

Isn't a Niblick more versatile than a regular chipper though?

I can hit full swing shots with the Niblick, i guess you wouldn't do that with the putter style chippers out there.  But I still feel like the niblick is in, or pretty close to that chipper category.

Callaway Diablo 13* Driver
Mizuno MX-700 20* hybrid
Mizuno MX-100 4-GW
Cleveland CG14 56* and 42* Niblick
Ping C67 Putter

I think Chippers are win-win for everybody.  For example, if you are playing in the group behind me, which would you rather see (and have to wait for):

1. Me using a regular wedge- blade my chip across the green, make another chip to get it onto the green, and then two putt.
  2. Me with my Niblick, chip it relatively close to the pin and have a chance to get up and down.

Driver...Ping G10 10.5* V2 High Launch

4-wood......Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz 2012 17*
3-4 Hybrid.......Bobby Jones Player Series 21* and 25*
Irons.........Mizuno MX-200
Wedges....Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 52*, Ping Tour-W 56*, Ping Tour-S 60*....Putter-Ping Redwood Piper.....Ball-Srixon TriSpeed Tour

Originally Posted by wrx_junki

They are legal and although I would cringe when I see one in use can't fault someone for trying to make the game easy. Some people don't practice or play often and a chipper might be a solution for them. I have friends that putt from the rough or from 20 yards away because they are trying to make the safest play and a chipper is no different. Use it until you can build some confidence with the wedges.

I've never seen one used, do people just drag it along the surface or actually take a chipping motion?

My brother uses his putter like this... seems to work for him though...

On topic, I don't think that a chipper is a necessary piece of equipment... I really don't think that it is any easier to use and since chipping is all it's good for it's a waste of a club.  That being said, if you are one of the few that have one, and it works for you, then by all means keep using it.  You'll never see one in my bag though, that's for sure.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

• 1 year later...

I used to use my 7 iron exclusively around the green, say 20 yards to the hole. Was a great club for me. Then i ran into a chipper that was a 36 degree legal one sided chipper as someone has noted. Other than having to get used to the idea that it rolls as far, or more, than time and distance in the air it has worked out well. Have even used it in the sand trap which is a rare spot for me to be in (I just avoid them) and it picks up the ball with great ease and gets height immediately. Still use my PW from 70 yards out and up to that point where my chipper works best. I'm old, 50, and with 3 herniated discs and a blown out right knee that needs rebuilding I still play.

There is a 48 degree one out there I'm going to try. If it performs as well as the 36 degree one I may just change over to it and closet the 36 degree chipper. It says it'll stop on a dime. I gotta see this one in action!

Lots of opinions out there and that's what these forums are for but whatever makes your game better and allows you to score lower, assuming it's legal, is the way you should go. No one, not even a pro does everything the way people think they should and they are the pro's, no us. I've seen Jack Nicholas and many current playing pros use 5 iron around the green to chip and run, so there is a place for nearly everything.

Unless we have a pro lurking around these forums with nothing better to do then we're all basically weekend golfers and as Lee Trevino said it's unlikely if a person played with him that they'd shoot their listed handicap. Most don't really play by the rules to the letter because we don't know all the rules and we're out there for fun, I hope.

Doc

Till you try one you'll never know. First time I used one I used a medium force putting stroke and the ball seemed to jump off the ground at the point of impact, flew 5 or so feet above ground for some 15 yards and rolled another 15 yards. I was aiming at a putting green hole that was maybe 20 yards away. Takes just a slight touch to get it airborne and it rolls and rolls and rolls. That's why I'm going to look into a 46 degree chipper. It's said to stop on a dime. We'll see.

Doc

Originally Posted by hkphooey00

I think Chippers are win-win for everybody.  For example, if you are playing in the group behind me, which would you rather see (and have to wait for):

Me using a regular wedge- blade my chip across the green, make another chip to get it onto the green, and then two putt.

Me with my Niblick, chip it relatively close to the pin and have a chance to get up and down.

3.) Do either one, but do it quickly and move on.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 1 year later...

My wife's short game improved by a notch (a big one at that) when I bought her a complete golf set which came with a chipper.   All of sudden, she was hitting straight.  And over time, she got the distance right, too.  Now, she is deadly accurate with it.

I played around with it, too, and I can attest that the ball goes pretty straight without much effort.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My wife's short game improved by a notch (a big one at that) when I bought her a complete golf set which came with a chipper.   All of sudden, she was hitting straight.  And over time, she got the distance right, too.  Now, she is deadly accurate with it.

I had the same experience with my wife, although I wouldn't characterize her chipper as "deadly accurate."  My wife began golfing after she saw how much fun my daughter, Kelly, and I would have on the course. My wife took some lessons, but never had a lot of time to practice her short game, and consequently around the green had a tough time on the chip and pitch shots. I bought her a chipper, which all but eliminated the skulled or chili-dipped shot.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I had the same experience with my wife, although I wouldn't characterize her chipper as "deadly accurate."  My wife began golfing after she saw how much fun my daughter, Kelly, and I would have on the course. My wife took some lessons, but never had a lot of time to practice her short game, and consequently around the green had a tough time on the chip and pitch shots. I bought her a chipper, which all but eliminated the skulled or chili-dipped shot.

More power to you and your wife.  My wife's chipper gave her another reason not to practice :-) .

The only reason I don't have my own chipper is that I already have a good short game.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!