IGNORED

Titleist Vokeys

Note: This thread is 4569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. Titleist Vokeys

• Good/Great
    • Quite average
    • Poor/Really Bad
    • Dont Know

• Administrator

Originally Posted by 18thbunker

cast vs forged ..... when it comes to feel not even close.....unless you have hands of stone. this should not even debatable.

And it's not debatable... golfers can't tell the difference. Proven by science and several studies. Golfers couldn't even tell the difference, when you plugged their ears, between a Top-Flite and a premium golf ball.

Forged vs. Cast is a joke. The shape of the club often dictates the process by which it's made, and that's about all that "forged" or "cast" matters. 20 years ago "cast" was worse. They've made some awfully big strides in casting. Casting is now as good as forged, period.

Here's nearly 70 pages on the topic: http://thesandtrap.com/t/1358/master-forged-vs-cast-or-blade-vs-game-improvement-iron-thread .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shorty

Again...you're making things up.  And you are also swallowing Mizuno's advertising hook line and sinker. Aren't there air pockets in the billets they use for their forged irons?

A lot of Ping players out there too, arent' there? Not many of them play Anser forged irons.

And, in case you didn't understand the point Iacas made, Vokeys are probably the most played wedges on tour. Played by roughly half, in fact.

If Titleist thought that they could could make a better wedge by forging them they'd do it.  You are imagining things.

Or perhaps Titleist is just using a cheaper manufacturing process.  As for the billet rods used in forging irons, the forging process pounds the pockets out of the metal.  Its amazing how many people dont understand the differences between casting and forging.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

You must be including yourself in that.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Its amazing how many people dont understand the differences between casting and forging.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Or perhaps Titleist is just using a cheaper manufacturing process.  As for the billet rods used in forging irons, the forging process pounds the pockets out of the metal.  Its amazing how many people dont understand the differences between casting and forging.

Cleveland wedges are cast too. Vokeys. Two most popular wedges on the PGA Tour - guys that utterly and completely depend on their wedges for their livings. If there was any advantage at all to having forged wedges, they'd all be playing forged wedges. Titleist obviously doesn't have a problem with forging complex clubs - clearly they'd forge wedges if it provided even a little performance benefit.

The simple truth is, it doesn't. Cast wedges are just as good as forged. In fact, if you cast clubs out of a softer metal, they can easily be better than forged. Casting techniques aren't the same as the ones from the 1970s.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by coopster

I just traded out my cg15 for a vokey 60 and I am 100% glad I did. Great spin and feel with this club.

Nothing spins like a new Vokey.  I couldn't get mine into a practice bunker fast enough. I'm not a fan of a wedge that won't let the ball release a little bit when you want it to. I like the shape (grind in forged lingo) though - it's very classic and unlike Cleveland it doesn't change much year to year. Thank goodness Cleveland is re-introducing some of their more "classic" grinds.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Proven by science and several studies ???

We are talking about feel ? You are saying that what golfers personally feel is superceded by science and several studies ? So what my hands feel  is just a figment of my imagination ?

Geez people have some ounce of common sense and think for yourself for a change. Stop being robots and products of 'science'.

Originally Posted by iacas

And it's not debatable... golfers can't tell the difference. Proven by science and several studies. Golfers couldn't even tell the difference, when you plugged their ears, between a Top-Flite and a premium golf ball.

Forged vs. Cast is a joke. The shape of the club often dictates the process by which it's made, and that's about all that "forged" or "cast" matters. 20 years ago "cast" was worse. They've made some awfully big strides in casting. Casting is now as good as forged, period.

Here's nearly 70 pages on the topic: http://thesandtrap.com/t/1358/master-forged-vs-cast-or-blade-vs-game-improvement-iron-thread .

BMW Championships

Wedges:
1. Titleist (64)
2. TaylorMade (41)
3. Cleveland (30)

Gosh----how most these of these guys must have suffered without the "feel" of forged wedges. Poor babies.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

'Science and several studies ........ concluded no difference'.

Now folks, do we really need science of others to tell us what our hands are telling us ?

Geez, time to lay off those 'studies' and use our own personal common sense.

My hands tell me that a well made forge irons will give you the buttery feel compared to the popular irons made via the casting process.

Now folks, do we really need science of others to tell us what our hands are telling us ?

My hands tell me that a well made forge irons will give you the buttery feel compared to the popular irons made via the casting process.

How has "feel isn't real" not found its way into this thread? It's the placebo effect. You pick up a forged Mizuno and your brain tells you it's supposed to be soft. Consequently, if you pick up a cast Ping G10, your brain is going to scream "hard as a rock!" because we've all been told that's what we're supposed to feel. Perception isn't reality. You say lay off "those 'studies,'" I say lay off the marketing.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Let's not bring G10s into this discussion. There's a whole other part of my brain that tells me to just put down the G10.

Originally Posted by jamo

Quote:

How has "feel isn't real" not found its way into this thread? It's the placebo effect. You pick up a forged Mizuno and your brain tells you it's supposed to be soft. Consequently, if you pick up a cast Ping G10, your brain is going to scream "hard as a rock!" because we've all been told that's what we're supposed to feel. Perception isn't reality. You say lay off "those 'studies,'" I say lay off the marketing.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I lol'd at this.  I rented G10's (only lefty clubs they had)  while on vacation this year and I hated them.  I couldn't hit them well (could be indian) didn't like how they looked at address and overall had a horrible experience with them.  I know others think highly of them and I was more likely the reason than the clubs but that day kind of ruined them for me.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Let's not bring G10s into this discussion. There's a whole other part of my brain that tells me to just put down the G10.

Joe Paradiso

Again it's not the hands giving you feedback, it's the difference in sound

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

We are talking about feel ? You are saying that what golfers personally feel is superceded by science and several studies ? So what my hands feel  is just a figment of my imagination ?

Your hands are liars.

Others have responded and I have virtually no time. "Feel" is 90%+ sound. "Science and studies" prove that we're easily fooled. Stamp a cast club "forged" and people will tell you it's softer than a forged club stamped "cast." Build a cast muscle back and people will tell you it feels softer than a forged cavity back (with no markings on either).

You believe what you want to believe, and "feel" is a lie.

Note: This thread is 4569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!