IGNORED

Titleist Vokeys

Note: This thread is 4588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Titleist Vokeys

• Good/Great
    • Quite average
    • Poor/Really Bad
    • Dont Know

What a ridiculous, arrogant and meaningless piece of drivel this is.

They feel rubbish because they are CAST out of quite poor quality steel

I believe the Taylormade RAC TP Smoke wedges are much better as they spin but not as much vokeys, well that is my opinion anyway. And plus im entitled to my opinion if you dont like it then thats ok but im still entitled to it. The lack of shots could be down to lack of skill or something like that but i can play much more shots with my 60º taylormade. Also my home course is quite soft which could amount to some of the spin because i cant hit a half shot with out checking it.

ok-still your swing.

agreed

so i guess a 20 index has all the tools to make a Vokey wedge work properly, and this is why they are "rubbish" it has nothing to do with the fact that you need more practice with them around the greens??????? or maybe the the ball you are using doesnt do what you want it too??? (Imean a Pro V1 is a pretty easy ball to spin) as Iacas mentioned, a majority ot touring pro's would disagree with you.....and so do I
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. Doesn't mean that you're not completely wrong. And you are completely wrong. Now you're attacking them because they're cast? And out of "quite poor quality steel?" They're cast from a soft, high-quality steel. If I blindfolded you, you'd never know if you were hitting a cast or forged wedge. I think the majority of tournaments the last 10 or maybe even 20 years have been won by pros using cast Clevelands and Vokeys.

Here's an idea. As a 20 'capper, playing on an admittedly "soft" course, stop playing a ProV1. In my opinion it is highly unlikely that it's the best ball for your game.

agreed

Actually i practice from 100 yards and in for about 2 hours a week roughly. I should be quite a bit lower because i have been hitting the ball well just i cant keep the momentum going like i have been out in 41 about 8 times but the back in an ambulance keeps occurring. Plus sometimes i use old crap balls instead now i have ran out of Pro V1s they also spin too much for my liking. Sorry If i sound like an idiot

• Administrator

Yeah, so horrible, those cast wedges... that they're the most played wedges on the PGA Tour. Terrible! Guess what? They're not cast out of "poor quality" steel (8620 milled carbon steel) and the way they're formed (cast vs. forged) has no real bearing on their feel - you can't (and pros can't) tell the difference. If they were forged, they'd cost more simply because forging is a more costly process, and there'd be no actual benefit.

I believe the Taylormade RAC TP Smoke wedges are much better as they spin but not as much vokeys, well that is my opinion anyway.

You do realize those are cast wedges, right? Ooops.

And plus im entitled to my opinion if you dont like it then thats ok but im still entitled to it.

Yes, but others are saying you've got an uninformed opinion, and it carries little to no weight because you can't seem to back up your opinion with any actual facts, beliefs, or specifics.

You started this thread with a controversial position that had little to no backing information. You shouldn't be surprised that you're getting some flack and feedback. It's highly, highly unlikely that you know what you're talking about, that you've extensively compared identical wedges (loft, bounce, shaft, swing weight, etc.) to be able to accurately compare the two brands... etc. And if you disagree with what I said, then tell me: what's the point of this thread? You know the answer to the poll - tons of golfers play Vokeys.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Spin Milled grooves produce a medium trajectory and high spin From Titleist Website(too much spin but thats probably just for my area due to the fact that the course are normally soft)

For feel i rubbish was maybe a bit far but they arent as good as the Taylormades Due to the feel pockets of the taylormades (i think)

The Callaway X Forged wedges are much and such the same as the vokeys price wise

A bit of a bold statement I would say for a 20 handicapper.

You don't like them, fine, but your claim that you can't play as big a variety of shots is bogus. You can play any shot with any wedge on the market today, they all got a loft, bounce and grooves. They will of course be different from one another, but you can execute any shot with any club.

The amount of spin is dependant on the wedge, ball and swing. Some wedges give you more spin, some less, but none give you so much spin that hitting different shots are not possible.

The claim about poor iron quality and being cast I don't buy at all. Like someone else mentioned, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference from a forged and cast club blindfolded. That you don't like the feel of them is OK, nobody said everyone must like how a club feel.

You have a subjective opinion about the club, but you can't throw objective facts into them. I hardly think these clubs lack any shot variety when such a big amount of pros play them. They also play the softest balls, but can still hit a variety of shots.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Maybe I ever so slightly exaggerated you can play different shots with them its maybe just the types of shots i try as impossible like stop a low chip really quickly. And i suppose if i have that big of objection get rid of it and get a different wedge

I just picked up a 58º Vokey sand wedge and love it. I've been able to play all kinds of shots with it so far. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the top-brand names anyway and the differences between one brand vs another is probably minimal on something like a muscle-back wedge.

They're carbon steel. Softer than probably any other non-forged wedge,

I believe the Taylormade RAC TP Smoke wedges are much better as they spin but not as much vokeys, well that is my opinion anyway.

The lack of shots could be down to lack of skill or something like that but i can play much more shots with my 60º taylormade.

These are fairly baseless IMO. Vokey not only offers the lower-spinning C-C version, but they offer several different grinds for each loft. If you like the shape of your TM 60* with X* bounce better than the shape of a Vokey 60* with X* bounce that's one thing, but your painting this with an extremely broad brush .

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
Maybe I ever so slightly exaggerated you can play different shots with them its maybe just the types of shots i try as impossible like stop a low chip really quickly. And i suppose if i have that big of objection get rid of it and get a different wedge

It's your technique. It's that simple.

You don't like 'em - perhaps for reasons others here think are pretty lame - but you're just making it worse for yourself with your continued posts here. Do yourself a favor and stop. Don't respond to others or post in this thread again.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I like vokeys, i dont play them but i would agree that them being unified as the best wedge is a a bit much. All the premium wedges perform pretty well these days and itll come down to the person to choose what they like most.

My Clubs:
Ping I3 + blade 3-pw
9.5 09 Burner with prolaunch red
Nickent 4dx driver
Taylormade Z tp 52, 56, 60
YES Carolyne putter

I love my vokeys.

I've complained about them - stupid oilcan finish. I was kind of PO'd about getting the cover ripped off a new ball too. Now that the spin milling is completely worn off, the performance is more what I was expecting. Check when I want check and release when I want release. I like the "grind" and find it to be a very versatile wedge. I'll never buy one again of course, but I see why people like them.

That's a crazy assed 180 right there.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

What shots do you struggle to hit with the Vokey wedges? Not judging from your handicap only, but most PGA Tour pros feel like they're good enough to hit the shots they need to play every week. But then again, I wouldn't trust what the PGA tour pros say or play, I'd rather listen to a 20 handicapper complain about one of the best wedges on the market.

LOL there's your answer OP. This thread is so subjective it's unreal. So many different variables. Such an outlandish statement to say about the most used wedge on tour (correct me if i am wrong, could be second most). Maybe they spin too much for ya, just maybe find a non spin milled version. Judging by your hcap, I can't imagine it really matters.

What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

• Administrator
Now that the spin milling is completely worn off, the performance is more what I was expecting.

For the umpteenth time, the grooves are what's "spin milled," not those little swirly things on the face.

For the umpteenth time, the grooves are what's "spin milled," not those little swirly things on the face.

Okay, whatever that total PITA metal thumb print thing is called, the wedge was better once it was gone.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Spin Milled grooves produce a medium trajectory and high spin From Titleist Website(too much spin but thats probably just for my area due to the fact that the course are normally soft)

Sorry guys i think i was having a random rant at titleist there due to some bad shots with that club lately

Love the backtracking.... the clubs are rubbish... alright, maybe not rubbish, just not as good... I guess i slightly exaggerated... I had bad shots, my fault not the club....

LOL.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 4588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!