IGNORED

Anyone else here hunt?

nhwoj
Note:Β This thread is 3001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I have a cousin that took a deer with a knife because his sweetie bet him a homemade blueberry milkshake he couldnt do it. He jumped out of a tree and killed a buck. Now follow me on this because as a younger man I have chased young black bears through the woods when they wanted to get into the trash, and I could pace them then but I dont know if I could run one down. A 308 sounds like its a little overkill, but would the idea of a knife be sporting? People hunt for a lot of reasons, and having eaten bear, I am fairly sure this hunt won't be for food.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

I have a cousin that took a deer with a knife because his sweetie bet him a homemade blueberry milkshake he couldnt do it. He jumped out of a tree and killed a buck. Now follow me on this because as a younger man I have chased young black bears through the woods when they wanted to get into the trash, and I could pace them then but I dont know if I could run one down. A 308 sounds like its a little overkill, but would the idea of a knife be sporting? People hunt for a lot of reasons, and having eaten bear, I am fairly sure this hunt won't be for food.

Not sure if you are trying to "poke the bear" with this one.......... ;-)

Either way, I think I will it go...

BTW, I will definitely eat the bear if I am fortunate enough to get one.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/216#post_1115333"] I have a cousin that took a deer with a knife because his sweetie bet him a homemade blueberry milkshake he couldnt do it. He jumped out of a tree and killed a buck. Now follow me on this because as a younger man I have chased young black bears through the woods when they wanted to get into the trash, and I could pace them then but I dont know if I could run one down. A 308 sounds like its a little overkill, but would the idea of a knife be sporting? People hunt for a lot of reasons, and having eaten bear, I am fairly sure this hunt won't be for food.[/QUOTE] Not sure if you are trying to "poke the bear" with this one..........;-) Either way, I think I will it go... BTW, I will definitely eat the bear if I am fortunate enough to get one.

I wonder if spring black bear is less greasy than fall bear? They have been hibernating so it might less gamey, greasy. I do know a lot of bbq guys that would love to give it a slow cook. And I was being serious about the method of hunting, but I thought about it and I think a spear would make more sense, unless you could find light kevlar body armor. I would still carry the knife, for backup.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

They are not that big..... The old 308 should do the trick.

Amen. Everyone thinks a bear is invincible, far from it. A 10mm auto or 30/30 seem to be the go to cartridges for them around here, mostly black bears. Brown bears maybe a 308 or 44 Magnum, but these guys thinking they need a 50 BMG to drop a bear have played too many video games, seen too many movies, or aren't accurate enough to hit the vitals.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

I love to hunt deer, ducks, geese, coyote. Small game when I can loved to squirrel and rabbit hunt as a kid. Bow, rifle and black powder hunt here in Michigan every year, have taken trips for deer to Wyoming, Montana, Wisconson, Indiana and Ontario. Got into layout hunting for ducks for several years on Lakes Huron, Michigan, Superior and St. Clair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickyputt

Not sure if you are trying to "poke the bear" with this one..........

Either way, I think I will it go...

BTW, I will definitely eat the bear if I am fortunate enough to get one.

I wonder if spring black bear is less greasy than fall bear? They have been hibernating so it might less gamey, greasy. I do know a lot of bbq guys that would love to give it a slow cook. And I was being serious about the method of hunting, but I thought about it and I think a spear would make more sense, unless you could find light kevlar body armor. I would still carry the knife, for backup.

No, a spring bear tastes a lot gamier. The fall bear has lots of berries and other fruity stuff in it, much tastier. . .

I've never hunted bear before, but I've eaten game bear numerous times. :beer:

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/216#post_1115443"] Β  [QUOTE name="14ledo81" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/210#post_1115441"] Β  [QUOTE name="trickyputt" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/216#post_1115333"] I have a cousin that took a deer with a knife because his sweetie bet him a homemade blueberry milkshake he couldnt do it. He jumped out of a tree and killed a buck. Now follow me on this because as a younger man I have chased young black bears through the woods when they wanted to get into the trash, and I could pace them then but I dont know if I could run one down. A 308 sounds like its a little overkill, but would the idea of a knife be sporting? People hunt for a lot of reasons, and having eaten bear, I am fairly sure this hunt won't be for food.[/QUOTE] Not sure if you are trying to "poke the bear" with this one..........;-) Either way, I think I will it go... BTW, I will definitely eat the bear if I am fortunate enough to get one.[/QUOTE] I wonder if spring black bear is less greasy than fall bear? They have been hibernating so it might less gamey, greasy. I do know a lot of bbq guys that would love to give it a slow cook. And I was being serious about the method of hunting, but I thought about it and I think a spear would make more sense, unless you could find light kevlar body armor. I would still carry the knife, for backup.[/QUOTE] No, a spring bear tastes a lot gamier. The fall bear has lots of berries and other fruity stuff in it, much tastier. . . I've never hunted bear before, but I've eaten game bear numerous times. :beer:

Pictures are now required of you in the food thread. Good hunting!

Tom R.

Many golfers like myself play golf (especially around dawn) partly in order to feel part of nature, enjoy the serenity of golf courses, Β  and essentially get away from the maddening crowd - the greed, exploitation and crudeness of everyday living.

We often choose to look at our sport, in all its facets, with a degree of reverence and such is extended to fellow players. Even most of the bad guys become nice with a golf club in their hands.

Golf is akin to Christmas when most folk put on their best faces and celebrate. Yet we are not naive: We appreciate that some of the chaps we play with possibly beat their wives, don't pay their taxes, or choose to shoot defenceless animals for fun knowing that they will always cause needless pain and 'win.'

Nonetheless most of us don't want such intelligence pushed into our faces when entering the world of golf. We hate to see photos. of bloody corpses next to hunters as a golf profile pic.

We hate hunters Β carrying rifles on golf courses and we want to be left alone to enjoy our romantic golf world, our escape from the other reality of life. Leastways whilst we are engaging in golf.

Largely we don't enter your killing forums and push golf into your faces. So likewise please leave us alone too.

As alien as 'live and let live' may be to you.

Many golfers like myself play golf (especially around dawn) partly in order to feel part of nature, enjoy the serenity of golf courses, Β  and essentially get away from the maddening crowd - the greed, exploitation and crudeness of everyday living.Β  We often choose to look at our sport, in all its facets, with a degree of reverence and such is extended to fellow players. Even most of the bad guys become nice with a golf club in their hands. Golf is akin to Christmas when most folk put on their best faces and celebrate. Yet we are not naive: We appreciate that some of the chaps we play with possibly beat their wives, don't pay their taxes, or choose to shoot defenceless animals for fun knowing that they will always cause needless pain and 'win.' Nonetheless most of us don't want such intelligence pushed into our faces when entering the world of golf. We hate to see photos. of bloody corpses next to hunters as a golf profile pic. We hate hunters Β carrying rifles on golf courses and we want to be left alone to enjoy our romantic golf world, our escape from the other reality of life. Leastways whilst we are engaging in golf.Β  Largely we don't enter your killing forums and push golf into your faces. So likewise please leave us alone too. As alien as 'live and let live' may be to you.

The whole topic of this thread, located in the non-golf forum, is to discuss hunting. You also have made a large number of generalities, none of which hold much water, and appear offended. I suggest that you just ignore this thread, since there is nothing actually wrong with this thread being here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvanSanders

Many golfers like myself play golf (especially around dawn) partly in order to feel part of nature, enjoy the serenity of golf courses, Β  and essentially get away from the maddening crowd - the greed, exploitation and crudeness of everyday living.

We often choose to look at our sport, in all its facets, with a degree of reverence and such is extended to fellow players. Even most of the bad guys become nice with a golf club in their hands.

Golf is akin to Christmas when most folk put on their best faces and celebrate. Yet we are not naive: We appreciate that some of the chaps we play with possibly beat their wives, don't pay their taxes, or choose to shoot defenceless animals for fun knowing that they will always cause needless pain and 'win.'

Nonetheless most of us don't want such intelligence pushed into our faces when entering the world of golf. We hate to see photos. of bloody corpses next to hunters as a golf profile pic.

We hate hunters Β carrying rifles on golf courses and we want to be left alone to enjoy our romantic golf world, our escape from the other reality of life. Leastways whilst we are engaging in golf.

Largely we don't enter your killing forums and push golf into your faces. So likewise please leave us alone too.

As alien as 'live and let live' may be to you.

The whole topic of this thread, located in the non-golf forum, is to discuss hunting. You also have made a large number of generalities, none of which hold much water, and appear offended. I suggest that you just ignore this thread, since there is nothing actually wrong with this thread being here.

I agree with Tyler on this.

Just not worth responding to for myself.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I do have to admit, though, that after taking up golf and playing for the last 4 years or so that I stopped noting the kill zone locations on animals I encounter either on or off the course. Instead, I see golf shots that I could make with a wedge or iron everywhere I walk, and annoy my wife doing mirror work in the morning when I get up. . . :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

@IvanSanders , it's fine by me that you oppose hunting, though I will point out as others have that you are the one who wandered into the "Grill Room" forum where the topics are anything but golf. If you likewise don't want to talk about automobiles, or what you had for dinner, or other such topics, then you may just want to avoid the "Grill Room" sub-forum here altogether.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I plan on using a rifle. I want to stay back from the bait a ways. I am planning on trying to wait for a bigger one, so I do not want to educate them. I also hope to have someone sit with me and take video.

You can bait them? Thought that was illegal? What do you use?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

[quote name="14ledo81" url="/t/40909/anyone-else-here-hunt/200_40#post_1115230"]I plan on using a rifle. I want to stay back from the bait a ways. I am planning on trying to wait for a bigger one, so I do not want to educate them. I also hope to have someone sit with me and take video.

You can bait them? Thought that was illegal? What do you use?[/quote] Little Debbie's..... :) Seriously.....

-Matt-

Nice, I dunno if corn brings em in or you hang a bunch of salmon from a tree. Never bait hunted anything. Grew up in CT, totally illegal there.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunther

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

I plan on using a rifle. I want to stay back from the bait a ways. I am planning on trying to wait for a bigger one, so I do not want to educate them.

I also hope to have someone sit with me and take video.

You can bait them? Thought that was illegal? What do you use?

Little Debbie's..... :)

Seriously.....

Nice, I dunno if corn brings em in or you hang a bunch of salmon from a tree. Never bait hunted anything. Grew up in CT, totally illegal there.

My experience with bears while climbing up in the Sierras has been that bears like any kind of people food. They even climb trees and rip open "bear proof" containers to get at it. One example, they didn't like the Top Ramen Chicken noodles, but loved the Kim Chi instant noodles I left in a stuff sack hanging off a tree. They toppled the tree and ate only the good stuff leaving the junky food for us humans. To add insult to injury the ranger made us pick up all the trash they left for about a mile or so.

"Little Debbie's" sounds just like the stuff they would gobble up.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

We use anything sweet and smelly. We can actually buy barrels of sweets that are outdated.

-Matt-

Note:Β This thread is 3001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!