IGNORED

How often do you see video recorders on the practice range?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 4948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Never seen anyone else with one and admit I still feel a bit of a tit using mine. Tend to go to the range either early or late if I want to get some video.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would be worthless for most people without some basic commentary/analysis included since they wouldn't know what they were looking at or looking for so far as self analysis of a swing video is concerned. And the people would most likely know that and not pay for it.

I agree, but you have to start somewhere. It's so easy to bring up a video of a PGA player on the interwebs and compare and contrast your swing. Then you start to see what the elements of a good swing consists of. Even if you don't know much, you can see impact, the extension after impact, the swing plane from the down the line view.

One of the reasons I bought up this thread is when I first started video taping myself, not many people were, so I thought, you know, eventually more and more people are going to do this and you're not going to look like a dork anymore, but this is not the case so far.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Would be worthless for most people without some basic commentary/analysis included since they wouldn't know what they were looking at or looking for so far as self analysis of a swing video is concerned. And the people would most likely know that and not pay for it.

Agreed. Most people have no idea what to look for even if they see a video of their swing.

I visit the range probably 1-2 times per week. I rarely see anyone filming. I've been taking video of myself pretty consistently for about three years now. I love it. I still do struggle sometimes with what I'm looking at but I enjoy it.

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

• Administrator
I have never seen someone besides myself use a camera at the range. It's too bad because a LOT of people I see at the range need to see what their swing looks like as it would be a very hubling experience for them. Secondly, as mentioned many times on the forum, feel isn't real and videotaping your swing will definitely let you know how true that statement is.

I'm successful over 50% of the time at getting a lesson when I simply offer to record someone's swing and let them take a look at it on the computer. Most people don't realize how bad their swing is and, at the same time, how easy it is to make a relatively simple change or two to get to where they're making some big improvements.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've seen a pro film someone once, other than that, nobody.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Yes, I am feeling kind of exposed with my fat tripod and the little Casio cam screwed onto it.

It is often hard to get a FO video, because the range is completely filled. I rarely see other cams at evenings. The range has its own video system which can only be used with a pro...

I'm successful over 50% of the time at getting a lesson when I simply offer to record someone's swing and let them take a look at it on the computer. Most people don't realize how bad their swing is and, at the same time, how easy it is to make a relatively simple change or two to get to where they're making some big improvements.

Ha! True. I find a lot of people who critique swings have never seen their own. There's also the 20 handicap range rat who comes over and tries to give me advice because he hears my reaction after a few shots. I have an audible reaction to even a small mishit, so a great many people assume I'm hitting it badly when I'm not flushing it. I've had more than one person come up and tell me to "release the club", "hit down on the ball," swing easy," and all that crap. The funny part is, when I hit another, make another loud sigh, and drop my head in disgust, it's always the same reaction, "what's wrong with that?" These advice guys are so bad they consider any shot that gets off the ground and doesn't slice too badly a "good" shot.

Seeing your own swing is very humbling. Not every good swing looks good, and not every bad swing looks bad. As has been pointed out a thousand times, any fool watching Furyk swing would assume he was a hacker, but he's obviously not. When I watch and analyze my own swing, I make sure to understand what to look for, not what looks "right." Vijay Singh said something roughly along the same lines. Flipping, bad plane, too much wrist and arms; all things to look for. Whether or not it looks "pretty" is inconsequential. I don't want a pretty swing, I want an effective one.

I've never seen anyone do it at any range I've been to. I've been to the driving ranges of nicer and cheaper courses, with just a few or even a couple dozen people hitting balls, and never once seen someone using a camera.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I've had people say to me your release yada yada yada.

It's too fast to see - you can't see a release with the naked eye - at least I and alot of people I know can't. You can tell by ball flight, finish position, sound, etc..., but it irks me when people get truthy like that.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I use my Iphone about once a week, but I am a target specific practicer meaning I have one goal in mind and spend a whole bucket working on that objective.

I don't think I've ever had anyone wander over to offer a tip except for my Pro or his dad that has been a Card Holding Pro since 1966. But guys ask me questions all the time. My general answer is "Well, I just started in March, so I'm pretty much a rookie, But Lynn and his dad are right over there, they'd love to give a quick look or a lesson."

They usually just walk away.....

I've never seen anyone at a range with a video camera in my year and a half of golfing...

Career Bests:

9 Holes--37 @ The Fairways at Arrowhead-Front(+2)

18 Holes--80 @ Carroll Meadows Golf Course(+9)

Home Course:

1) The Fairways at Arrowhead

2) Mayfair Country Club

I tape my swing about every other week or so, just depends on what I'm working on at the moment.
There are at least 2 regulars at my range that tape every swing they make every time and they are far better than me. What gets me is that we have 2 teaching pros and neither of them even offer video recording. I thought that was SOP during a lesson.

David

I own a sony bloggie 1080p camera, and use it as often as I can in recording my swing. I'm the only one that ever does record at the range.

"drive for show, putt for dough"

I tape my swing every 2 to 3 sessions at the driving range. I use a Kodak Playsport and tripod. The camera works great and is waterproof so if there's no worries if it's raining. The Kodak has selectable (including very slow) playback speeds so you can look at specific points during your swing. I've never seen anyone else use a camera. As a beginner, I have always considered it odd given how inexpensive the equipment is and how ridiculously hard this game is.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Pretty much the only time I see someone recording their swing is when I'm doing it to myself.

Driver: 4DX SuperMag 10.5º
Fairway Wood: 4DX 3-Wood
Hybrids: 5DX 3, 4
Irons: 4DX Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Arc 52º, 54º, VR 58ºPutter(s): SeeMore FGP OriginalBag: Org.14 Xtreme

Nobody notices when I film my swing because I remove the middle wood and put the camera and little tripod on my bag. I pick a remote stall and can to the FO shots as well. I can't say for sure nobody notices, but nobody has ever commented or offered me advice. I might not have Luke Donald's swing, but it's kind of obvious I have an idea what I'm doing.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

As the above poster has noted, A camera such as a Casio ZX1 (60 fps 1080p recording) can be picked up for next to nothing on ebay or similar, and attached to your golf bag via the use of a standard gorilla stand, and happens to be the perfect height! No one notices it either... only downside is it can be a bit difficult to see in a dark range, outdoor ranges work best!

Cobra - Speed Pro 8.5º X-Flex, Speed Pro 13º S-Flex | Mizuno - MP CLK 20º Hybrid, MP-67 DG S300 4-PW | Cleveland - CG10 52º,56º, 60º | Rife - Antigua Island 34"

Note: This thread is 4948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!