IGNORED

What causes the 90 degree shank on a chip?

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is a very interesting thread for me. I have spent a huge amount of time practising chipping over the past year or so. If feel that it has paid off as I am now confident that I can very often get the ball within 1 putt range, and at worst get it safely on the green and comfortably 2 putt. I usually use my 56 deg gap wedge, but will use a 60 deg lob wedge when I want less roll. However.... Every so often, and for no obvious reason (at least as far as I can see/feel), suddenly my chips start to go sideways (ie off to the right, for a right hander). I would not say it is at 90 degrees to the intended path, but it is certainly 60-70 degrees - more than enough to ruin a hole, and possibly even the whole card. Just as bad is that even when I am chipping well I always have it in the back of my mind that it might break down at any minute....This can lead me to start to slightly steer/pull my chips and so lose accuracy. My friend told me this weekend that he thinks I am decelerating and lifting my head when it happens. Now that he mentions it, I think this is probably correct, especially the deceleration as it seems to happen most when I am playing what feels like a "half shot". But I am also interested in the analysis above about an in-to-out swing path and an open club face. I think that I probably have that combination (and a 5 h'capper I played with recently also said I had an exaggerated in-to-out swing path). I am confident chipping to different distances and at different heights. However, I think my problem with what I have referred to above as a "half shot" (ie an intermediate distance) is that I get a brain freeze and instead of thinking of it as a full shot for that distance (ie choke down on the grip or have a shorter back swing and still commit to an accelerating downswing), I view it as a softer version of a longer shot - and hence the deceleration. This discussion might help to make me think about the shot correctly, and also try to apply the other issues being discussed. So although I think I was starting to get to the bottom of my problem (or at least this particular one!), this thread has certainly helped me think more about causes and cures. Thank you! Plenty to practise at the range next time....! Matt

I started shanking my chips when my pro began teaching me the 'hinge and hold' method.  The fix was to start by doing really short chip shots - to try to just land the ball a couple of metres away using the hinge and hold method.  Perhaps using the right hand only (i did this today and it really helped).  And then from there graduate to longer chips/pitches.  If it goes wrong again, go back to hitting these tiny little chips.  I was taking the club back on the wrong path i was told, too much outside.

Here is the simple version answer:  Your missing the clubface completely, I think we can all agree on that.  My opinion is that your moving your head (and god knows what else) all over the place.

Put your weight on your left side, keep your head "on" or "in front of the ball".  Certainly if you do only these 2 things, you cannot miss the clubface entirely and shank short chip shots.

• 3 years later...
As one guy has already mentioned I'd make sure you're not decelerating through your pitch shots. After hitting a full sand wedge at the range and then going to a shorter distance, if you start decelerating vs taking a shorter back swing you will most certainly open up the club face and shank it every time.

I was shanking terribly one practice day until i realized i wasnt even looking at the ball when i was chipping. focus on the back of the ball and dont look up to quick to see your shot.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

Trying to chip like a putt with minimal body turn. Maybe time to do it different.

I putt and chip with the same grip, and stroke, (Paul Runyon style)  and I have never, ever shanked a chip shot.

As for the OP saying the grass is closing the club, perhaps using a metal wood when the grass height is too high for an iron might work better.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When chipping or pitching keep weight on your front foot a bit and keep your shoulders level don't dip into your right side. From here aim the blade of the wedge to your target and swing straight back and through. The cause is the blade of your wedge is aimed dead right before you hit the ball the weight is on your back foot and your hunched to the right doomed before you even hit the shot.

Note: This thread is 3134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!