IGNORED

Driver shaft choice, Prolaunch Red or blue

JML22
Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So went for a fitting, guy was beyond useless at first and finally got someone else to help me a bit but he was busy and didnt have time to help me a ton
So I basically have to work off of what i've hit and how i've seen my ball flight
So my swing speed average came out to 109 - that's swinging pretty easy and i can probably ramp it up a bit more if i wanted to but that would be my most controlled ones.
I have a 9.5 degree 09 burner head and i tee it below the top of the face and it shoots up retardedly high.
So right now i'm askin for how much of a difference is the red and blue ball flights.
I've hit an 09burner with a blue in it and it seemed to fly pretty high and not roll out very far.
They also said i should get an X stiff but i dunno that seemed a bit extreme ???

How do the prolaunch red's play? do they hit it really low and feel really stiff ?

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Oh and question about tip diameter
How are these altered?
like tip diameter of the stock shaft is .35 and new ones are .335
Can you cut the 335s and make them fit or i just have to find an aftermarket .35?

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Red and Blue are literally on the opposite end of the spectrum...

Red is a high kickpoint shaft while the Blue is a low kickpoint shaft.

Thus, Red = low trajectory, more boring flight, you'll experience much more roll.
Blue = higher trajectory, less roll.

X-stiff at 109 isn't unheard of... I swing at 115-118 and use a X-stiff. My previous driver I had a Prolaunch Red Stiff and it worked well. The Red's do feel a bit stouty so a lot of people say you can get away with hitting Stiff, especially at around 109.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

I wish the guy was better trained.... man he was useless and barely knew what i was asking about
Maybe ill just buy the stiff prolaunch red off RBG and try it out? I dont want it to be too too low but right now its pretty ridiculous how low i'm teeing it and how high it's going.
What do you think of the red? can you still get the ball high enough to carry hazards?
I just dont want to be hitting 270-280 yard bullets that i cant get over anything, but the blue seems to shoot the ball a bit high for my liking

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

I wish the guy was better trained.... man he was useless and barely knew what i was asking about

For me, i definitely needed a high kickpoitn shaft. With my swing speed and my swing, I was generating a ton of backspin and ballooning my balls and losing quite a bit of distance.

By no means do your balls just bullet out low, its lower trajectory but I never complained about how low the ball was. I'd say instead of going with X-stiff, grab a Stiff and have at it. I think you'll be pleased. Now that I'm using X-stiff on my driver, my trajectory is just where I want it. I personally like lower, more piercing trajectories so it works for me. I average 280-300 yards with roll. If there's a hazard at 290 or 300, I'll tee off with my 3 wood and get 260 yards.

k, what about shaft tips ? since RBG only has .335 tips can i just buy an adapter at golfsmith or something? or should i look for a .35 tip and spend the extra money?
Yeah i think i'll go with the red stiff... ?
haha man they gotta train salesmen better i want them to tell me what i need... he had no idea what i was even talking about

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

i have no idea abuot the shaft tips. guys at the local shop here installed it for me.

just called he said he could do it
i'm excited to try out and see the difference cause all i know right know is the 49 gram stock shaft is causing some major problems

SO next question? what kind of grip should i get? haha

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

most if not all TM drivers are .350 tips (so are Callaway, PING etc..)
a .335 tip WILL work in a .350 tip head w a shim
all clubfitters stock them and can use them w a .335 tip

i would buy a .335 tip anyways if you can, because if you dont like the shaft, you can pull it and re-sale it easier

I used the Pro Launch Red Axis in my Titliest 905T head
it is a 60gm Stiff, inserted at FULL borethrough, which SHOULD make it play between a Stiff and X flex (which is probably where u should be)
BUT...it CPM'd out at 272...which is super stiff

even with this stiffness, its pretty smooth...like Whiteboard smooth (and i have a SS of 99-104...ish)

maybe try the stiff inserted as is, if you dont like it you can always tip the shaft
this means trimming it at the tip of the shaft, which will increase the stiffness slightly

as golfro mentioned above, the Red is a lower launching, lower spinning shaft
the blue is a higher launching, higher spining shaft

HERE is the website, w all the details

on to grips - one answer - TACKI MAC ITOMIC!!!! ....nuff said about those...they are wicked
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

on to grips - one answer - TACKI MAC ITOMIC!!!! ....nuff said about those...they are wicked

I think you've convinced me. I'm going to put on on my LW this weekend.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah I'm gonna try the red, get it cut to 44.5 or something and just giver
i think i understand how the ball flight will be now... it just shoots up and instead of arcing it falls down more uniformly thus with more forward velocity so yeah.
I'm excited for this

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

oh so i'll be ok with a stiff?
or should i consider a regular?
you guys kept saying that the red was a bit stouter... i wasnt warm when i was swinging so just making sure

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

what's the advantage of like a 75-85 g shaft?

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

cut it at 45" for now until you figure out if it needs tipped

i say (again not a club fitter, just a suggestion) a stiff will be fine for now play a few rounds w it and if you feel it needs to be stiffer, adjust the length by having the tip trimmed to your flex liking i found they play true to flex, not like a V2 which tends to play quite stiff compared
what's the advantage of like a 75-85 g shaft?

it's heavier.... ;)

I think you've convinced me. I'm going to put on on my LW this weekend.

i find they are a love/hate relationship

you either love them or despise them me..... LOVE THEM!!!! hahahah! (I still think they should be paying me ;) )
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

kk 45 it is then
i just ordered it off RBG i can't wait to try it out
no more 250 yard bunts with my noodle

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

well 25 bucks after shipping......... can't really go wrong

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
Nickent 4dx driver
YES Carolyne putter

Note: This thread is 4266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!