IGNORED

One Club for an Entire Round of Golf… Which One Would It Be??

d_golf
Note: This thread is 1933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A 7 iron for me. I have good enough distance that it wouldn't hurt that bad. It's got descent loft for shots that need it.

Our old high school coach took the team out one year and played them using only his 7i. He won. My  buddies and I did this many years ago...I can't remember what I shot though

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

Longest par 4 at my course it´s 410. Longest par 3 200. Longest par 5 535.
I need 200 yards in order to have a chance in every hole to hit GIR.
I can hit upward on a iron and hook it for max carry an roll, i think i can cover that 200 yards with a 7 iron.

Curious as to why not just play for an up and down or a bogey and comfortable 7i shots rather than trying to nuke it to 200?

That’s basically what I did on my 7i round.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• iacas changed the title to One Club for an Entire Round of Golf… Which One Would It Be??

I'm going to jump on the 7 iron bandwagon. 

But it may depend on the course. If there really aren't too many tough bunkers I'd like to say 6 iron or maybe even a 5 iron. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

21 hours ago, Lihu said:

Curious as to why not just play for an up and down or a bogey and comfortable 7i shots rather than trying to nuke it to 200?

That’s basically what I did on my 7i round.

If you want to practice with just one club and hit it normally and don´t care about the score i agree with you.
But for scoring pourposes hitting longer it´s better.
If i had a 400 yards par 4.. and hit my 7 iron normally i would hit 175 with carry. That´s 350 with 2 shot leaving me a 50 yards shot with 7 iron. It is well know that going for it it´s better than layup if the green isn´t surrounded with penalty areas.

another vote for 7 Iron.  I can hit anything under 145 with that club, so it would suit me well.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

1 hour ago, p1n9183 said:

If you want to practice with just one club and hit it normally and don´t care about the score i agree with you.
But for scoring pourposes hitting longer it´s better.
If i had a 400 yards par 4.. and hit my 7 iron normally i would hit 175 with carry. That´s 350 with 2 shot leaving me a 50 yards shot with 7 iron. It is well know that going for it it´s better than layup if the green isn´t surrounded with penalty areas.

I think our perspectives are different because our skill levels are significantly different?

My average 7i is 161 with a maximum of 190 (bouncing off a sprinkler head, rolling off a green or something?). On my 7i only round I think I was hitting a bit on the longer side of my range because I got a lot of practice hitting my 7i, but always a standard shot with some freakish results. I’ll have to record another 7i only round in GG next time to see.

I’d have to guess that your iron striking is really good? I remember you mentioning that your drives are not terribly long, so your approach game is probably really good for you to have such a great game.

So, that huge difference in iron skill levels to pull off the longer shot more safely might account for our strategic differences?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

26 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think our perspectives are different because our skill levels are significantly different?

My average 7i is 161 with a maximum of 190 (bouncing off a sprinkler head, rolling off a green or something?). On my 7i only round I think I was hitting a bit on the longer side of my range because I got a lot of practice hitting my 7i, but always a standard shot with some freakish results. I’ll have to record another 7i only round in GG next time to see.

I’d have to guess that your iron striking is really good? I remember you mentioning that your drives are not terribly long, so your approach game is probably really good for you to have such a great game.

So, that huge difference in iron skill levels to pull off the longer shot more safely might account for our strategic differences?

Not at all, my short game is my strogest suit. But i love to work the ball and i´m really good at it. Hitting a low hook with a closed face isn´t hard for me. I´ll never do it in competition because i could club up and hit 200 yards with a 4..5 iron or even an hybrid with a nice and smooth swing. 
In this scenario i prefer to risk a little and force that 7 iron and hit it 200 yards. Like broady said, 20 yards account for 1 stroke gained over 18 holes at pro level, more for Am´s so I think it worth it.  

Note: This thread is 1933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!