IGNORED

Good set of Irons for mid-handicapper

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm in the market for a new set of irons and was wondering what you guys recommend.

My handicap is 11.4 and i'm currently using an old Taylormade 200 series set.

Driver: Taylormade r7
Irons: Mizuno MX-200
Wedges: 60*8 & 56*14*
3,5 wood: r7
Putter: Odyssey white ice

Ping GI sets are pretty hard to beat, and the G15 seems like a winner for a variety of players. Do you know what style of iron (or attributes) you are after?

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

what is your budget?

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Ping GI sets are pretty hard to beat, and the G15 seems like a winner for a variety of players. Do you know what style of iron (or attributes) you are after?

thanks, i'll definately look into the PING GI sets...

what is your budget?

around $500.... new or used.

The Ping's and Mizuno's are definitely good sticks. I personally would look into the Cleveland line. I absolutely loved my TA3's and have hit the new CG7 Tour irons...very solid! I'd go out and hit as many different clubs as you can, then start narrowing it down.

My .02

Irons - nike.gif Forged Blades / Project X 7.0

Driver - nike.gif VR Pro Ltd. Edition 8.5° / FUBUKI Alpha 70x

Wood - nike.gif SQ 3+ 13° / Stock Diamana S-Flex
Wedges - cleveland.gif Tour Action Gunmetal Reg 588 54° & 60° / DG S400
Putter - White Hot XG 2-Ball F7

Bag - nike.gif SQ Tour Carry

Mp-62 or mp-58. They are easier to hit than most people think and at the same time you are more 'connected' with the club and feel your mishits better while getting rewarded with the awesome feeling of the irons on well struck balls. You can't go wrong with either of these. The 58s will be more expensive but you should be able to find the 62s fairly cheapused on ebay....

Ft- Tour 9.5* Proforce V2 77x 44.5"
585h 19* Aldila VS Proto 80 Stff
3-pw Dynamic Gold x100
MP-T10 52* 56*
X-tour 60* Antigua 33"

Mp-62 or mp-58. They are easier to hit than most people think and at the same time you are more 'connected' with the club and feel your mishits better while getting rewarded with the awesome feeling of the irons on well struck balls. You can't go wrong with either of these. The 58s will be more expensive but you should be able to find the 62s fairly cheapused on ebay....

Depending on your ballstriking ability, I'd say the 62's would be a great way to go. This sounds biased coming from someone that shots 20 over, but I think how you hit your irons should determine if you want to play blades more than your final score. Aside from alignment issues, I tend to hit the MP 67s I carry every so often just fine with solid contact, squared face etc. They feel great, but I just can't seem to get over pulling them all the time. If you're looking for every bit of feel out of your clubs, you really can't beat Mizunos.

Personally, I'm after a set of BeCu Pings though, but that's just me.

Ogio Nexos Black on Black

Taylormade TP R9 Superdeep, 9.5, Aldila RIP A70X

Bridgestone J38 15, Motore F1 75S

Mizuno Masters Tournament Blades

Mizuno MP-T10 60.08

Ping Anser 2i

Most mid and low cappers use semi-blades by Mizuno or Titleist !

At hc 11.4 you are that close to single figure that I can imagine you want more control than a GI or SGI iron can provide and maybe you want to work the ball more than the average midcapper.

Any players Cavity Backs will do, like the Mizuno MP-52, MP-57, MP-62 or the current MP-53, MP-58, MP-63 or Titleist 710 AP2, 710 CB.

These are not the GI or SGI irons and not as severe as the more demanding Blades or Musscle Backs.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Mizuno MX-200 or MX-300

Yup. Even the MX 100s. I saw a set of MX 950s at Dicks for $500 a few days ago...smokin deal.

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

Yup. Even the MX 100s. I saw a set of MX 950s at Dicks for $500 a few days ago...smokin deal.

Coincidentally, I was hitting the MX950's earlier today at the golf shop and was very impressed by them.

However, it's a hybrid and I'm assuming there has to be a drawbacks w/ hybrid irons??

Coincidentally, I was hitting the MX950's earlier today at the golf shop and was very impressed by them.

There doesn't have to be any drawbacks if you like them. And in regards to the MX-200s, I also play two different sets of blades, and I don't lose any ability to

control a shot with the MX-200s. They weren't on my radar until I hit them, and they are still the sticks I was using when I shot my lowest round ever (even par 72). Discounted price on them lots of places if you can find them.

Get a set of the pic below. Guaranteed to make you an excellent ball striker and get you to a +2 just by bagging them!

On a serious note, go to a golf shop or 2 and hit everysingle iron they have from blades to ssssssi irons. Find which one works best for you.

There doesn't have to be any drawbacks if you like them.

I was just afraid the hybrids might be tougher to control. But I will definately have to hit a few mx-200 amoungst others.

Get a set of the pic below. Guaranteed to make you an excellent ball striker and get you to a +2 just by bagging them!

I think he should really check out a set of gently used PINGs.

http://www.bakingshop.com/bc/img/DS-6.jpg

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'd buy a ping G series and keep them until i'd switch to some sort of forged club
Cause the Pings will last 30-50 years and they're really solid irons forever

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

Note: This thread is 3593 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!