IGNORED

Video Analysis has changed my game forever

LeviTee
Note: This thread is 4870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You are reinforcing the view of my sub-conscious mind. But your post wrongly implies that I have left said receptacle ....

Well you play golf and regularly post on the Sandtrap...just those facts alone speak to your mental state (and mine).

On occasion, I will pull out a camera, but seriously, the last few lessons that I have taken have been about feeling the golf swing. It is just easier for me to bring that to the course. Images are fine and next weekend I will bring my camera just because this has piqued my interest.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I totally agree. If you have an iPhone 3 or 4 or an andriod (don't know them) you should check out V1 Golf. I can literally shoot a decent video at the range, turn around, and watch it frame by frame within 20 seconds. I don't even post videos on here yet because it's so easy that I can take 10-15 a day and see my flaws in all.

I also find the v1 app great, but have yet to find a decent way to clip it to my carry bag. What do you use to hold the phone?

Well you play golf and regularly post on the Sandtrap...just those facts alone speak to your mental state (and mine).

Too true (the demonstrated mental state ....).

Actually I am looking forward to using the videocam when I have the time/opportunity to do it. I also am focused on "feel" after spending too much time on the mechanical side. I'm hoping that viewing images and comparing them with my "feel" (kinesthetic) data will help me to develop the right feel. Clearly you need the best performance data to be able to make the mental association, and video is a pretty darned good source.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Clearly you need the best performance data to be able to make the mental association, and video is a pretty darned good source.

Video doesn't lie...I think I will try the same thing...and if I hit balls with the camera on, I can comment after each swing to what I felt and then compare to what I can see in replay.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

In my earlier post on this thread, I mentioned how one could actually make feel become real with a high speed camera. Remember the swing thought you used for the swing and then play it back to see to what extent it's working. Adjust accordingly. It's incredible the amount of exaggeration one must make in order to get just an inch of change.

I haven't filmed my swing much in a couple months, but when I was doing it regularly in August, in the file, I would write out what swing thought I was using as well as the date on which the clip was filmed. It makes it more interesting when I'm reviewing old swings months later.

Right now, the only swing thought I'm using relates to a flat left wrist/forward shaft lean/maintaining the flying wedge. I need a pair of educated hands badly. If I don't think about my hands specifically, I will always flip. Time will only tell how long it will be before this becomes engrained. I really need to exaggerate the feeling of holding my left wrist back to get the swing to look correct on video. It's taken me quite a while to arrive at this helpful swing thought, and without video, I probably never would have gotten here.

It is my hope that I won't have to think about my hands at all sometime soon. When that happens, my next plan is to use a swing thought that gets me to slide my hips laterally longer in the downswing, with my right foot staying planted for longer and rolling correctly towards the left foot.

IMO once these two pieces are working relatively subconsciously (the flat left wrist, the hip slide), I will be able to play this game on a much higher level than I am right now.

All summer I only used backswing swing thoughts. They related mostly to getting my hands deeper, my takeaway being Ricky Fowleresque, my shoulders turning steeper, and my right leg straightening. Finally, these have become decently engrained to the point where I don't have to think about them. Obviously, these pieces could be improved on (like my over-side tilting), but I decided to move on to the hands when I deemed these pieces to be satisfactory enough to move forward.

Anyway, now I'm totally rambling. Hopefully I can get out there this weekend. I'm obviously fiending for some golf right now.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by Stretch

The EX-FS10 is under $100. Next (and worthwhile, in my opinion) step up is the EX-FC100 at $175 or so.

Read all about it: http://thesandtrap.com/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

I've started to video my swing but right now I only have a Flip camera... it does ok, but I want something that has higher FPS... I found the above mentioned EX-FS10 for $90 on Amazon and was thinking of picking it up.... what makes the EX-FC100 a worthwhile step up... obviously the EX-FS10 will be a major improvement over the Flip but I want to make sure that two or three months from now I'm not kicking myself for not spending the extra $70.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stretch

The EX-FS10 is under $100. Next (and worthwhile, in my opinion) step up is the EX-FC100 at $175 or so.

Read all about it: http://thesandtrap.com/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

I've started to video my swing but right now I only have a Flip camera... it does ok, but I want something that has higher FPS... I found the above mentioned EX-FS10 for $90 on Amazon and was thinking of picking it up.... what makes the EX-FC100 a worthwhile step up... obviously the EX-FS10 will be a major improvement over the Flip but I want to make sure that two or three months from now I'm not kicking myself for not spending the extra $70.

I'm actually looking at the same cameras too. According to this website: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3999&review;=casio+exilim+fs10 the Ex-FC100 has 5X optical zoom, and "CMOS anti-shake stabilization," both of which the EX-FS10 lack. I'm not much of a picture taker (so I won't really need the zoom), and since I will be usually be using a tripod I don't really need the stabilization either (plus the EX-FS10 comes with digital image stabilization anyway), so I'm leaning towards the EX-FS10. Plus the sub-$90 price tag on Amazon is really nice.

Edit: I decided to go for the EX-FS10. The specs are great and the deal was too good to pass up.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by wrx_junki

Wish I could say the same. I see my swing like every few months on video and I want to throw up. I don't think I like any part of my swing. I take the club way inside, way past parallel, cast it from the top while throwing my shoulders, then release whatever hinge I have left before impact. Before video I always thought I had a decent swing, it really opened my eyes.

I'll take your word for it, but then again you're a 9.0 - I'd take that deal any time.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by chuckanderson

I totally agree. If you have an iPhone 3 or 4 or an andriod (don't know them) you should check out V1 Golf. I can literally shoot a decent video at the range, turn around, and watch it frame by frame within 20 seconds. I don't even post videos on here yet because it's so easy that I can take 10-15 a day and see my flaws in all.

I have the iPhone 4 and I have been watching my own swings but is that software worth the $10?

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

Originally Posted by Neco

I have the iPhone 4 and I have been watching my own swings but is that software worth the $10?

I just use SP free which allows you to take two videos and you then have to delete them to record more. The full version costs a few bucks but less than the $10 of V1.

Driver: :tmade: R1 S 10 degree Wood: :ping: G20 3W Hybrid: :nike:Covert Pro 3H
Irons: :tmade: Rocketbladez Tour 4i-AW KBS S SW: :cleveland: CG15 54 degree
LW: :cleveland: CG15 58 degree Putter: :tmade: Corza Ghost Ball: :tmade: Penta

Originally Posted by k14

Quote:

I just use SP free which allows you to take two videos and you then have to delete them to record more. The full version costs a few bucks but less than the $10 of V1.

ah, I didn't try that but I just downloaded the V1 and it is AWESOME.  This will improve my enjoyment of the game so much.

Driver - Taylor Made 09 Burner.
3 Wood - Callaway Diablo.
Hybrid Irons - Adams A30S
Wedges - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled. 56*, 60* Taylormade Rac.
Putter - Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1.

what filming angle do you guys feel is the best for breaking down a swing ... sideways, from the rear or head on ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• Administrator

Originally Posted by inthehole

what filming angle do you guys feel is the best for breaking down a swing ... sideways, from the rear or head on ?

You should Google " Filming your Golf Swing ." You might end up at that link.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

You should Google "Filming your Golf Swing." You might end up at that link.

Great link - thanks for that !!

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Great link Erik.

I have a love hate relationship with video analysis. I love the part that it highlights my problems and helps me improve. But hate it when i see so many issues with my swing :( Last night, i felt i was swinging well but few videos showed some glaring mistakes. Its easy to get bogged down.

ah, I didn't try that but I just downloaded the V1 and it is AWESOME.  This will improve my enjoyment of the game so much.

I got Swing Reader for 99 cents. You can import vids into it, pick you start and stop frames, tempo them, draw lines and circles, and slow down the playback. Amazing how much it helped ( and how bad my "I think I have a good golf swing" really was).

Note: they just updated the app and I haven't used it since then. Only difference I noticed right off was you record through the app now instead of importing from camera roll. I'm planning to hit the indoor range today and get some video so after that I might have a better idea of the updates.

I took Erik's advice and bought a Casio EX FH-25....unbelievable!  I have been teaching for 6 years with a program similar to V-1 called Swingview Pro. Both of these programs are great (you can create a student CD etc.) but the capture rate is 60 fps. The raw footage on the camera shows every detail...mine can go to 1000 fps

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

Note: This thread is 4870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!