IGNORED

Officially became an old man golfer!

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 4962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Question for OP, what kind of back pain is it? I'm starting to get pretty sore in the lower back but if I do some stretching the next day it seems to get better.

I had hurt it pretty bad in the gym one time and took forever to be able to walk with out pain. I get lower back pain and it gets stiff; I don't get that when I use my cart.

I was really kidding when I felt shame, I just think the idea of carrying seems naustalgic with the game of golf and I thought I would be able to carry until I die. I honestly don't mind using a push cart, and the rest of the group is starting to see pros behind it. Being an athlete (I play volleyball, basketball in the offseason) I don't like the idea my body not being able to put up with it.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

New three-wheel carts are a whole lot better than the two-wheel carts that got started in the 1940s (??) and didn't get any noticeable improvements for the next fifty years. Three-wheels, for one thing, don't tip over every other hole.

Also, I keep hearing that pushing is less demanding physically than pulling, so another plus for the three-wheels.

I can walk nine holes and carry my bag on a peaceful day. But if the course has a couple of quarter-mile dead spaces between green and next tee, the elecric cart people will run you into the ground.

And if you're walking-carrying or walking with push cart, likely you're getting a better feel of what the turf is like that day. So don't feel old - you're leading the way for a trans-generational social movement!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 and have used a push cart for 4+ years. Its worth it definately. I always carried in Highschool and never thought I needed a push cart and figured they were a waste of money. Boy was I wrong. A nice push cart makes the round much more enjoyable. My shirt doesnt get all messed up and scrunched into my armpits, If its raining its a million times better, letting the cart go down a hill and just walking to it.....its awesome.

Oh and never worrying about dropping your towel and leaving it behind.

Push carts also allow you to buy better bags for your money. Expensive stand bags can be like $180 and are nothing compared to an expensive tour bag or cart bag counterpart.

Yea, I feel the same way. I'm 46 years and been carrying since I started playing 35 years ago. I lift weights and run 3 days a week apiece, so I couldn't in good conscience not carry my bag; it's additional exercise on the one day I can't. I've never had a single physical problem related to carrying. I hate it when people intimate it's an ego thing for those who carry.

Amen.

I hate riding. I lose more balls when I ride. Much easier to just walk directly where your shot went. Pluse if I change my mind on a club, I never walk back to the cart to make the switch (don't want to slow play). Carrying gets annoying too, but it always appeared to me it'd be worse lugging that push/pull cart. I'll have to give it a shot.

I actually ride in a cart most of the time because all kinds of older injuries. Ankle, knees, back, shoulder(all baseball related). I can walk about 9 holes and by the time i'm heading to the tenth, I feel like I've been hit by a car. Everything hurts. I can swing a golf club and enjoy the game without any pain so long as I ride. I've wanted to try a push cart to see if that made it any easier on my body.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I walked a few times this year and one time I forgot to empty all the extra crap in my bag, that was a bear of a round and realized I can not do it every time. Well I bought the microcart and although it makes me feel kinda less masculine like I am pushing a shopping cart, I will stick with it for multiple reasons. Next year I am joining my CC and want to play more times and less holes and do not want to pay for a cart every time (read cheap), secondly I am getting old and have had back problems and come 16th hole by back is tired, not really hurting but tired from carrying the bag, and lastly riding in a cart makes me feel lazy. Old or not I still work out 3-4 times weekly and am in good shape so I feel silly riding to my golf ball every time I play. I will still do a cart at times, we have local specials at a really nice course for 30 bux including cart and I will take advantage of the ride ;).

One more thing, I play evenings and will not have to return early to the club house to drop off a cart so I can play until the moose and bears chase me off.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

You want to look old? Buy a chest putter like I did. Now you look old. (But it works.)

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

How is your personal experience objective? It has only convinced you that YOU play better pushing a cart than carrying. You don't kow all the habits and motivations of others who carry (or push), so you can't with any degree of certainty judge whether they'd play better or not. It's only your subjective opinion.

reading comprehension homes. i said it was "the objective" to play better. and there is research that proves that pushing a cart saves strokes when compared to carrying.

Colin P.

reading comprehension homes. i said it was "the objective" to play better.

My statement stands. You said you were convinced that people will play better using a push cart rather than carrying based on your experience; that is simply your opinion. You can't act like people aren't in the know if they feel otherwise.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

I actually ride in a cart most of the time because all kinds of older injuries. Ankle, knees, back, shoulder(all baseball related). I can walk about 9 holes and by the time i'm heading to the tenth, I feel like I've been hit by a car. Everything hurts. I can swing a golf club and enjoy the game without any pain so long as I ride. I've wanted to try a push cart to see if that made it any easier on my body. Paradox

This is exactly my problem. I had ankylosing spondilitis (arthritus in the spine) and can't carry anymore and can't walk more then 9 holes without extreme lower back pain. So I ride 18 also. And I can't walk 9 if it's alot of uphill walking. I love to walk when I can. Another problem with walking is I can't walk at 90 mph like some of the young guys and if paired with someone on a cart I feel compelled to keep up with them. That hurts.

WBL

What's In the Bag
Callaway FTiq Tour i-mix 9.5º with stiff Mitsubishi Rayon Javlnfx 6
Cobra F-Speed LD 3-wood 15.5º with 43" YS Tour AD regCobra Baffler DWS 20º & 23º with Aldila VS Proto HL regPing S59 3-PW with Nippon PRO 950GH stiffTitleist Vokey Spin Milled 56º wedgeInazone B...

My statement stands. You said you were convinced that people will play better using a push cart rather than carrying based on your experience; that is simply your opinion. You can't act like people aren't in the know if they feel otherwise.

i CAN act like people arent in the know if they feel otherwise, when it goes against the research. i dont believe there are any studies showing lower scores when carrying vs pushing. you are welcome to try and find it tho.

i said, in the very same sentence you are referencing, that the articles/research i have read have convinced me as well. if youre going to argue with research, then whatever. i have nothing else to say.

Colin P.

I'm 35. I walk 9 holes darn near every day during the week. Carrying my bag. I am holding out to get the Sun Mountain Micro Cart for Christmas. I've had 2 knee operations and now the other knee is having issues. So I'll take all the help lugging around clubs I can get. Since I play an executive course every day I take everything above my 7 iron out except the driver.. That definately helped save some weight.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

Note: This thread is 4962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!