IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My dad also swears by his chipper. And I see him hole quite a few chips with it.

Personally, it does not fit my eye. I never carry 14 clubs (11-13) so it would fit in my bag, but I don't often use a 7-8 iron around the green anyway. IMHO a large part of golf really is about comfort and confidence so if it works for you then put the chipper in the bag! But I am counting your clubs

G10
SteelHead III
I3
Vockey
588 BC-2

I've got one and you guys can keep talking them down all you want. :)

Mine is a Dunlop job that I bought at a Wal-Mart about 15 years ago for less than $20. I can take a full swing with it from 120 or do whatever I want from there in.

Pluses: The construction is a combination of a wedge and a putter, and it has clear alignment tools on the top. Versatile. Easy to use. Confidence inspiring. Hits go straight. Darn near impossible to hit a hook or a slice with a full swing.

Minuses: The ball is going to roll regardless of how you hit it. Not possible to make the ball check up from most lies. I can't use mine out of a bunker very easily, but some people apparently can.

I'm going to be buying one of these shortly -- http://www.golfsmith.com/products/SE...ing_Wedge_Head -- and see if it's better or worse than the ol' Dunlop.

Jess

I don't want anyone to think, I'm downing them, I've just never experienced them, playing or even watching others use them. If they help shoot lower scores, then i support them. If i were that much of a purist i wouldn't use hybrids, but I do.

• 10 months later...
This is an older post I found in search, but maye worth re-visiting. I am always surprised by golfers who choose clubs based on macho behavior or tradition or looks or whatever. I would use a rock on the end of a stick if it were legal and lowered my score. It wasn't all that long ago that people were whining that big drivers were for cheaters. That ended pretty fast when the pros saw what they could do for their game.

Regarding chippers, they fill a niche that irons and wedges do not. For non-puttable but relatively short grass around the green, they are easier to use. Less likely to chunk, easier to aim, more consistent lift, more upright shaft, more adaptable to a pendulum putter stroke. If you have 14 clubs that you can't live without, don't consider a chipper. If you only use 12 or 13 clubs regularly, a chipper fills a specific niche that we all face several times a round.

I dont own one but i have tried one out out Dicks sporting goods. I was trying it out off the artifical rough they have alongside the putting area and was surprised at how well it chipped with it. I literally spent 45 minutes withthis club just holeing out chips of all lengths. I can see why people use the club. Hey whatever helps your game.

In my bag:
Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 10* N
Fairway wood: Big Bertha Diablo 15*N
Irons:Big Bertha 06' (3-PW)
Wedge: Sandwedge 56*Wedge: Lob 60*Putter: White Hot XG#1Ball: Big Bertha Diablo , HX Hot Bite, Warbird

Never have....never will.

There are too many loft/set-up combinations available within your current set to dedicate a slot to one stick/one loft/one purpose.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I am still a beginner and have a Cleveland Niblick which I find to be quite versatile and definitely not a “one purpose” club. I find it great for a variety of pitches and chips as well as full and half shots out to around 100 yards. I do realize that I can make these same shots with other clubs in my bag but I am more consistent and make better shots with the Niblick so that is why I play it. Eventually I may remove it, but for now I enjoy hitting it so much I don’t get that upset when I miss the green because I get to use the club.

Dymo2 str8-Fit 10.5 driver & Dymo2 3 wood
#3 & #4 Machspeed Hybrids
5-PW i701 irons
52 & 58 XFT Wedges
White Ice 2-Ball CS Putter One Vapor Sidekick push cartSonocaddie Auto Play GPS

A chipper to a wedge is kinda like a hybrid to long irons, they make things easier, a lot of people frown upon them and the better you get, the less likely you need one, or should I say, the higher handicap you have, the more you will benefit from one.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you saw my dads short game you would know why they are useful to some people. He is the worst person in the world around the green, sand iron in every situation which usually ends up thin and 20 yards through the green. The chipper is used like a putter so is much easier to hit correctly. I personally wouldn't use one but they do have their uses for some people

My dad is the same way it just gets frustrating to play with him because I try to help him but he does the exact same thing every time.

To answer the question if more people used chippers think about how much faster play would go. With chipper: 1 shot on the green 2 putts Without chipper: Blade it across green, get nervous about doing the same thing and then duff it, then try to hit the ball harder and blade it across the green, then maybe hit the ball on the green and finally 2 putts. Sounds to me like a real good reason to use a chipper.

I bought one at Academy Sports yesterday for $10! Been seeing them but just basically bought it to "see" what it was like. Played one round with it. Gonna play one or two more before I have an opinion.

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

• 4 months later...
Are you talking about a chipper?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yes, I confess I use a chipper. A Texan Classic chipper that sees as much action as my putter. Love it. Actually, I'm the only one in my foursome that uses such....someday, they will see benefits...
Chip way fellow chippers!

Swing Happy My Friends!

A 3 hybrid works also, as does a 5-wood if you don't carry a hybrid.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

When I'm on the fringe I use my putter, but I flip it around and hit it left handed. My accuracy left handed is great, but my speed is usually what's off. I've been doing it ever since I got my current putter and it's worked really well with little practice. Over time and with practice, I think I can perfect it.

Here's the putter:

I just hit it right in the middle and it pops up low and rolls just like a putt without having to deal with the fringe.

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

To answer the OP, no I don't. I've been using regular clubs to chip with for 35 years, not about to change now. It really isn't that difficult. I've chipped in about 20 eagles through the years (as well as many pars and birdies, of course), so I must be doing something right.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

never used one. i usually fly the ball to the hole with my 60*, even when its on the fringe. if i need it to run i'll just bump it with an 8 iron.

RBZ stage 2 driver & 3 wood

Original AP1 4-GW

Vokey 54.10 & 58.04

Scotty Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!