IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi.....

I was wondering if anyone has used a Chipper, and if so, are they any good?

I have been tempted to buy one, but my local Golf store didn't have any in so I couldn't try one out.

Any ideas?

Mike.

• Administrator
I think chippers are actually illegal now. No, wait, the two-faced ones are. The ones with a lofted surface on both sides.

I think a chipper is a waste of a golf club. Better to learn how to use clubs your other clubs - the ones that can also be used from 25-150 yards - to chip around the greens.

They sell for, what, $29 these days? At that price, well, perhaps it's worth an experiment. I plan to use my hybrid a bit more in chipping, so if you have a higher lofted hybrid perhaps you can make that your chipper and save the thirty bucks and keep an extra club in your bag that a chipper alone would have taken.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
im embarresed to ask this but, Is 36 the maximum handicap you can have?

No. We just pre-set it to that here on the forum. You can have a higher registered handicap. Most people who are just starting or who don't score well don't bother with handicaps, so it's rare to see a higher one... but they're out there.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Is there a maximum handicap you can have?

According to the USGA, it only says that

the maximum is "40+" .

i used to have one of the 2 faced chippers.tried it for about 2 months hated it sold it to my fathers bother-in-law because he was left handed and wanted to try 1.worst $25 i ever spent.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a cheap dynatour or something chipper single sided. I like it because it´s so easy and simple to use. You can´t duff and miss chips like you can with irons if you hit them wrong :).

Otherwise it do help us lazy people who really just go to the driving range to hit long shots because they are the most fun lol. You chip more like you put so it goes faster to set up as well :). But it´s not useful for long chips because of that because then you pull the ball to the right but if you are on the fringe or close to it or have a downhill slope to the green I find it handy :). Can´t hit with a 3-iron anyway so rather replace that with a chipper ;)

I use a 4 or 5 iron around the green.
Putting stroke.

I have zero confidence close in with a wedge. I can get it in the air ok but I have no idea where it will come down so I pretty much bump and run as much as possible.

I personally dont/havent used one, but my G-dad has and does use one. He is pretty snappy with it. I would try it out and if it help you around the green then why not until you get better with your wedges.

Titleist 905R 8.5 w/ UST V2 75 S
Taylor Made R7 TP TS 13 w/ Vista Pro 80 XS
Titleist 695cb 2i w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist 695.mb 3-PW w/ Rifle Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 54.14 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome 60.08 w/ Project X 6.5Titleist Cameron Studio Style...

• 1 year later...
Hi

I was just wondering how many of you out there use a chipper as part of your arsenal.
I tried out a friends this weekend and was very suprised at how effective and easy it was to use near the green.
As someone who definitely doesnt throw darts to the green from 150 yards, I am seriously thinking about picking up one of these as opposed to my skiddish 60 degree wedge play.
Anyone else out there have one - which brand - successes ????

Thanks

I've seen people using a high lofted hybrid club for chipping in certain situations and they seem to have good results. I haven't tried it (only carry one hybrid). It seems too long but I do like the idea of using a club that is usable for more than just chipping. So it might be worth experimenting with your hybrid if you have one.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

60*???? You shouldn't be using a 60-degree wedge for chipping in the first place.

Use a PW, or a 52* for chipping. Get the ball rolling as quickly as possible.

Those chippers are junk. Are they even legal?
Current bag:
Driver: TaylorMade 9.5* R-510
3-wood: TaylorMade 15* r7 TP
Hybrid: Nickent 3DX Ironwood
Irons: Hogan FTXWedges: 52* Hogan Riviera | 56* Cleveland TA 588 | 60* Hogan CarnoustiePutter: Cameron Detour 2Ball:NXT

Hi

I'll use everything from 6 iron to PW to chip...though predominatly the PW and 8 iron...you shouldn't be using an L wedge to chip...

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

Are you saying you hit a 60* wedge 150 yds?

don't know if you're joking (in reference to that guy who claimed he had had a 200 yard 8 iron), or if you just didn't read his post properly.

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

Note: This thread is 3720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!