IGNORED

The brand or style of irons you play is probably not very important.

Note: This thread is 4955 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yup... find the type/style of iron and the right shaft and you're set... The specific brand and model don't really matter; this is simply where personal preference and looks come in. You may find that you like the looks of one brand over another, but really there isn't a difference (at least not really any significant ones) between one company's iron and another in the same catagore (i.e. blade compared to blade, gi to gi, etc.)

I agree 100%. Brand doesn't matter, but you need the catagory/type and shaft that fits your game.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Yup... find the type/style of iron and the right shaft and you're set... The specific brand and model don't really matter; this is simply where personal preference and looks come in. You may find that you like the looks of one brand over another, but really there isn't a difference (at least not really any significant ones) between one company's iron and another company's in the same category (i.e. blade compared to blade, gi to gi, etc.)

I remember one summer when Lee Trevino was between sponsors on the Sr. Tour and won 7 tournaments with 5 different sets of irons.

I like big butts and I can not lie. You other brothers can't deny -- that you've always wanted a pitching hybrid.

It's all true of course. And in gunmetal grey, they're retro, they're now, they're hip, they're kooky, they're cool!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I agree 100%. Brand doesn't matter, but you need the catagory/type and shaft that fits your game.

Yeah, when I said "Style", I meant aesthetics. A Cleveland CG1 Tour blade guy might do a doubletake if you handed him a set of VAS(ectomy) irons.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Yeah, when I said "Style", I meant aesthetics. A Cleveland CG1 Tour blade guy might do a doubletake if you handed him a set of VAS(ectomy) irons.

Know excatly what you are saying. The style of my player's CB Cleveland CG Reds would make many a player cringe because the red insert looks like something that comes in a happy meal. But they perform just as well as my TM tour preferred which is in the same catagory.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Don't some indians like nice arrows? This game is mental, and whatever club makes you feel like you can stand over the ball and produce whatever shot you may need is the club for you. An educated decision prior to getting these clubs should help you get whats right.

Clearly we all like/love golf equipment or we wouldn't talk about it so much.

Also, that set of adams irons....those hybrids look just like the idea black super hybrid I just picked up....

I remember one summer when Lee Trevino was between sponsors on the Sr. Tour and won 7 tournaments with 5 different sets of irons.

They wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm sure I could play with them.

I agree with this thread.

+1

If I could pick two things on my clubs, it would be the shaft and clubhead. Length and lie are not as important factors. The clubhead and shaft, weight and flex, are important.

Hmmm, I don't agree ..... most important are length, lie, flex and gripsize ...... you'll see this at the pro's aswell, once they have found out their optimum length/flex/lie/gripsize they about never will change that...... the only thing that's changing are the newest models heads from the brand they have a contract with.

Overall I would say that if you have found the right combination of shaft length/shaft flex/lie/gripsize ..... the clubhead will not have a large impact on your golf. I bet any low capper with the right combination will hit any club great ! Further we just like to play with the "arrows" we like most ....... allthough I don't agree with "it is the indian - not the arrow" it actually is "the indian - the arrow (ball) and the bow (clubs)"

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Hmmm, I don't agree ..... most important are length, lie, flex and gripsize

Those are four things.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Certainly you don't mean to imply that certain clubs aren't better suited to some player's game and talent than others?

The skilled player that can work the ball and strikes the ball consistently will lose some capability with SGI irons. The high capper who struggles with consistent contact will lose distance, control, and strokes without those same irons. Failing to match clubs to game will virtually ensure that you won't play to your potential.....

.....note I didn't say good or bad, I said potential. The indian has to have the right arrows, then it's up to him/her to use them......but make no mistake, the arrows DO matter.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I like this thread.

I play two different brands and styles in my irons. the PW-9, are titleist players, and the 6-4 are Gigagolf CB's. I have two different brand hybrids, a Nickent and a Callaway, a Nike 4 Wd, and a Nickent Driver and putter.

My equipment choices came down to a a few factors Price (the largest), and compatibility with my skill level.

I need a new wedge though, and since I'm about to lay down some major cash on a pro level Cornet, I'll probably get a GigaGolf one...

Certainly you don't mean to imply that certain clubs aren't better suited to some player's game and talent than others?

High handicappers are high handicapper because they don't hit the ball very well. Heavy headed SGI irons don't cure a poor shoulder turn, swaying, scooping, and slashing across the ball.

Could I go into a proshop and put together a set for a high capper that makes their day on the course even longer and more painful? Of course - start with a relatively flat soled straight and sharp leading edged pro style sole grind (like better players prefer in their wedges), and high kickpoint low torque X shafts like low cappers often get in their drivers. Don't forget the expensive putter purchased without a fitting (all levels). We could mix and match a dozen different setups with random brands and they'd shoot essentially the same score. Once you're able to determine the head style (grind. appearance, balance, weight, etc), the shaft, and the grips that suit your game, you're on your way to 1.) shooting more consistent scores, and 2.) realizing that somebody elses setup is completely irrelevant to your game.

Come on, you could shoot the same score with any similar iron, regardless of brand. I know that you're not me and I'm not you (profoundness) but come on, after a 1/2 hour range session or 9 holes you really should be familiar with your sticks.

The OP said you could play with SIMILAR irons and shoot the same score so no he's not implying that "certain clubs aren't better suited to some player's game and talent than others." What he's saying and most of us are agreeing with, is that the exact make and model don't really matter. You can't tell me that you can't hit your shiny new AP1s and then sing the praises of a set of G15s. Both are GI clubs and while there are differences, they really just look different.

So basically, high hcp with blades... maybe not so good, same with low hcp and SGI irons. But from one SGI set to another or one blade set to another there really isn't too big of a difference.
Brand in some situations has to matter. WalMart clubs with the smiley face guy on them. That's all I'll say.

To a point yes... but this is more of a quality issue. Really though, a high hcp player with WalMart clubs will be just fine if l/l/l is right for them.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

High handicappers are high handicapper because they don't hit the ball very well. Heavy headed SGI irons don't cure a poor shoulder turn, swaying, scooping, and slashing across the ball.

I pretty much agree with the spirit of your post. I am sure that if this view prevailed then golf stocks would tank even more than the have, so watch your back, Wall Street may put out a contract on you. I have two related conerns. The first is that retailers are increasingly stocking only a few brands from big companies. Although they make very good equipment, the cost of all the marketing is passed on to you. The poster who made the point about Wal Mart clubs had a point. The economy of buying a whole set is attractive for people looking to enter the game. Since they often have little idea of what they need, and may be reluctant to look ignorant by asking or guality advice may not be available they may be making a difficult game harder.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Surely you havent heard of KJ Choi

Somebody has to say this and why not in this thread? Who cares what irons KJ Choi has in his golf bag? Same question for Rocco Mediate.

Somebody has to say this and why not in this thread?

i said it more because someone said low handicappers wont be good with SGI and also Monty played with the bhig berthas when they first came out and i assume he was still good at that point

Note: This thread is 4955 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!