IGNORED

anyone have experience with an xx shaft?

sblack5
Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Probably a silly question but I was wondering if anyone on the board has experience with an xx stiff shaft (usually rated for swing speeds above 120 mph). If you do have experience, please post what shaft you used and what you thought.

Driver: Adams 9064ld 6.5* w/ Oban Devotion 7 .... 281 cpm at 44"
Fairway Wood: Tour Edge xcg 4 3 wood w/ rapport blue velvet shaft

hybrid: Tour Edge Exotics cg4 17* 2 hybrid
Irons: Miura series 1957 "baby blades" w/ KBS tour shafts
Wedges: Miura: 52* wedge, 56* K grind, 59* Y grind
Putter: taylormade white smoke 35"

xx-stiff? No, but I have played x100 hardstepped 2x in my irons and x-stiff tipped about 3/8" in my woods. The x100's in my irons were great. They were like point and shoot. Very straight and very low trajectory. I really had to get after them though, x100's hardstepped 2x was honestly too much stiffness for my game. If my swing was off just a little, it showed up right away and wasn't pretty. I was a young kid though, I thought I needed shafts that stiff, at least that's what the guy at the golf shop said (I learned quickly to stop listening to those guys). The x-stiff shafts in my woods were alright too. Lots of control but the feel was off, they were boardy so I went to a softer shaft in those as well.

The truth of the matter is shafts that stiff really don't fit my swing. I have a faster swing speed (roughly 116mph) but I have smooth transition so I really fight to load shafts that stiff. How is your swing speed and transition? Do you need a shaft that stiff?

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

nope, i only go x-stiff, but the shaft i use is a 77gram x-stiff with a very low torque. The sucker is a beast.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my average swing speed is near or above the 130mph mark. I called UST yesterday and when I told them my situation the guy suggested the axis tour green in an xx flex. My transition is fine. My swing is very long and smooth. I'm not jerky and I don't try to murder it on every swing. I have also talked to harrison about a couple of shafts that they offer, and I'm going to call acccuflex today. they both offer long drive shafts that are strong enough for my swing speed that I could just cut down to length. They guy at UST said that while the 96 gram v2 is a little beefier than my current setup it still probably won't be what I need. I'm going to do some more work on the launch monitor this weekend and make sure that I have things straight before this next week when I get a new shaft.

my average swing speed is near or above the 130mph mark. I called UST yesterday and when I told them my situation the guy suggested the axis tour green in an xx flex. My transition is fine. My swing is very long and smooth. I'm not jerky and I don't try to murder it on every swing. I have also talked to harrison about a couple of shafts that they offer, and I'm going to call acccuflex today. they both offer long drive shafts that are strong enough for my swing speed that I could just cut down to length. They guy at UST said that while the 96 gram v2 is a little beefier than my current setup it still probably won't be what I need. I'm going to do some more work on the launch monitor this weekend and make sure that I have things straight before this next week when I get a new shaft.

130mph???????????????? jesus christ. may i ask for a video recording of your swing? i just wanna see what 130mph swing looks like...

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Well Stiffness might lower the trajectory, but you can get a stiffer shaft and then get a different kick point and get a bit higher trajectory. Its great how you can mess around with the driver shaft and really dial in a driver. Really the key to a driver is the golf shaft.

I like x-stiff with low torque because it takes away lot of the ball spraying away to much. If i had a slight miss then the ball would travel a bit more right on me with a stiff or regular shaft. The x-stiff helped take away the deflection of the club head.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Look at House of Forged. They make Jamie Sadlowski's shafts. They offer their long drive shafts in X, XX, and XXX. They'll run you $200-$300 though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

i tried the fujikura X flex speeder and i round it too rigid
my swing speed is 115.

Acushnet guy told me X flex only for above 120...

i tried to get my swing fast by being silly and stupid and could only manage 117 And i am an animal...
like to see this 130 mph...

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

you can't avg. 130 mph and not ''try to murder it on every swing.'' either you have at once one of the fastest and smoothest swings on earth, or your numbers are a bit off. so when you really swing out of your shoes, you must be getting somewhere around 145, i reckon?

yeah, error with machine.
its impossible. not even i can manage 120.

always give way to the Greenskeeper!!

in my bag:
whatever clubs i find left behind on the course... But the Ping Anser will never be beaten!!

BALL: only get off tractor for PRO v1's..... Now, which way to Q School???

Wow please can we see a vid of the swing! That is faster than most tour players, yeh?
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

I'm spending some time on a launch monitor this weekend and probably at the range, and course. I'll see if I can get a video together from behind and down the line. My speed comes from my flexibility and lankiness. I'm 6'4" 190lbs., my arms are 3-4" longer than they should be for my height, the shaft in my driver is 46" long, and I get my shoulders well past the 130 degree mark.

Last weekend I shot on an outdoor launch monitor. 65 shots with the driver and my ballspeed AVERAGED out to 191mph. Low at 186mph and high mark (8 shots) at 197 mph with a smash factor of 1.45 that's 131.xxx mph of clubhead speed.

if the video doesn't happen this weekend, I will definitely try to make it happen this next week. still need a new shaft though.

I'm spending some time on a launch monitor this weekend and probably at the range, and course. I'll see if I can get a video together from behind and down the line. My speed comes from my flexibility and lankiness. I'm 6'4" 190lbs., my arms are 3-4" longer than they should be for my height, the shaft in my driver is 46" long, and I get my shoulders well past the 130 degree mark.

just out of curiosity...wat kinda distance are you getting with that swing speed and 1.45 smash factor? roughly around 350-370 total yards with roll on average?

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I usually can carry anywhere from 291 to 314 with a roll out between 310ish to 340ish at the longest. Problem is that at a lot of the courses I play the fairway runs out due to a dogleg, water, links style fairways, etc.. If I dont have room to swing freely, I'm still usually able to keep it between 260-285. I was at the range this morning with a 10-15 mph headwind and still averaged 280 after the roll out.

My irons are lots of fun to. 150yds and 200yds are the approach distances I try to play to. I can hit the green and hold it from 150 - 155 with a PW 10 out of ten times. I can usually hold a green from 200 yds for a GIR 8 out of ten times with a 7 iron (197 to 208 yd club). My ballspeed with a 7 iron is usually anywhere from 128 to 131 mph

Well I usually carry it anywhere from 314 to 337 with roll out and between 340ish to 370ish at the longest. My problem is that my courses don't have fairway. If I"m not able to swing freely I can keep it between 291 and 314. At the range this morning I created a 10-15 mph headwind with my swing and still averaged 310 after roll out.

My irons are more fun to hit. 200 yards and 250 yards are the approach distances I try to play to. (I like being able to hit a smooth 8 iron in, it's my control club) I can hit the green and hold it from 200 with an 8 iron 12 out of 10 times. I can usually hold a green from 250 with a 6 iron 10 out of 10 times(245-252 yd club). My ballspeed with a six iron is usually anywhere from 151 to 154 mph.

I'm able to do this because I"m shorter 5 8', my arms a couple inches shorter then they should be *for my height* and I'm overweight.
  • Upvote 1

Well I usually carry it anywhere from 314 to 337 with roll out and between 340ish to 370ish at the longest. My problem is that my courses don't have fairway. If I"m not able to swing freely I can keep it between 291 and 314. At the range this morning I created a 10-15 mph headwind with my swing and still averaged 310 after roll out.

hahahahahahah!!!!!

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!