IGNORED

Anyone else here hunt?

nhwoj
Note: This thread is 3028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 12/7/2015 at 8:13 AM, 14ledo81 said:

Where I hunt (northern WI), we have had a couple of really hard winters, the predator (wolf & bear) population is high, and very close to where I hunt, logging has been stopped (long story).  This all adds up to deer numbers being considerably lower than they have been.  

In a typical year (5-7) years ago or better, even if I didn't see a "shooter" buck, I would still see multiple small bucks.  My son has been hunting with me the past two years, and I have been hoping he can get a crack at his first buck.  We can't even see a spike.  I am really down on hunting right now.  I hope it some how turns around.

Yeah same here, even down in Jackson County is has gotten pretty bad.  I saw one deer over three days of opening weekend on over 400 acres of private land.  Time to fish more I guess! :-)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, cipher said:

Yeah same here, even down in Jackson County is has gotten pretty bad.  I saw one deer over three days of opening weekend on over 400 acres of private land.  Time to fish more I guess! :-)

Yep.  Just gotta convince my son of that....

47 minutes ago, rolopolo said:

Shooting a beautiful live animal in the face for fun and then posing with it for a photo is very f&cked up imo :mellow:

I have not shot an animal in the face for fun.  I definitely do hunt for enjoyment, but I also use the meat to feed my family.  Does that still make me f&cked up?

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Anyone every try to take any larger game with 5.7x28?

My friend is thinking of using his home defense FNH-PS90 (16" barrel) for a change. He's a really good hunter and easily gets within 20 yards on the ground as he's normally a traditional bow hunter (uses only a 43 pound long bow). Seemed like a bad idea to me, but I don't really know. . .

It seems like there is not enough kinetic energy even with 2350fps, but the 16" barrel in the civilian model seems to develop a higher velocity with the same round. http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/VersusRifleP90vsPS90

It appears to be legal (http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx):

§353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.

• (a) The take or attempted take of any big game (as defined by Section 350 of these regulations) with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 2501. of these regulations.
  • (b) Definition. For purposes of this section, a projectile is any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.
  • (c) Except for the provisions of the following subsections (d) through (j), big game may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354 of these regulations for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation
  • (d) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.
  • (e) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.
  • (f) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.

OTOH, the 16" barrel kind of puts it into a carbine/rifle category?

A google search yielded a couple decent threads:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532155

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4800193/5_7x28mm_question

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, rolopolo said:

Shooting a beautiful live animal in the face for fun and then posing with it for a photo is very f&cked up imo :mellow:

You should probably win a some kind of an award.

1 hour ago, 14ledo81 said:

I have not shot an animal in the face for fun.  I definitely do hunt for enjoyment, but I also use the meat to feed my family.  Does that still make me f&cked up?

Yes, we are a couple very f'ed up individuals. ;-)

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

4 hours ago, 14ledo81 said:

Yep.  Just gotta convince my son of that....

Mmmm bit of a grey area. Are you saying that you like the hunt, but not the part of pullin the trigger? Something you have to do to feed your family? In that case I might let you off the hook :-\.

19 minutes ago, rolopolo said:

Mmmm bit of a grey area. Are you saying that you like the hunt, but not the part of pullin the trigger? Something you have to do to feed your family? In that case I might let you off the hook :-\.

Please let's not provoke in this thread. You've stated your point. Please move on. You can start another thread if you want to discuss your point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Please let's not provoke in this thread. You've stated your point. Please move on. You can start another thread if you want to discuss your point.

I will leave it be.

I just think people should inform themselves before they make emotional statements.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

8 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

I will leave it be.

I just think people should inform themselves before they make emotional statements.

I think u were saying u don't shoot animals in the face, right?  I never have.  ;-)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

17 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

I will leave it be.

Fair enough, not the place to discuss this. My reference to hunting is very much from an African perspective, which is where I'm from, and I probs don't have enough knowledge of American deer hunting culture. Just hate seeing people posing with dead giraffes, hippos, lions, 100 year old elephants, etc :-(

As you were.

Edited by rolopolo

1 hour ago, rolopolo said:

Fair enough, not the place to discuss this. My reference to hunting is very much from an African perspective, which is where I'm from, and I probs don't have enough knowledge of American deer hunting culture. Just hate seeing people posing with dead giraffes, hippos, lions, 100 year old elephants, etc :-(

As you were.

Thats ok.  I don't mind having civil discussion about it.

To me it is all about what is called the "harvestable surplus".  The land will only support so many animals.  Without hunting, some will die from disease, lack of food, etc.  A true hunter/conservationist cares about the animal population.  With overharvest, there would be no more hunting.  This applies to fishing (and really any natural resource) as well.

-Matt-

3 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

Thats ok.  I don't mind having civil discussion about it.

To me it is all about what is called the "harvestable surplus".  The land will only support so many animals.  Without hunting, some will die from disease, lack of food, etc.  A true hunter/conservationist cares about the animal population.  With over harvest, there would be no more hunting.  This applies to fishing (and really any natural resource) as well.

The recreational hunter tends to be more this way, because they don't have to make quotas. They hunt because they enjoys the outdoors and harvesting food for their families.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

IMO there is no ethical argument against hunters being self-reliant and harvesting food. It removes a good deal of demand from the nefarious and very ethically dubious meat industry. As long as state wildlife management maintains proper counts and updates limits and seasons properly we can maintain stasis. 

When I was young I was anti-gun and anti-hunting, but now I am putting using my 30-30 Win to bag some venison on my priority list...

dak4n6

44 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

IMO there is no ethical argument against hunters being self-reliant and harvesting food. It removes a good deal of demand from the nefarious and very ethically dubious meat industry. As long as state wildlife management maintains proper counts and updates limits and seasons properly we can maintain stasis. 

When I was young I was anti-gun and anti-hunting, but now I am putting using my 30-30 Win to bag some venison on my priority list...

Is it a "Henry"?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

16 hours ago, Lihu said:

Is it a "Henry"?

Nope. It's a Marlin lever action. Some call it a 'Remlin', since apparently Remington bought Marlin and ever since according to gun snobs, quality went into the crapper. I have heard you can get a good one, or a lemon. Mine, it cycles a bit stiff, but it never misfires and it's accurate as heck w/iron sights.

dak4n6

2 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

Nope. It's a Marlin lever action. Some call it a 'Remlin', since apparently Remington bought Marlin and ever since according to gun snobs, quality went into the crapper. I have heard you can get a good one, or a lemon. Mine, it cycles a bit stiff, but it never misfires and it's accurate as heck w/iron sights.

I heard that if you cycle it a couple hundred times to "loosen" that it will be easier. 30/30 is a pretty large round so you might consider doing that?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

17 hours ago, dak4n6 said:

Good to hear.  When cooked properly, venison is excellent.

-Matt-

11 minutes ago, dak4n6 said:

Snobs will be snobs, it still is a great gun IMO.  Mine cycled a bit stiff as well.  The Hornady leverevolution was great stuff for it. 

Nate

Note: This thread is 3028 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!