IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3728 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I see by your handicap that you are an extremely accomplished golfer. I on the other hand am a 27 handicapper who only started the game august 2009. The reasons I took up golf are at age 55 I need to learn a sport I can play in my later years and to get some low impact exercise. You see, 8 years of semi-pro football have taken their toll on my knees and ankles. When I played I was sometimes subjected to abuse from the other teams because of my size ( 5' 10" 175 lbs.). Those were usually some of the best games I played. My other fall/ winter sport is bowling. I show up at a tournament with 1 ball for strikes and 1 for spares, the snobs with a truckload of the latest and greatest stuff laugh. It's fun to take "their" money. My summer sport is stock car racing. I pull my rig into the pits and park next to a truck and trailer that's worth more than my whole racing program. The snobs who buy all the latest and greatest, come over to look at my home made suspension parts, body panels and stock block home built engine, and laugh. Now I have to keep 2 sets of front end parts in the trailer because most of the time someone wants to buy 1. NM Golf, you are a much better golfer than me so I can't hope to compete with you, but if some old guy shows up with a ball retriever,all his irons neatly covered, tells you about how they used to call rangefinders " hacker gear" then proceeds to take your money and knock the snob out of you, karma will be served. Even better would be if he needed a chip-in on 18 to shut you out he pulls out a $14.00 K-Mart chipper and drains it!!

The day someone with irons covers and a ball retriever tool beats me hell must have had a cold front come through.

Does your rangefinder fall within that classfication of hacker gear?

Umm not really sure when rangefinders were ever seen as hacker gear. Why would hackers need one, a hacker doesn't strike the ball well enough to hit it the same distance each time. Plus go to the practice round on any PGA Tour event and check out all the range finders. What you won't find though are..........iron covers, chippers, and ball retriever tools.

Spoken like a true golf elitist. Damn glad I don't play in your group. Don't know if I could take the loss of blood in such a cutthroat bunch.

Oh Fourputt, I have so missed arguing with you during my recent hiatus. I too am glad you are not in my weekly group. We are not cutthroat at all though, just good enough golfers to realize what is indeed a useful golf item as opposed to things that are not like golf ball retriever tools, iron covers, and chippers.

Listen there guys you can all cover your irons, use your chippers, and spend 10 minutes fishing golf balls out of every pond you walk by that is fine. BUT those items are hacker gear whether you like it or not.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Listen there guys you can all cover your irons, use your chippers, and spend 10 minutes fishing golf balls out of every pond you walk by that is fine.

Thanks for clearing that up for us. I've been waiting for someone to tell me what is and isn't ok for "real" golfers to use. Good thing, too, I was almost tempted to judge golf equipment on its merits for myself rather than worrying about what a bunch of self-important twits on the course would think of me if they saw it in my bag.

If the club improves your score, is allowed by the rules, and isn't holding you back from developing a skill that you personally want to spend the time developing, you should be using it. You'd be a fool to let any other criteria (aside from, e.g., cost) stand in the way.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

well put, zeg. not sure if anyone noticed, but I normally only carry 13 clubs, its what my particular game calls for. This normally allows me to slide my cut down 7i (chipper) in the bag when I want it, which is fairly often. Ive drained more fringe chips for bird than I care to keep up with with that club, and have saved myself from tight brush situations with a lofted punch with it as well. there are times in every round that we have to br creative, and when I need to be, that club comes in handy. there is no stigma tied to it, Ive had much better players than me ask to see it after I hole out a 2nd or 3rd time in a round with it.

If anyone chastising the use of a 'chipper' never finds themselves in either of the above situations, then kudos to your game, Im looking forward to seeing you on tour. if you DO in fact find yourself in those situations and choose not to use a chipper, good for you, Im glad you found a way to handle those shots with the clubs you carry. I would hope the sentiment would come back around when looking at my bag, because I gaurantee Ill only ever use what works, not what somebody is telling me is or is not acceptably chic on the course.

as for the op, I dont use one of the standard retail issue chippers, but I do use a modified club for a chipper. if you have the opportunity to throw one in your bag for a couple of rounds Id recommend it, as only you can decide what works with your style and feel and is best for your game. good luck!

What I play:

R7 Limited, UST V2
Burner 3W, Rifle ULF
Tour 3H-4H, Rifle ULF RAC MB 5-PW, Rifle ULF 54*, 58*, TP Smoke wedges Black Pearl Studio Select 1.5 ProV1 or TP Red LDP

I have always thought of them as a junior or women's crutch. They help around the green when they have no touch so they stay encouraged and keep playing. I have never seen a man with one.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

Thanks for clearing that up for us. I've been waiting for someone to tell me what is and isn't ok for "real" golfers to use. Good thing, too, I was almost tempted to judge golf equipment on its merits for myself rather than worrying about what a bunch of self-important twits on the course would think of me if they saw it in my bag.

Yes they are allowed by the rules of golf but have you ever noticed no good players use them? And by good players I mean the guys on TV or college golfers or even your club champion for that matter (if he is really a good player). Any real player with any skills can play any and all needed chip shots with the clubs that come in a normal set. A chipper is for someone without those skills, hence they are hacker gear. My suggestion to you is to practice the correct way to execute the short game as opposed to buying some ridiculous chipper club that further weakens your short game.

well put, zeg. not sure if anyone noticed, but I normally only carry 13 clubs, its what my particular game calls for. This normally allows me to slide my cut down 7i (chipper) in the bag when I want it, which is fairly often. Ive drained more fringe chips for bird than I care to keep up with with that club, and have saved myself from tight brush situations with a lofted punch with it as well. there are times in every round that we have to br creative, and when I need to be, that club comes in handy. there is no stigma tied to it, Ive had much better players than me ask to see it after I hole out a 2nd or 3rd time in a round with it.

Whats best for my game is to learn how to properly execute short game shots with clubs that are found in a normal set. I don't need some cut down 7 iron crutch, I do just fine with a normal 7 iron, or 8 iron or wedge for that matter. You have your panties in a bunch because a club you use was defined as hacker gear and you don't see yourself as a hacker.

I have always thought of them as a junior or women's crutch. They help around the green when they have no touch so they stay encouraged and keep playing. I have never seen a man with one.

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are!

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

The day someone with irons covers and a ball retriever tool beats me hell must have had a cold front come through.

I must be missing something. HOW does something that never touches a ball in play affect the skill level of a golfer? The iron cover is removed before the club is used (you DID know that?) and a retriever is only supposed to be used for getting an out of play ball for a drop. What would be fun would be to watch a "hacker" leave all his "hacker gear" in his car, the starter puts him with you ('cause now he looks as "cool" as you!) and turns your round into a scene from CADDY SHACK!! OR a hustler with all the latest in "hacker gear" takes you up on your generous offer to teach him " skins" and sends you home in your SHORTS!

Umm not really sure when rangefinders were ever seen as hacker gear. Why would hackers need one, a hacker doesn't strike the ball well enough to hit it the same distance each time. Plus go to the practice round on any PGA Tour event and check out all the range finders. What you won't find though are..........iron covers, chippers, and ball retriever tools.

My iron covers were a tip from a former touring pro! Not for on the course but for protecting my irons in transit. As far as retriever tools go , they are gaining favor with coaches and instructors who are tired of crawling after balls they can't reach with a shagger.

As for range finders, when they first came out they were called "gimmicks" ,the old word for "hacker gear".
Listen there guys you can all cover your irons, use your chippers, and spend 10 minutes fishing golf balls out of every pond you walk by that is fine. BUT those items are hacker gear whether you like it or not.

NM GOLF HAS SPOKEN!!!!!!!!! You don't need a retriever because you just walk out there and get your ball. Seriously , I find your condescending attitude quite offensive and I know for a fact if a potential new member of my club was treated the way I have seen you treat members of this forum, the offending member would be summoned to the presidents office for "a talk".

I must be missing something. HOW does something that never touches a ball in play affect the skill level of a golfer? The iron cover is removed before the club is used (you DID know that?) and a retriever is only supposed to be used for getting an out of play ball for a drop. What would be fun would be to watch a "hacker" leave all his "hacker gear" in his car, the starter puts him with you ('cause now he looks as "cool" as you!) and turns your round into a scene from CADDY SHACK!! OR a hustler with all the latest in "hacker gear" takes you up on your generous offer to teach him " skins" and sends you home in your SHORTS!

Am I missing something where did I say iron covers affect the way someone plays? The opposite is true in my opinion, I myself have never seen a single good player use iron covers. I play in several scratch events every year that are reserved for very good players. I have never seen a set of iron covers at a single one of these tournaments. Again if you feel they help your game by all means USE THEM! Why are you so bitter?

My iron covers were a tip from a former touring pro! Not for on the course but for protecting my irons in transit. As far as retriever tools go , they are gaining favor with coaches and instructors who are tired of crawling after balls they can't reach with a shagger. As for range finders, when they first came out they were called "gimmicks" ,the old word for "hacker gear".

I guess I don't travel enough for my clubs to get damaged in transit. As for the rest of your claims in this paragraph I am afraid I must calll bullshit. I have a real hard time seeing a bunch of golf coaches or instructors using ball retrievers. I know a lot a teaching pros none of them own a ball retriever. And laser range finders were never called gimmicks.

NM GOLF HAS SPOKEN!!!!!!!!! You don't need a retriever because you just walk out there and get your ball. Seriously , I find your condescending attitude quite offensive and I know for a fact if a potential new member of my club was treated the way I have seen you treat members of this forum, the offending member would be summoned to the presidents office for "a talk".

I haven't treated anyone poorly, you must have a complex. This is a forum, I stated my opinion that chippers are for hackers. The fact remains that they are for hackers. I happen to also believe that iron covers and ball retrievers are a waste of money and hacker gear too. Believe it or not none of my opinions are a personal attack on you or anyone else.

And if your so-called "club" would have a problem with a member having an opinion in an open forum then I probably wouldn't be a member there anyway.

• Administrator
Differences of opinion exist. Let's stop short (everyone) of calling each other names.

I don't care if you "attack" (gently) an opinion, but keep it to attacking the opinion and not the person with the opinion. And if someone does that, don't misread what they wrote as attacking YOU.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My friend uses/used (depends on how he feels) and he shoots in the low 8o's. Now I thought I'd try one, and - well - actually - I think it takes MORE skill to use the thing. Try as I might, I think I could chip/bump, whatever, with my standard clubs. The chippers just seem to roll out more, I can't find the "feel".

All said though, I have seen a use for it, and I may continue to use it. Golf is an evolving sport. Its difficult enough, I say whatever works.

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

• 2 weeks later...
Got a chipper as a present and couldn't get comfortable using it - reverted to using my 9i again. If its comfy then go for it

Playing: Wilson Deep Red Driver and Woods; Tour Edge Hybrid irons; Old 1970s Ping Putter (with rust to prove it).
Goal for the year: Golfing holidays in Spain.

Never had one in the bag and I never will.

I prefer using any number of clubs as the situation dictates.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

While a chipper can be useful to those who struggle with chipping, could it also not possibly prevent you from progressing as fast? Bad chipping is usually about trying to scoop the ball, letting the eyes off the ball too soon etc. To hit a good chip, you need a descending stroke on the ball. Exactly the same you need for a good full iron shot. With a chipper you got more forgiveness with the rounded sole, being able to swoop it into the ball, getting almost under it.

It doesn't damage your swing, but practicing chipping with irons is an excellent way to work on your ball striking. I have only seen one of these and the guy was using it mostly for fun.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Yes, my 9 iron. I remember a time when my dad used to carry a Ping Chipo - remember those things?

In a staff blue  Aerolite III

Razr Hawk 10.5* (BB 63 S)
Orig Steelhead 4W 16.8* (F)
Orig Steelhead 7W 20* (M-10)

JPX-800 Pro 4-pw (XP S300)

MP-T Blk Ni 51.06, MP-T Blk Ni 56.14, MP-T Blk Ni 58.10

Bettinardi BC-1 (34")

TM TP Black

I've never used a chipper and probably never will.

I don't see what's so hard about a set of decent wedges for various chips shot, with the pre-requisite of some commited practice and concentration.

The beauty of chipping is that it's an activity that can be practiced anywhere that has a decent surface and a little bit of room.

If someone is serious enough about their game to study the required technique, I don't see why they couldn't grab a couple of Vokeys (for example) and use them effectively.

But for once-a-month player, then whatever allows them to de-stress and enjoy a casual round of Golf, take what works and leave the rest.

The reason why most, if not all, those that struggle with chipping don't succeed is a lack of practice. A friend of mine who doesn't play golf sometimes tag along for fun. He can't swing, he can barely hit the ball. One day last summer, we were hanging out in another friends yard, swinging golf clubs, goofing around. The guy that can't play golf started chipping all over the place, continued doing so for a couple of hours. Later on the evening we took a round on the course. His swing was still atrocious, but his chipping was leaps and bounds better. Much better than two other friends that plays off a 35-36 handicap.

It only took this person without a single golf lesson a couple of hours to improve his chipping by dimensions. Imagine the effect this would have if a player with an established handicap had done the same thing, maybe even practiced it every day, or every other day, or every day he or she went to the course. Not the routine-ish fifteen minutes before a round, but really practicing it. Playing around with different lies, out of the rough, fairway, deep grass, different clubs etc. Hour after hour spent on the range, but little effort done to chipping. The irony of it all is that a good chip shot is a smaller version of a full swing. People usually make the same mistakes in the full swing as they do when chipping. Learning to hit down on the ball and hit the ball first is something a lot of the golfers could achieve by practicing chipping more.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• 5 months later...

So I was on a website and saw a chipper. It's not a wedge but some hybrid looking club that looks like a hybrid but made for close in to the green. Anyone use one?

It looks to me to be a gimic. Why not just hit a soft PW and have it roll to the hole?

I have used one about 30 yrs ago ..... it is nothing new !

It is about a putter with the loft of a iron 8 or 7 .... and it is like chipping using a puttstroke with an iron 8 or 7.... it can be good, but using a 8 or 7 iron (or a 9 or a PW) offers more variation in loft, to control the length of roll and playing from less optimum lies.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Note: This thread is 3728 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!