IGNORED

Wedge Material: 1020 Steel, 304 Stainless, or Brass

DavidNJ
Note: This thread is 6358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've seen all three uses. 1020 seems most common. Wishon uses 304. And there have been brass wedges that claim great feel (at one time many putters were brass).

The only clubfitting book that seems to mention it is Summitt/Jackson; and they say it makes no difference.

What are the advantages of each? Which do you play?

Thanks,

David
In my bag:
Dynacraft Prophet 12° Neutral Driver, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I A-flex shaft
Dynacraft Prophet 16° 3W and 19° 5w, , SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 A-flex shafts
Dynacraft Prophet 23° & 26° Hybrids, SK Fiber ZTri Tec A-flex shafts
Golfsmith HS300 irons 5-9, pw, aw 26°-50° with...

feel and cost is the difference.. when it feels better then it usually costs more.. Brass I wouldnt try changing loft or lie with them..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

I've seen all three uses. 1020 seems most common. Wishon uses 304. And there have been brass wedges that claim great feel (at one time many putters were brass).

DavidNJ,

As aquacooled mentioned, there are differences in feel between all the different metals used. Carbon steels are typically the softest according to the Rockwell Hardness Scale, with 8620 and 1020 being very close together. However, carbon steels are typically less durable than stainelss steel applications. Stainless are typically harder, but have much better durability. Most stainless alloys are too brittle to be forged which is why you typically see them in cast applications. The exception being 17-4 and 410 which is used in clubs like the Titleist 755. If you're a range rat, I'd strongly consider a stainless set for the durability aspects alone. Berillium Copper was a very common alloy used in the past since it is very soft, yet is still very durable. However, its use is prohibited in the golf industry these days due to EPA restrictons on the use of Berillium which is carcinogenic when airbore. From a pure performance aspect, it makes no differnece. You are still hitting a white ball with a piece of metal. However, there is a bit of a difference in feel, but not neccissarily one which isn't influenced just as much by club design than by material used. Don't get too caught up in the hype between all the different metals used and the forged versus cast debate. There are stainelss Ping clubs which feel just as soft as the carbon steel Mizunos I've played.

Note: This thread is 6358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!