IGNORED

Chippers and Putting Wedges

mikalee
Note: This thread is 3727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I'm on the fringe I use my putter, but I flip it around and hit it left handed. My accuracy left handed is great, but my speed is usually what's off. I've been doing it ever since I got my current putter and it's worked really well with little practice. Over time and with practice, I think I can perfect it.

Ill do the same thing, but with the toe of the putter. Nice the be able to change how far I want to carry it, but I suppose you can do that with the back of a putter too.

In The Bag

Titleist 905T 9.5°
Nike Sumo2 15°
Nike Sumo2 19°Nike Forged Irons - 3-PW Titleist Bob Vokey Spin Milled 56°10°Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2

I dont currently used one, but Ive used them in the past. Personally, I dont see the sense in wasting a spot in my bag for a club that is a 1 trick poney which I can hit the same shot simply by taking an 8-iron and using a putting stroke.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

No, I don't use a chipper. I use my 4H as a "Texas wedge" for low running chips. I've learned good distance control with it and find it particularly useful for 10-20 yard shots to elevated greens (as long as the ground isn't wet and no hazard between me and the pin)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I think most chippers are in the same loft as a 7 or 8 iron and we already have those in the bag. My wife uses a Odyssey chipper and loves it but I would never have the open spot in bag to try one. I use several clubs for chipping depending how far off the green I am. If I'm only off a couple of feet, and have a long way across the green to the hole, I often use my 3 hybrid to bump and run. Anything farther out I just use something with more loft, be it 7, 8, 9 iron or a wedge.

Nope - I use my 60* around the greens, love it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I had one of those chippers once, just didnt use it much, I mostly use a pw for everything inside of 100 yards unless i have to hit a low punch or something, then maybe an 8 or 7 iron, even a 6 iron sometimes if its a long enough shot. My 56 deg sand wedge mostly gets used only from the bunker. If im close to the green most of the time ill try to putt unless the rough is so thick you cant roll the ball through it, i just feel more confident in using the putter. I think its easier to roll the ball to the hole rather than try to fly it there and land it and thats what most pros will tell you as well.

In my bag
Driver-top flite cannon 460 cc 10.5 deg, reg flex
3 Wood-ACUITY GOLF RCX 14°
3h-warrior golf tcp 20°
4h-warrior golf tcp 23°5h-warrior golf tcp 26° 6-pw-AFFINITY / ORLIMAR HT2 SERIES irons steel shafts regular flex56° sw-tour seriesram puttergolf balls-intech beta ti

I guess if it works for you, use it....

but do you ever see any pro's using one? I'm sure it would be handy for me, but not enough to justify removing any other club from the bag.

I got a chipper when I first started playing the game. Took about a year for me to find that an 8 iron works just as well to chip/bump it off the fringe. I just choke way down and use a putting stroke. Otherwise, if I'm close and feel confident I can get under the ball, I flop it with my 60*

To each their own, though.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

The thing about a chipper that makes it easier to use for chipping than an iron is the sole. It has a rounded sole, much like a hybrid, so it doesnt dig into the turf like an iron can, but it has a really short shaft on it (almost the same length as a putter), so it makes chipping a lot easier.
I dont personally use one, but I can see why some people do.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I have never used a chipper and most of them are illegal under rule. I use my 5 wood 5i-6i-7i-8i-9i- and a PW for bump and runs depending on the green, how much to run to the cup and weather. I dont use my 60 degree unless im atleast 20 yards off the green.

I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.
Whats in my Walter Hagen stand bag.

Driver: VR Pro 9.5 Stiff

5 wood:SQ Stiff

3 Iron Hybrid:SQ Stiff Aldila Proto Vs 95-S

4-PW:VR Split Cavity Irons

SW:VR Black Satin 56

60:  CG 12

Ball:

I have never used a chipper and most of them are illegal under rule. I use my 5 wood 5i-6i-7i-8i-9i- and a PW for bump and runs depending on the green, how much to run to the cup and weather. I dont use my 60 degree unless im atleast 20 yards off the green.

Not true. They are only nonconforming if they have 2 hitting faces (i.e. for both right and left handed play)

and more than a 10° loft angle. Otherwise they are just as legal as any iron.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

For fringe shots, I use a 4i and can usually get it pretty close, sometimes in, but this is rare. For anything outside the fringe and within 25 yds, I use my 60*.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

It is generally a club that helps beginners enjoy their first rounds on the course. Once you learn the very basics of a chipping stroke, the chipper becomes obsolete, mainly for its limited range of strokes, whereas the same chip can be done with any other club with varying flight and roll results.

Please don´t swing while I´m talking !!

It is generally a club that helps beginners enjoy their first rounds on the course. Once you learn the very basics of a chipping stroke, the chipper becomes obsolete, mainly for its limited range of strokes, whereas the same chip can be done with any other club with varying flight and roll results.

I learned the very basics of the chipping stroke on day one. Like any stroke, my first few chips weren't so hot, but a chipper always reminded me of a bike with training wheels.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
I learned the very basics of the chipping stroke on day one. Like any stroke, my first few chips weren't so hot, but a chipper always reminded me of a bike with training wheels.

I think we have to be careful there. If a chipping wedge helps make the game easier for someone and they have room in the bag to use it, great. Good for them. No need to call it "training wheels" as if they're teeing it up from everywhere on the course or capping their score at triple bogey.

If we were allowed 15 clubs even I might add a chipping wedge. Why not? They're easier to use because they're simpler. I might never use the thing - I barely use my 14th club as it is (lob wedge) - but I might carry one around on the odd chance I come across a shot where it'd be handy. Heck, a bump and run from a really thin but soggy lie would be a great situation for a chipper. So if some guy out there has 12 or 13 clubs and considers that "complete," then I fully support adding a chipping wedge if it makes the game easier or more enjoyable for him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have never used one but what works for you is great. If you can get it close consistantly with that, great. I just have never seen one left-handed. I think the length would make it much easier to control distance than say a 7 iron. To me the bump and run is hard to judge well since I don't play that much.

Brian

Note: This thread is 3727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!