IGNORED

Lee Westwood - World number 1

Tiger Spuds
Note: This thread is 4889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Some of that is coaching and management's ability to put together a championship team. Is Ben Roethlisberger better than Dan Marino? Than Peyton Manning?

You can't compare an individuals accomplishments in a team sport to an individual in a non-team sport. Tiger is still the best player on the tour, but the math used by the PGA rewards event participation and consistent finishes near the top over victories (I think NASCAR uses a similar scheme). I highly doubt anyone would pick Westwood to beat Tiger head to head right now.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't compare an individuals accomplishments in a team sport to an individual in a non-team sport. Tiger is still the best player on the tour, but the math used by the PGA rewards event participation and consistent finishes near the top over victories (I think NASCAR uses a similar scheme).

LOL - based on what?

Woods' ahem , 'mythical aura' that crushes opponents before they've even tee'd off? Get real.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

No, Nicklaus isn't active. Tiger is still playing, and his accomplishments have been recent. He won his last major just 2 years ago. He won 6 tournaments last year. That's current.

I know, but what has that got to do with him winning 10 majors and 40 tournaments more than anyone else?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

LOL - based on what?

Based on skills, forget where these guys live and look at skills. Would you really place a significant bet on Westwood against Tiger head to head? I see a little too much national pride and not enough logic here in your argument.

Joe Paradiso

Based on skills, forget where these guys live and look at skills. Would you really place a significant bet on Westwood against Tiger head to head? I see a little too much national pride and not enough logic here in your argument.

Right back at ya.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

LOL - based on what?

If you want the most recent data- 2010 Ryder Cup record. Tiger 3 pts, Westwood 2.5 pts.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Right back at ya.

My argument isn't based on national pride, in fact I don't particularly like Tiger, but that doesn't change he's a great golfer.

Joe Paradiso

My argument isn't based on national pride, in fact I don't particularly like Tiger, but that doesn't change he's a great golfer.

He had a good Ryder Cup. Other than one of the Molinari brothers, who else did he beat mano a mano in 2010? I'm not saying Westwood was stellar in that regard either, compared to Kaymer.

BTW - the rankings don't factor in how player A would fare against player B. It is what it is.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I don't care about national pride either - in my posts you can see I'm a 'Kaymer-ite'...

Fact is, aside from crushing Molinari, Woods isn't playing great golf and hasn't done for a long time...I'm on the 'Tiger Bandwagon' - I just want to see it rolling again...
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Am I missing something here?

WGR is based on points = Lee Westwood is now world ranked number 1, mathematically.

Is he the "best" player in the world = No not IMHO.

So then WGR is as it says, Lee Westwood is ranked number 1 in the WGR but no where does it say he is the best golfer in the world, I thought that was pretty obvious...

:tmade: M2 10.5° - Fujikura Pro 60 - Stiff
:tmade: V-Steel 18° - M.A.S Ultralight- Stiff
:ping: G400 4-UW - AWT 2.0 - Stiff
:tmade: Tour Preferred 58° ATV - KBS Tour-V - Wedge
:scotty_cameron: Select SquareBack - 34" - SuperStroke MS 2.0

When was the last time lee westwood finished a tournament at +18 then

Lee is according to the formula the PGA uses, the number 1 player. Just like everything you cannot encompass all facets of golf to provide a perfect answer. The fact is, Tiger was a better number one. He beat all comers in every catagory. He still has dominant attributes over Lee. I would not say Lee is the number one golfer but the guy that did what it took to take the position away. I think any others, like Kaymer in particular are just not seasoned enough yet but better than Lee. Lee played by the rules and deserves the spot. PGA is the problem because the number 1 position appears to be greedily based on participation than raw abilities. There is a enough to justify the number one pick but it is in the best interest in the PGA rather than who is the most kick ass player.

I guess we need a "coaches poll" for golf now. Who wants to formulate it?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

He had a good Ryder Cup. Other than one of the Molinari brothers, who else did he beat mano a mano in 2010? I'm not saying Westwood was stellar in that regard either, compared to Kaymer.

I understand that, as do you. Many people associate #1 ranking with being the best. My point was the while Westwood has the distinction of being #1 ranked player, which according to the formula he deserves, that doesn't mean he's the best player or better than Tiger.

Joe Paradiso

I understand that, as do you. Many people associate #1 ranking with being the best. My point was the while Westwood has the distinction of being #1 ranked player, which according to the formula he deserves, that doesn't mean he's the best player or better than Tiger.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

How can you be the best if you haven't won one of the 4 biggest tournaments in the game? Maybe I'm being too harsh, what's your opinion on the matter?

I agree. Nothing against Westwood as I like him. A good consistent player with a nice resume. But not number 1, IMO. I guess the formula for the rankings gets it done for him, but the formula must be a little off for a non-major winner to become number 1. But it really doesn't matter to me who is ranked what.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Not really Lee's fault is it! He could easily lose it this week as well.
Thought I read somewhere that Couples, Woosnam and one other? achieved the same thing before winning a major?
I think you have to give him credit for the way he's rejuvenated his career after appearing finished around 2003.

The best thing about this whole Lee Westwood #1 thing is that Tiger's old victories from 2 years ago have finally rolled off the list. Next year we should see a real '#1' when everyone starts playing again on a regular basis.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

Note: This thread is 4889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!