IGNORED

When is it too cold to stop playing golf?

Uncle Peter
Note: This thread is 4854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went out to the club yesterday for lunch. There were about 6 total playing. Temps around 45 but with a good breeze. That is a deal buster for me. I need 50 degrees with no wind.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Pine Ridge is in Coram. They have the best deals on green fees throughout the season. Peak season twilight starts at 2 and it's only $35 with cart. Off-peak twilight starts at 1 and right now you can purchase noon tee times for $22 on golfnow.com. I definitely can bare mid 30's and above as long as the winds are sustainable. If I do chip in with a friend for one of those cart covers, I think I'd be able to weather a decent amount of wind.

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

Is Pine Ridge in Coram? I played today at Heatherwood. $19 for 18 walker. It was a nice day on the course today. No wool cap or winter golf gloves. Cold weather layering still needed.

« Keith »

Awesome wrx_ will have to check it out. I like the fact that the fees have gone down, $19 any time any day for walking 18 at Heatherwood. Check it out. Maybe I will see ya on the Coram course when your ankle is better.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Originally Posted by EnergyMatt

Hey MSDOGS1976 - is that a black labby I spy in your dp?

Yep, my good buddy. I need to teach him to retrieve golf balls from the lake instead of bird dummies. ;)

lab

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I dont know how you guys up north do it.....

I am soooooo sick of this cold weather already. I know, I know, 45* is nothing, but it just sucked today at the range. It was overcast so I couldnt see the ball flying anywhere past 180 until it hit the ground. I left in a terrible mood because my swing has been less than satisfactory as of late. I want the warm weather to come back so Im not 10-15 yards shorter on every iron and my driver will get to its usual distance.

One of my biggest problems with the cold is keeping my hands warm. It doenst feel nice when I mishit a ball, but to do it with numb hands is borderline painful.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hate the winter, going to attempt to play tomorrow if the winds aren't too bad. Will be heading to Myrtle Beach to see my pops and brothers. Oh yeah and to golf as many times as I can during my stay. Don't really know what to expect. Any tips and good courses for a beginner to try?

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

I played Sunday here and it was 38-40* with about a 10 mph breeze.

I was 2 over for 7 holes and then proceeded to blow up. I had four 3 putts for the round and an OB, jacked an 8 over the green on easy hole. I've never been over that green!!

By about the 12th, I couldn't get a good rotation and my rt hamstring was so tight, I was useless.

Under 40 is too cold for me now.

I can say I've played in just about every cold playable condition possible, from frozen fairways to 40* and pouring with 15 + mph winds.

It's just not fun in those conditions.

WITB
Titleist 910 D3 Motore F3
Ping G15 4wd TFC
Adams A12 20* RIP'd VS Proto, Adams CB2 Forged 4-GW DGSL S300 Scratch 8620 54* and 58*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC4 TaylormadeTP Red/ Wilson Staff FG tour

It's too cold for me when I can't keep my hands warm without putting them in my pockets.  Golf stops being fun when it ends up being more about staying warm between shots than about playing the shots themselves.

Guess I'm getting old.  I used to be able to play in the coldest of weather.  Frozen water hazard lucky break shots are officially out of my repertoire.

40 degrees is my cut off. Wind is a factor, but I've practiced in some pretty bad stuff.

R11 10* | cobra.gif Baffler TWS 20*

titleist.gif AP2 4-PW |vokey.gif 52*, 56* and nike.gif60* SV Tour |  Scotty Cameron Newport 2 TOUR ONLY | ping.gif Hoofer | titleist.gif NXT Tour

As long as the course is open, I'll be there.  However, we just got a foot of snow Sunday so I'm pretty sure I played my last round of 2010 last Thursday (did birdie the last hole though - finished on a good note).

We are pretty spoiled here in the SW deserts.   But the next few days are supposed to be hard freezes with hight in the low 50 to high 40s.  So I think I'm about to learn just how cold is too cold.  What few times I have ever played in temps this low I found the ball to be awful hard when mis-hit and it doesn't go very far either.

Butch

Would kill for low 50's to mid 40's. Snow and wind with a boat load of snow here in NY. Miserable.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

If it was sunny w/ no wind I could probably play to about 30 but i would need two flasks.

I played in a pretty solid rain that I kept thinking would let up yesterday for about 3 hours in the low 40's.  The rain was the problem.  I ordered an umbrella for my pushcart when I got home.

39, 44, 46. What are those? The temps here in NY for the next few days. What are the odds the boat load of snow we got is off the course by Saturday? Would love to get out to play a round of 18. Keeping my fingers crossed maybe a drive by the course I play is in order.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

40 and sunny is not uncomfortable at all. 30 and windy is kind of harsh, but if it's not raining a lot, or frozen on the course, it's all good to play up here. I play with a group of 12~15 on Tuesdays (depending on how many show up on that day) and we go out in foursomes to play. As long as there's not snow people come out to play.

titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* titleist.gif 910F 13.5* 
titleist.gif 909H 17* titleist.gif AP2 710 3, 5-PW
vokey.gif Spin Milled 52*08| 56*11 | 60*07
taylormade.gif Rossa Classic Imola 8 AGSI

Sunny and 50 today in NY. No golf because of the useless snow Still on the course. What a waste of a beautiful day.

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

I play in below freezing if the the course is open. Around here we have about dozen days below freezing each winter about 2 or 3 dozen nights. This of courses freezes the fairways so they are rock hard and you can hit drives that carry 200 yards and run out to 300. It really changes the game as your approach needs to land 30 or even 40 yards short of the green and then bounce up, but if you hit the rough, though the ground is frozen you loose all the roll and allot of the bounce. It allot of fun to play in these conditions.

The downside is when the ground is frozen we are not aloud on the greens and play to very small temp greens cut into the fairway. But hey at least we can get out and play.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Note: This thread is 4854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!