IGNORED

Wind...gotta love it

mcgriff
Note: This thread is 4899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the harder you hit a shot the shorter it will go because of backspin.

Yep...when it's breezy, swing easy...

One thing the wind has helped with is that knockdown punch type shot that when hit well looks like it just traces through the wind unaffected. Trajectory is key as well as controlling the amount of backspin. It is easy to lose your tempo and feel with a real windy day...if you don't know where the ball is going then playing in the wind is only going to frustrate you more.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Lots of varied replies. One thing I DO hate about the wind is at the range like was mentioned earlier. 200y drives....40 yard full wedge shots....3W, 4W, 3H, 4H all going the same distance....bleh. Most of us can agree that the wind does force us to play better golf even if we shoot crappier scores.

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

No matter how much I tell myself I'm prepared for the wind, or how much I'm going to enjoy playing in the wind (which I will), the first 3 or 4 holes inevitably leave me completely flustered. Falling short in to sandtraps I've never been close to entering before, overshooting greens by 20 or 30 yards, and losing all sense of perspective and experience when time comes to pick the right club out of the bag.

Usually I keep my spirits up (cause it's golf afterall) and after some more back and forth/give and take on the front 9 I've got it mostly figured out at the turn. I really, really enjoy wind golf on the back 9.

It was blowing almost 30 knots out of the South East this morning and I did not particularly love trying to scrape around the course. On the plus side, did hit my longest measured drive yet at 293 yards, downhill and downwind.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

last competition of the year is on today.

there's near gale force winds and it's pouring with rain.
Course is still open though.

Wish me luck!

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Hit my 7 iron almost 200 yards today and hit my 6 iron almost 150 yards today. Anyone else like playing in the wind? I used to hate it, now I enjoy it. For whatever reason I focus more when the wind is howling.

I am with you; I think the wind is fun cuz it brings another demension to the game and I do have to focus more and remember, "when its breezy, swing easy". What I have found is that there are some shots you need to have in your bag. Like a good 3/4 shot, knock down/knock down draw shot, bump & run shots and a punch shot--these are all based off of a 3/4 shot--these shots, when done correctly will keep the ball down. If its a steady wind, which in my mind is the easiest of them all, is just a matter of deciding how many club wind it is and paying attention to whether you are play'n into the wind, with the wind or the wind on the side. Side winds are the trickiest for me. If its a puffy wind it is really important to keep the ball below the top of the trees; and however windy it is at gound level its probably twice that above the tree tops. If its a links style course then I'm back to the old 3/4 shots.

There is a course up in Hood River, Or, Indian Creek and I love that course with a 30-40 mph west wind. I've had times there when I could only get 150 yds out of my 5i which is my 175-180 yd club normally. Of course this is just the way I approch it, not to be confused with the only way to do it.

I don't mind the wind so much until it gets strong enough to push you off your stance at address. Or when you're preparing for a bunker shot with the wind in your face, and you know you're about to get blasted with sand on your follow-through.

In the bag:
Ping G5 Driver 9 degree, Ping G10 3-wood, Nike 3 hybrid, TaylorMade R9 Irons 4-AW, Cleveland CG15 56 and 60 degree wedges, Odyssey 2-ball blade putter

I like it quite a bit. Usually when it is windy here, it isn't that nice and can get around quickly. I like the challenge of it when I'm hitting it ok. When I'm not, it makes for a rough day. There is a couple of situations I don't care and they are: Dead into the wind when long is dead. If I take an extra club or 2 and hit it pure and the wind doesn't touch it with a short iron in my hand. Also driving the ball with a big wind from the right. I play a draw normally and I have a tendency to smother hook it if I'm trying to work it back into the wind or I try to play a high cut with the wind I over do it. Down from the left, I can bomb it. I played nine in a big wind on Wednesday and these two situations hurt me. Its just unconfortable for me.

Brian

Note: This thread is 4899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!