Sign in to follow this  
cold

Mediocre Shafts on Iron Sets

Note: This thread is 3275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 posts / 1423 viewsLast Reply

In Canada the big golf store is called Golf Town. I noticed that they only sell iron sets with the standard True Temper shafts.

Does the shaft type matter less for irons? Are any of you particular to the quality of the shafts on your irons? Are most golf stores like this?

(At Golf Smith you can buy the gold TT shafts for $13 each... the Rifle shafts are $32 each )

http://www.golfsmith.com/cm/browse/s...on-shaft-steel

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Mediocre? True Temper steel shafts are great. Just because their less expensive doesn't make them inferior to other steel shafts. I mean, tiger uses them, so they have to be good right? lol

It is kind of odd that they only offer one shaft on all iron sets, though.

True Temper is as good as any other shaft on the market. Gold standard for a reason. I've got a set with TT Dynamics, TT Dynamic Golds, and TT Dynalite Golds. All great shafts.

True.. They are really good shafts and a lot of pros are using them on tour. I love mine compared to my buddies Project X shafts in his irons that are the same as mine.

Those standard True Temper shafts are one of the best shafts out there IMO. They are on most of the irons at Golf Town for good reason.

arent they just standard from the factory
Golftown basically = golfsmith
But they use launch monitor fitting even less lol

arent they just standard from the factory

The one in my neck of the woods have great monitors (you can rent space on them for playing rounds) but they don't have a monitor that provides club head speed. You have to look at other data and do the math.

On topic, I love the DG S300 shaft because they're consistent and I'm used to them. Is a more expensive shaft even better? Meh.

On topic, I love the DG S300 shaft because they're consistent and I'm used to them. Is a more expensive shaft even better? Meh.

You are a wise man. The S300 has been a Tour staple for many a year.

I don't think I've ever owned any set of irons that didn't come with S300s. Before I started hanging out on the internet, where all shafts are xx-flex and extruded from some exotic vanadium alloy, I just assumed that was pretty much what you got issued unless you were a pro of some kind.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll echo that TT makes good shafts, but I'm surprised if that's all they have in the steel department. Adams' new clubs have KBS as a standard, and I'd be shocked if any reasonably sized store didn't have something with some flavor of Project X in stock.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In Canada the big golf store is called Golf Town. I noticed that they only sell iron sets with the standard True Temper shafts. Wierd. Online they have different offerings.

Does the shaft type matter less for irons? No, you need to fit your shafts to your ability & desired ballflight. I play flexier steel to help me get the ball up because of my spastic swing tendencies, while good players use TTDG S300s & such to keep the ballflight down & under control.
Are any of you particular to the quality of the shafts on your irons? Yes, but only to a point. I'm not going to spend primo money if i'm not playing that much.
Are most golf stores like this? I'm suprised to hear that. I've only been there once & it was to trade-in a driver. Even nevada bob's has different iron shafts selections.

(At Golf Smith you can buy the gold TT shafts for $13 each... the Rifle shafts are $32 each )

Golftown is Canada's version of the Big Box golf store. So, depending on the location, you will find over 100 sets of irons on display at any given time with a variety of shafts. But, and this is a big but, the standard is to stock what the manufacturer ships that they can sell. So exotic shafts don't often appear, for example. But you can also get custom options fitted as required - so if you don't want DGS S300, you can request something different from manufacturer and they will order for you or you can go crazy and get Golftown to do full re-shaft - at additional cost of course.

So what does your local golf store stock that is different? I would have thought all comparable big box stores would have the same strategy.

http://www.golftown.com/Category_LIS...&CategoryId;=77

On this link within the first two pages I can find DG, KBS, Nippon as std shafts as well as the variety of graphite options and my local GT store has this stuff in stock now or I have seen it recently.

In Canada the big golf store is called Golf Town. I noticed that they only sell iron sets with the standard True Temper shafts. Wierd. Online they have different offerings.

(32-13) x 8 = 152

Are they worth $150 difference? If so, go for it.

Note: This thread is 3275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!