IGNORED

19º Hybrid or 5 wood

ET-Taylor
Note: This thread is 4946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've experimented with a 3 hybrid but my 5 wood (Titleist 904f) never gets kicked out of the bag. I'm a relatively short knocker but get 190 yards off the tee with 5 wood on narrow or short par 4's and can hit it with nice trajectory off the deck.

My bag consists of: Driver, 3W, 5W, 4Hybrid.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

I am similar handicap to the OP. I have just decided to pull the 19* hybrid from the bag and add a 5W.

The 19* just always seemed to be little too much temptation to try and manufacture something from a less than ideal lie when the best thing would be to take my lumps and play a safer/recovery shot. The 5w seems to be a more straighforward longer club. I know my distance, I know I need a good lie and I can decide accordingly from there if I should lay up or have a lash at it.

How do you hit your current hybrid? Why did you hate the burner? What kind of shot shape are you looking for out a 2/3h vs 5wd? You say the stiff isn't for you, do you need reg flex or something stiffer? Too many variables.

A 19* hy will be more versatile generally as a fw wd is meant to skim the surface to get the ball up. Most hybrids respond to a sweep or a dig. Shorter shaft=better contact too.

Only drawback is at that length i find a lot of hys like to turn over pretty hard if you're a little off.

My two favorite hybrids so far both had no offset, one had an S300 shaft & the other an s flex NV. If they drew it was gentle, & i could even fade them some days.

Up to you. Figure out how many times a round you actually need one or the other. Then try models out.

Im new to golf still ( 6-7 months now) my handicap is 30.... i take lessons once a week and try to play 18 holes -27 holes per weekend.

The last tournament i played in-- i used the 3h for all my par 4/5 tee shots and #2/#3 shots on those long holes. Really helped...

I love the 3h and gives me lots of confidence....... probably hitting it around 180 yds on average. On the average of 10 shots, i bet 7-8 are solid shots--with only 1-2 going right..but very manageable.

This morning i tried the 5 w to see the difference vs 3h. Of my 10 shots on average i probably hit 4 ok, 4 decent, 2 bad. I think i had about 20 yards further on the solid hits... most were about the same...but my direction was all over the place. Im going to continue to practice with the club ....

I have a tournament this weekend-- and im not sure ill bust out the 5w yet.... probably stay with the solid 3h play for now.
Eventually i want to get comfortable with the 5w and use that practice/confidence to then work on the 3 wood/driver. ( too many slices..)

adding a SW is dumb?

thats a good one how about try hitting 360 to 400 yard par 4s in two and you might be closer

How do you hit your current hybrid? Why did you hate the burner? What kind of shot shape are you looking for out a 2/3h vs 5wd? You say the stiff isn't for you, do you need reg flex or something stiffer? Too many variables.

i dont hit my hybrid great the burner kept going Left. and if im trying to hit a green from quite far back i try to land it high and soft. i need a Regular and wnat to hit a slight fade so the ball wont roll as far but i would also like to hit a draw if i need to.

At the end of the day you go with the club that you can hit the best. Many of the folks on here rave about hybrids and they obviously can hit them well but there are a few of us out there who can't hit one worth a damn and can hit a fairway wood much better. I'm one of those folks and I suspect you are another. Go with the 5 wood.
My Implements of Destruction (carried in a Hoofer Lite bag):

DRIVER: Big Bertha Diablo 10 degree draw, Aldila regular flex
FAIRWAY WOODS: G2 14 degree 3 wood & 17 degree 5 wood
IRONS: S59 3-PWWEDGES: M/B 54, 58, & 60 degree PUTTER: I Series Anser 4 (or G5i Anser, Anser 2F, or original...

I play a 5W. I cannot hit a hybrid to save my life. My 3W and 5W?...love them.

nike.gifTour
ping.gifG10 Driver 9*
ping.gifG10 3Wood 15.5*ping.gifG10 5Wood 18.5*ping.gifG10 Irons 4- PWping.gifTour Wedges 50*, 56*, 60*odyssey.gifPutter 33" Sabertoothbridgestone.gifBall E6

Note: This thread is 4946 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!