Sign in to follow this  
hacker23

Good set of Irons for mid-handicapper

Note: This thread is 2344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

47 posts / 45569 viewsLast Reply

I'm actually looking for new clubs now as well - I bought Burner Plus irons as a tax return gift for myself and they're very forgiving but I don't feel I can control them all that well. One of my friends works at an online retailer and offered me his old (he uses clubs for a year and tends to buy something new) set of AP2's at a very very good price - just wondering if these would/could work for me? I am a 10.5 index and play around 2-3 times a week. I should be trying them out tomorrow (he bought a set of AP1's as well) but wasn't sure whether the AP1 or 2 would work best. Thanks in advance.

I'm in the market for a new set of irons...

Anything specific you are trying to accomplish/improve by getting new irons?

and was wondering what you guys recommend.

Ever thought about a dedicated/more specialized wedge? From your signature it looks like your SW is part of the iron set.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been reading alot of good things about the mp-33's. Looks like i'm taking another trip to the golf shop for lunch tomorrow.

hmmmmm MP-33 is more like for realllll pro's, MP-32 is quite popular, but if you like MX-300 ...... question might be if you are willing to invest the practice time to master any of the MP series. Closest to the MX-300 MP-series might be MP-52 or MP-53 or a bit more demanding the MP-58 (or previous MP-57).

Mizuno MP-57's. Best golf purchase I ever made. Bought them when I was around a 14 hcp. They'll make you better, but still offer some forgiveness.

Ill second that MP57 are the best thing i ever bought, beautifull club with a great mix of forgivness and playabiity. Plus they are superseeded now so you can get them super cheap

hmmmmm MP-33 is more like for realllll pro's

I must have stumbled upon a forum off all real pros when i was reading up on the MP-33 b/c most of them said this was easier to hit than most people think and how forgiving it was. but again, i don't know until i try it out.

Ill second that MP57 are the best thing i ever bought, beautifull club with a great mix of forgivness and playabiity. Plus they are superseeded now so you can get them super cheap

I'll look into the MP-57 as well. thanks.

Quest for irons update:

I just tried the MP-58 and MP-68 (those are the only 2 MPs they had there unless i didn't look hard enough).

Anyhow, I'm totally in love with the MP-68, It was smooooth! but the price tag on that puppy is $$$$.

Coming from someone who is in almost the same boat as you, I would strongly recommend you look at the Adams CB2's. I too like Mizzunos, but the Adams are a gorgeous and great feeling iron while still offering some forgiveness.

Quest for irons update:

You can get MP-68's new for around $5-600, just that you have to be a good ballstriker to be able to hit those long irons. Definitely get them if you think you got the game.

I'm actually looking for new clubs now as well - I bought Burner Plus irons as a tax return gift for myself and they're very forgiving but I don't feel I can control them all that well. One of my friends works at an online retailer and offered me his old (he uses clubs for a year and tends to buy something new) set of AP2's at a very very good price - just wondering if these would/could work for me? I am a 10.5 index and play around 2-3 times a week. I should be trying them out tomorrow (he bought a set of AP1's as well) but wasn't sure whether the AP1 or 2 would work best. Thanks in advance.

The AP2 could be a great set of irons for you, great feel but still very forgiving. I am looking to back a set

Appreciate it - I actually hit his AP1's today and thought they were good but he keeps telling me i'll like the AP2's better with the 5.5 shafts. I'll hit them on Saturday morning - good news is I hit a scratch ticket for me and the gf's anniversary for enough money to buy the clubs straight up. Awesome.

You can get MP-68's new for around $5-600, just that you have to be a good ballstriker to be able to hit those long irons. Definitely get them if you think you got the game.

I've searched around and eBay has affordable sets. I'm wathing a few of them now, keeping my fingers crossed.

I've only tried the 6iron and it was smoooooth! i'm sure the longer irons are tougher, but in my mind, yes, i have the game for them ;) we'll see how this translates in reality.

ok, i'm scratching my eBay option since i've been doing alot of research on fakes and surely enough, there's alot on eBay.

wrxJunkie: where can i find a new, legitimate, set for $5-600?

ok, i'm scratching my eBay option since i've been doing alot of research on fakes and surely enough, there's alot on eBay.

Buy from legitimate sellers like "timetheputterman". He sells clubs that are "like new" but in actuality they are basically new and just says that to get around the pricing limit set by the companies.

Mizuno irons for sale by "timtheputterman": http://shop.ebay.com/timtheputterman....c0.m270.l1313

At 11 HDCP, you probably have a stable swing. So, why not go for a full iron fitting? Using your current irons as a baseline, get an idea of the best shaft - some Mizuno fitting kits have a shaft optimizer. Get right shaft and determine what heads you like, and you're set.

From your e-mail, I sense you are at a golf crossroads. Time to see what you really need, and want.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Buy from legitimate sellers like "timetheputterman". He sells clubs that are "like new" but in actuality they are basically new and just says that to get around the pricing limit set by the companies.

Thanks for all your help. I actually got outbid for the MP-68 earlier today. the search continues.....

Note: This thread is 2344 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!