IGNORED

Used clubs

timbone03
Note: This thread is 4933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My irons still come from a not quite bottom level starter set I bought new years ago, but everything else in my bag I bought used. The Roger Dunn by my house has a huge and super good used club section, with lots of clearly lightly used clubs, plus they have a 90 day money back guarantee, so you basically get a 3-month demo on used clubs. My driver, hybrid, wedge, and putter come from there, and I got my brother a driver there that he bombs....

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All my clubs are bought used apart from my driver and my gap wedge. I love buying used clubs, but I only tend to buy the stuff on eBay that are anomalies i.e. they for some reason go for less than usual. That way, if i dont get on with the club i can sell it for more. I go through putters like you wouldn't believe.
What I Play:
Wilson Mini Stand Bag | PING G10, 10.5°, Proforce V2 HL S | PING G5, 15°, 18°, Aldila NV 75 S | PING G5, 19°, Aldila VS Proto By You 80 S
Mizuno MX200 4-PW S | Ping Tour W 50/12 X | Ping Tour W 58/TS X | A selection of putters, all 35.5 inches.

My last set were calloway x-18's that I bought from Calloway pre-owned and I traded them in recently for a hardly used set of ping g-10's, web fit to me with brand new grips. I only paid $280 for the pings after trade in on the x-18s. I only buy used from reputable dealers. What concerns me about used clubs is people who buy the to good to be true deals and get a set of counterfeits, find out that you get what you pay for and then try and sell them as legit clubs.

14 at any time: Nike Sumo Sq 10.5 degree, Srixon 12 degree 3 wood, Nike 17 degree 4 wood, Adams 3 hybrid, X-18 irons 3-pw, Callaway 52 degree, Vokey 56 & 60, Taylormade Rossa putter

I buy clubs so rarely that I buy new as a treat to myself. But I do a lot of shopping before I buy so I do save some money. Nothing wrong with used though - new clubs become used pretty quickly with any luck!

I would be divorced if I bought a new set of irons. Anyway, I also like buying used. I bought an "old school" Ping Pal putter off craigs list....which I love. A couple of weeks ago I saw a Mizuno Driving Iron (14 degrees) lying on the floor at a local used sports equipment store and couldn't resist buying it as a possible option for use on the tee. I tend to top my driver, 3-wood, and even hybrids when hitting off the tee, but I've really come to like this club. Last night while hitting range balls at 48F, I hit several straight down the range with over 200 yards of carry and not too many topped shots. I consider the Mizuno a real find and I'm having a new grip put on it today. Buying used clubs allows me to try things I might not otherwise be willing to try.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I would be divorced if I bought a new set of irons. Anyway, I also like buying used. I bought an "old school" Ping Pal putter off craigs list....which I love. A couple of weeks ago I saw a Mizuno Driving Iron (14 degrees) lying on the floor at a local used sports equipment store and couldn't resist buying it as a possible option for use on the tee. I tend to top my driver, 3-wood, and even hybrids when hitting off the tee, but I've really come to like this club. Last night while hitting range balls at 48F, I hit several straight down the range with over 200 yards of carry and not too many topped shots. I consider the Mizuno a real find and I'm having a new grip put on it today. Buying used clubs allows me to try things I might not otherwise be willing to try.

Don't just throw any grip on there - try to match the original. I regripped some older woods earlier this year and inadvertantly changed the swingweight enough that I didn't like them as much.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

My last set were calloway x-18's that I bought from Calloway pre-owned and I traded them in recently for a hardly used set of ping g-10's, web fit to me with brand new grips. I only paid $280 for the pings after trade in on the x-18s. I only buy used from reputable dealers. What concerns me about used clubs is people who buy the to good to be true deals and get a set of counterfeits, find out that you get what you pay for and then try and sell them as legit clubs.

Callaway not Calloway.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Callaway not Calloway.

Because of that crazy old english "C" and poor hearing, a couple of old guys I played a round with insist that company is pronounced "Gal-o-way".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Don't just throw any grip on there - try to match the original. I regripped some older woods earlier this year and inadvertantly changed the swingweight enough that I didn't like them as much.

Good point. Golf galaxy didn't have any Mizuno grips but I saw that the original grip was a Lamkin so I replaced it with a similar Lamkin. However, I did go with a midsize which is more comfortable for me. I haven't hit with it yet but it felt great during a few practice swings. I stopped by two driving ranges for a quick test on the way home from work but they were both closed due to the weather (cold and rainy).

I don't know what the swing weight is for a Mizuno Driving Iron but it's got to be up there because the club feels "heavy," so I'm not sure how noticeable different grip styles would be. Anyway, I consider it one of my better $21 (including new grip) used golf equipment purchases.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

I bought my irons, driver, and hybrids used. I bought my two wedges, 3-wood, and putter new. The putter was a gift, the 3-wood was dirt cheap, and one of the wedges was on sale.

I always start my search by looking used because there are a lot of good deals out there. Wedges can sometimes get beat-up and I like the look of them, so I tend to shy away from getting them used, but even that's not a big deal to me.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Since I only recently started playing my clubs are mostly used and I went through a few different ones figuring out what I liked. I like what I have now, and its given me ideas about what I want to purchase new in the future. The only new clubs I have are my wedges and putter.
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

Note: This thread is 4933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!