IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've heard other people say before that chippers were illegal but I'm not aware of anything in the rules that says so.

I'm pretty sure the 2-sided ones are illegal, as a club cannot be both left and right handed. I'm not very familiar with the equipment rules, but I'm pretty sure that's in there.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I was curious about their legality so I checked the rules. The two sided ones are indeed illegal as the rules state that the club must have only one striking face (Appendix II, Section 4(d)).
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

The old guy I bought my first set of clubs from threw one in for free. I used it for my first 2 or 3 rounds of golf I ever played, and liked it, but I must have left it laying greenside somewhere, because I haven't seen it since.

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

I was curious about their legality so I checked the rules. The two sided ones are indeed illegal as the rules state that the club must have only one striking face (Appendix II, Section 4(d)).

Does this rule apply to putters ? because in the last issue of golf weekly they said Notah Begay's sponsor was making him a 2 sider putter to use on the tour because he frequently putts from both sides of the ball depending on the putt (lie, etc).

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

I know a guy who has one. He uses it whether he has 40 feet or 4 feet of green to work with. Whether the chip is down hill or up hill. On a long uphill chip, it can work out. Other than that, he always manages to shoot it way past the hole. I wanna yell "GET A DAMN SAND WEDGE OR SOMETHING". Then he will make fun of me for taking it to seriously.

I retired my Cleveland Niblick after working on chipping with my 52* wedge and my 8 iron. I find I have a lot more feel with them than the Niblick and leave myself much better putts.

umm kinda a gimmick club my opinion but a 8/7 and any hybrid or a hard put hit ive noticed does the job just as good and better i say dont buy 1 keep the money or go spend it on a nice high loft hybrid. Ive used the I dont like them its like a putter and some wierd wedge met in a gas station's bath room and bascically....... had a bary white moment and than 6 month later a chipper came out of the mess and so yea thats what I think there just not worth it.

Does this rule apply to putters ? because in the last issue of golf weekly they said Notah Begay's sponsor was making him a 2 sider putter to use on the tour because he frequently putts from both sides of the ball depending on the putt (lie, etc).

From what I saw in the annotated rules, the "one striking face" rule does not apply to putters.

My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

• 3 weeks later...
I recently bought a Cleveland 42 Niblick and like it alot. I will still use my wedges if the green is above my ball or i only have a little room to land the ball, but if I have alot of green to take up i will use it and i REALLY like it. Just my 2cents

Golf Bag
Driver:
Woods:
Irons:: CG7 Black Pearls
Wedges CG14 52-56Hybrids:PutterBall E6

• 2 weeks later...
I always wonder what exactly those are for when I see them.
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

IMO i wouldnt get one.. i feel that they are band aids on a broken leg and do not serve to make you into a good chipper all of a sudden. Feel is still a requirement for good chips. Learning how to chip with a nice range of clubs (for instance 7i to SW) is much more valuable. It lets you play a wide variety of chips from around the green depending on the amount of green you have to work with. But thats me.

Putter first 
:titleist: newport 2 oil can
:titleist: 58* SM4
:titleist: 54* SM4
:titleist: 50* SM4
:titleist: 4-pw AP2 project X 6.0
:ping: i20 9.5 TFC Stiff

You better learn how to chip with a wedge (or a short iron at least). Read a good book or see a video to learn the technique (I recommend Stan Utley's book or Phil Mickelson's video). Once you have good fundamentals and practice regularly, it is very easy and much more flexible than a chipper.

Clubs in my bag: TaylorMade R7 SuperDeep TP 9.5° Fujikura Speeder 757 S | Titleist 906F2 13° AccuFLEX ICON FH X| Adams Idea Pro Black 18° Aldila NV Pro 105-S| Mizuno MP-57 3-7; MP-32 8-P PX6.0 | Mizuno MP T-10 54.09, 60.05
My bags and cart: Titleist Carry Bag | Mizuno Omega V + Clicgear 2.0

Waste of one of your 14 clubs. I agree with halcon's opinion about learning how to chip with your wedges. Those things are designed for bump and run type shots. They are just as easily performed by a PW or 8iron or even a lofted wedge. But, if you don't really care about the 14 club rule, why not, go for it.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

You better learn how to chip with a wedge (or a short iron at least). Read a good book or see a video to learn the technique (I recommend Stan Utley's book or Phil Mickelson's video). Once you have good fundamentals and practice regularly, it is very easy and much more flexible than a chipper.

Agreed. Learn to chip the real way. Chippers are for old people.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 3722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!